Switched to AMD from Intel. Need opinions.

Ok so I have recently decided to ditch intel and only for the simple reason I had a horrible experience messing with ASUS' X99 2011-v3 X99 Pro series motherboard over the last 6 years. I upgraded at launch of the X99 for ridiculous prices. What was THE only ram for 800$+ at 64GB 3200Mhz for GSkill Ripjaws at the time.. the entire build cost me way too much and they ditched the 2011-v3 series a few months after I bought into it. "My mistake for a flagship socket.." but hey, Im a dreamer!

I've decided to upgrade to a more modest build this time around.. after hearing many good things about the MSI Tomahawk line.. I went with the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk. I repair computers and had an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X sitting here and decided to use that until I can upgrade the CPU "Which will follow." I also went with 2x16GB DDR4 Patriot Vipor 3600mhz ram. Ill throw more in later when I want to geek out for my soul I guess. No other reason.

I bought an MSI Gaming AMD MECH RX 6600 X2 8GB GPU which I am upgrading from a Zotac 1660 GPU "Yes a regular 1660"

Right now my question and topic of discussion is aimed at budget.. what will be the best bang for the buck and most reasonable solution to my problem. 

The current build as is is not performing. I assume it is because of the much older 1700X AMD cpu I have installed currently. So to mitigate the bottleneck.. I have come to my final decision on upgrading the CPU. I would love the AMD 3950X.. but I would also love the Ryzen 5000 series.

So my 3 choices have come to the Ryzen 9 5900X or the Ryzen 7 5800X and because of budget I am considering HIGHLY as in top priority atm to buy the AMD Ryzen 7 5700G because I found it for 249.99$ and that falls well into my budget where the other two are 50 to 100$ over. 

My question for the 5700 vs the 5800 and 5900 CPUs is will my 6600 perform better with the higher processing power of the 5900/5800 or will the 5700g work with the 6600 to give me an overall better experience..? or will it not work together with the GPU to even make a difference. Ive done a single build wayyyy in the past for an AMD apu "Excuse me if that is wrong.." but where the cpu works with the gpu but that was when it was first becoming a thing around 2013 or 2014. 

I love discussion and am open to all criticism or advice. I do have a severe TBI so I apologize if I get confused or ask alot of questions. 

If your budget is $300 and you already own the MB, you should go with the 5700X, while the 5700G is similar in most workloads, it's way slower in gaming.

idk if an amd cpu and gpu will work better than say amd cpu and nvidia gpu but i do know that amd cpus LOVE ram more than a linux user likes telling people they use linux

The 5700X would allow you to make the most of your GPU can give depending on resolution/settings and such and if its in your budget and you need a upgrade now then by all means get it. That said I wouldn't expect to be blown away by the performance as that 6600 is not much of GPU at the best of times.

As for any sort of "synergy" between AMD parts if there is any I doubt the gains would be more than a few FPS that could be made up else where with more basic things like keeping parts cooler or getting better parts in the first place.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

7 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

If your budget is $300 and you already own the MB, you should go with the 5700X, while the 5700G is similar in most workloads, it's way slower in gaming.

Could you elaborate a little more for my understanding?

5 minutes ago, ConfiXs said:

idk if an amd cpu and gpu will work better than say amd cpu and nvidia gpu but i do know that amd cpus LOVE ram more than a linux user likes telling people they use linux

Why AMD vs Nvidia? Does the AMD g series work in tandum with Nvidia aswell? I thought it was just an AMD with AMD thing. 

Just for info.. the 6600 runs way better than the 1660 I had. "My 2080TI burnt out so right before the GPU crash aybe a month before in 2020.. I bought the 1660 and then GPU prices sky rocketed a month later. Ive held off on upgrading it and decided to be modest about it instead of paying for still way overpriced gpus. "Compared to what I was used to prior."

6 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

The 5700X would allow you to make the most of your GPU can give depending on resolution/settings and such and if its in your budget and you need a upgrade now then by all means get it. That said I wouldn't expect to be blown away by the performance as that 6600 is not much of GPU at the best of times.

As for any sort of "synergy" between AMD parts if there is any I doubt the gains would be more than a few FPS that could be made up else where with more basic things like keeping parts cooler or getting better parts in the first place.

Ok sweet and I am still a 1080P gamer, I have this TBI and odly enough.. the higher the resolution the more it makes me nauseous.. Ive had to figure this out during my recovery as I used games to also help with my hand eye coordination and cognitivity. Changing from lower 1080P to higher resolutions really messes with my brain. Its hard to explain. Im ordering the 5700X as its only 30$ more.

3 minutes ago, Jaxmanhitt said:

Why AMD vs Nvidia? Does the AMD g series work in tandum with Nvidia aswell? I thought it was just an AMD with AMD thing. 

Just for info.. the 6600 runs way better than the 1660 I had. "My 2080TI burnt out so right before the GPU crash aybe a month before in 2020.. I bought the 1660 and then GPU prices sky rocketed a month later. Ive held off on upgrading it and decided to be modest about it instead of paying for still way overpriced gpus. "Compared to what I was used to prior."

I just used Nvidia as an example because ive always used Nvidia GPUs idk if pairing an AMD made gpu and an amd cpu will make them more "efficient" i guess and theres no real way to test with AMD's competition since intel doesn't own Nvidia

10 minutes ago, Jaxmanhitt said:

Could you elaborate a little more for my understanding?

certain CPUs are setup for different things, for instance AMD threadrippers/EPYC cpus are meant for workload/server applications and thus arent designed for gaming. look at CPUs as cars if youre a car guy, the ryzen 7 5950x is like a ferrari, meant to go fast, sound good, and go around corners well (see this as gaming applications) the ryzen threadripper is like a v8 pickup truck, it CAN go fast (gaming), but its main purpose is workload applications i.e rendering, multimedia ect

4 minutes ago, ConfiXs said:

I just used Nvidia as an example because ive always used Nvidia GPUs idk if pairing an AMD made gpu and an amd cpu will make them more "efficient" i guess and theres no real way to test with AMD's competition since intel doesn't own Nvidia

Ah ok makes sense. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/do-apus-and-dedicated-gpus-work-together.3708452/ I looked for a google search and came up with this. This tells me the 5700g would be basically useless for what I want. 

1 minute ago, Jaxmanhitt said:

Ah ok makes sense. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/do-apus-and-dedicated-gpus-work-together.3708452/ I looked for a google search and came up with this. This tells me the 5700g would be basically useless for what I want. 

the X series of cpu's were also designed from factory to be overclocked and ryzen master even has a single button that does everything for you which is an added benefit if you dont know how to OC

1 minute ago, ConfiXs said:

certain CPUs are setup for different things, for instance AMD threadrippers/EPYC cpus are meant for workload/server applications and thus arent designed for gaming. look at CPUs as cars if youre a car guy, the ryzen 7 5950x is like a ferrari, meant to go fast, sound good, and go around corners well (see this as gaming applications) the ryzen threadripper is like a v8 pickup truck, it CAN go fast (gaming), but its main purpose is workload applications i.e rendering, multimedia ect

I use that analogy all of the time haha 😄  I cant afford the 5950X but the 5700X is in my budget. "Med retired Army.." although I do have a pension, my pension is modest haha therefore I gotta pinch pennys this time around. 

Just now, Jaxmanhitt said:

I use that analogy all of the time haha 😄  I cant afford the 5950X but the 5700X is in my budget. "Med retired Army.." although I do have a pension, my pension is modest haha therefore I gotta pinch pennys this time around. 

yea same here but Air Force, built most of my pc when i was in Lackland and had disposable income and now im just riding out poor financial choices

Just now, ConfiXs said:

the X series of cpu's were also designed from factory to be overclocked and ryzen master even has a single button that does everything for you which is an added benefit if you dont know how to OC

I can overclock, Ive been building and customizing computers since my early teens 13 to be exact. "My 76 yo father had us late in life and he worked on the old size of an entire room IBM computers and brought us up around desktops once those became a thing. Doom, quake, tomb raider etc etc. Im 34 now. After injury I said if I can go in a computer store and build a comp fromscratch with no help.. Id make it what I do. So I am unemployable due to injury and retirement stipulations for benefits.. but I can do my own business aslong as it doesnt impede my dissability or make it worse. I am self taught for the most part and I have even taught myself how to micro solder and work on logic boards and even invested in Trinocular microscopes to become more efficient at it. 

I was just under the impression the g series would work side by side with the 6600 for example to make it run like a 6700XT just as an example.. But I was clearly wrong. I think. 

5 minutes ago, ConfiXs said:

yea same here but Air Force, built most of my pc when i was in Lackland and had disposable income and now im just riding out poor financial choices

Thank you for your service and I hear ya.. During my MEB I was excused from formations because our CSM at Fort Sam found out I was repairing my commands personal and work computers during my free time for fun. Had no morning or evening formations which was really nice. Only had to worry about my appointments. 

I can overclock, Ive been building and customizing computers since my early teens 13 to be exact. "My 76 yo father had us late in life and he worked on the old size of an entire room IBM computers and brought us up around desktops once those became a thing. Doom, quake, tomb raider etc etc. Im 34 now. After injury I said if I can go in a computer store and build a comp fromscratch with no help.. Id make it what I do. So I am unemployable due to injury and retirement stipulations for benefits.. but I can do my own business aslong as it doesnt impede my dissability or make it worse. I am self taught for the most part and I have even taught myself how to micro solder and work on logic boards and even invested in Trinocular microscopes to become more efficient at it. 

I was just under the impression the g series would work side by side with the 6600 for example to make it run like a 6700XT just as an example.. But I was clearly wrong. I think. 

youre lucky you had a cool dad, i learned through MUCH trial and error buying refurbished 2000s pcs for like 100-200 bucks and taking them apart when i was a teen, some day i wanna restore an ibm 5150 or an amiga 1000, idk how to use MSDOS but hey i can learn

Thank you for your service and I hear ya.. During my MEB I was excused from formations because our CSM at Fort Sam found out I was repairing my commands personal and work computers during my free time for fun. Had no morning or evening formations which was really nice. Only had to worry about my appointments. 

id kill for no morning formations, got a disfigured foot from the crap bates boots they give ya and i cant fully extend my right leg anymore cause of surgery on my knee...gotta love rucks

3 minutes ago, ConfiXs said:

youre lucky you had a cool dad, i learned through MUCH trial and error buying refurbished 2000s pcs for like 100-200 bucks and taking them apart when i was a teen, some day i wanna restore an ibm 5150 or an amiga 1000, idk how to use MSDOS but hey i can learn

Sounds like Christmas to me haha, My memory wouldnt allow me to remember anything for MSDOS if I tried. My brother however is another story. He writes code and logistics for the ISS for a NASA subcontractor. They're also building a new JAVA from scratch. That is miles over my head. Thats why I cant do linux myself haha and DOS just reminds me of that. I can however copy paste 🙂

24 minutes ago, ConfiXs said:

id kill for no morning formations, got a disfigured foot from the crap bates boots they give ya and i cant fully extend my right leg anymore cause of surgery on my knee...gotta love rucks

Thats no good, yeh man we hit an IED.. so I had/have an Open dislocation femur fracture/knee. Open dislocation humerus/shoulder fracture. Right hand shattered, left rib broke and cause tension pneumothorax when it punctured my lung. Lower back broke and my right frontal lobe ripped which caused bleeding for 9 days and ripped 4 more times. I was in coma for a month and a week and spent 3 yrs inpatient recovering. I am still outpatient now.. ironically my feet hurt me more than my bones most days haha

11 minutes ago, Jaxmanhitt said:

Thats no good, yeh man we hit an IED.. so I had/have an Open dislocation humerus fracture/knee. Open dislocation humerus/shoulder fracture. Right hand shattered, left rib broke and cause tension pneumothorax when it punctured my lung. Lower back broke and my right frontal lobe ripped which caused bleeding for 9 days and ripped 4 more times. I was in coma for a month and a week and spent 3 yrs inpatient recovering. I am still outpatient now.. ironically my feet hurt me more than my bones most days haha

jesus man youre lucky

2 minutes ago, ConfiXs said:

jesus man youre lucky

Yes I was, very.

4 hours ago, Jaxmanhitt said:

Ok so I have recently decided to ditch intel and only for the simple reason I had a horrible experience messing with ASUS' X99 2011-v3 X99 Pro series motherboard over the last 6 years. I upgraded at launch of the X99 for ridiculous prices. What was THE only ram for 800$+ at 64GB 3200Mhz for GSkill Ripjaws at the time.. the entire build cost me way too much and they ditched the 2011-v3 series a few months after I bought into it. "My mistake for a flagship socket.." but hey, Im a dreamer!

Very interesting choices. You went with an x99 platform, an HEDT platform, which was not cheap but got you pretty much unmatched performance and core count at the time plus you bought an early DDR4 64GB kit and then complained about prices. What? I'm kinda curious why you went that route in the first place if it wasn't in your budget or you didn't want to pay that much. I mean the cost should have been clear with that kind of build from the get go.

The current build as is is not performing. I assume it is because of the much older 1700X AMD cpu I have installed currently.

Two reasons: 1. first gen Ryzen wasn't really all that great and is defenitly holding you back now.         2. Your GPU has only x8 PCIe lanes available and your CPU is only capable of PCIe 3.0

My question for the 5700 vs the 5800 and 5900 CPUs is will my 6600 perform better with the higher processing power of the 5900/5800 or will the 5700g work with the 6600 to give me an overall better experience..?

A 5600X should be enough.

If you really need the 8 cores get a 5700X but with that build you don't need anything higher than that. Either the 5600X or the 5700X should eliminate your performance issues. Also make sure you update your Motherboard BIOS before switching.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

3 hours ago, ConfiXs said:

they dont. Amd gpus are just as fast on amd and intel cpus

3 hours ago, ConfiXs said:

this isnt true. X series chips arent designed for overclocking. X series chips are just the non x cpus, with a bit more core clock. Non x cpus are designed to overclock too. 
hell, even a X series amd cpu is the only amd cpu that doesnt overclock, the 5800x3d.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to order the Ryzen 9 5900X for anyone who posted on this thread. I cancelled my order and waited until my pension came in and did a split payment plan with Newegg. Needless to say, I am beyond happy with the performance of this new chip. Like I said prior, Im not really looking to upgrade every 6 months to a year as I did prior to 2016.. I just want to have something that will last another 5 to 6 years before upgrading again. I was stuck as always with Intel because of their chipset lock and honestly.. just wanted more options and out of Intel and AMD.. AMD clearly has the cheaper better alternative for budget upgrading. I did some digging and the chip I ended up getting had outstanding reviews.. so I got it and was able to overclock tto 4.72Ghz out of the box and went from 20 to 30FPS to Cap fps on just about everything I play. I do not play in 2k or 4k, just an old 1920 by 1080P guy and I like it that way. Built someone a computer a year or two ago just about for just under 3,000$ that had the 10900K Intel cpu and I forget the motherboard now.. but it wasnt cheap and my computer scores higher on every benchmark now. I am considering upgrading the motherboard and returning the one I settled on for an 570x.. not sure yet.

20220623_145055.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-204655_Discord.jpg