Unable to connect to most websites after some uptime.

aDoomGuy

Hey guys.

This got me. If I left my PC on during the night I can't go to most websites. Actually the only ones I found working are hosted by Google (Google.com, Youtube etc). Restarting PC resolve this until the next day.聽馃槄

Seriously I haven't got a clue. Windows internet troubleshooter comes up with diddly and says it can't identify any problems when this is going on. I tried to reset the network card, uninstall and reinstall fresh drivers for my nic (onboard). I also ran SFC and it fixed some things but didn't help with this issue either.

Trying to google this issue is diddly too as far as I can see. I might just pull out the nuke and reinstall Windows at this point.

15 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I might just pull out the nuke and reinstall Windows at this point.

Weird, maybe try with reinstalling chipset drivers instead?

Oh snap! I post no hardware things... Is in my sig though but nevertheless...

Asus ROG B450-F uses Intel 1211 Intel nic...

Ryzen 3600x.

6 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Weird, maybe try with reinstalling chipset drivers instead?

聽Could be worth a try. Thanks.

Weird, indeed.

what DNS servers are you using?聽 Maybe try using 8.8.8.8 for example and see if that helps..

36 minutes ago, Allan B said:

what DNS servers are you using?

Some stale DNS cache or similar was my first thought, see if you can resolve FQDN's with nslookup in a shell?

3 hours ago, Allan B said:

what DNS servers are you using?聽 Maybe try using 8.8.8.8 for example and see if that helps..

Hmm DNS servers don't usually change with a reboot though right? I'm using default ISP DNS.

3 hours ago, Ralphred said:

Some stale DNS cache or similar was my first thought, see if you can resolve FQDN's with nslookup in a shell?

May be cache yeah, I might try pinging and resolve lookup when the problem occurs again. The only IP I know by heart though to ping is Google which are the only servers that work (strangely). I did a nslookup on a site I know will be problematic if I have the issue and copied their IP to use later so...

When issue comes back I'll try ping and nslookup. Then I'll do a /flushdns and see if that does anything at all and if not try Google DNS to see if that fixes anything.聽

Thanks guys, you might be on to something here.聽馃槂

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Then I'll do a /flushdns and see if that does anything at all

It's worth looking into whether or not your browser shuts down fully when you close all it's windows (erm, TaskManager? (windows semi-literate *nix User here)), I've seen background processes keeping stale caches alive far longer than they should, because "reasons" before.

1 hour ago, Ralphred said:

It's worth looking into whether or not your browser shuts down fully when you close all it's windows (erm, TaskManager? (windows semi-literate *nix User here)), I've seen background processes keeping stale caches alive far longer than they should, because "reasons" before.

Interesting. Due to laziness I'm using Egde actually (and because it's Chromium now).

(Did I really forget to post this..?)

@Ralphred

It happened again after 31 hours of uptime. nslookup resolves. Ping also resolves with 0 lost packages and normal latency.

/flushdns and /renew doesn't help. As @Allan B聽suggested changing dns to 8.8.8.8 and then doing /flushdns /renew helped.

So something fishy with DNS, but is the issue local or with my ISP I wonder...

19 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

nslookup resolves. Ping also resolves

Would indicate it's a local 'browser'* issue, as nslookup and ping are simple tools. I'd grab a copy of聽falkon browser, and keep it on standby to test with (it's tiny, unaffiliated and quick, but don't expect to use it as you daily browser)

*Though, it could still be a mis-configured DNS server from your ISP,聽 setting TTL's way to high for some reason, so you local cache is convinced it's "up to date" when it isn't, just switching to 1.1.1.1 would highlight if this is the problem (as it would go away).

1 hour ago, Ralphred said:

Would indicate it's a local 'browser'* issue, as nslookup and ping are simple tools. I'd grab a copy of聽falkon browser, and keep it on standby to test with (it's tiny, unaffiliated and quick, but don't expect to use it as you daily browser)

*Though, it could still be a mis-configured DNS server from your ISP,聽 setting TTL's way to high for some reason, so you local cache is convinced it's "up to date" when it isn't, just switching to 1.1.1.1 would highlight if this is the problem (as it would go away).

Sounds fair. The same issue happened with DNS 8.8.8.8 and even worse with my PC dropping connectivity alltogether and troubleshooter complaining about DNS settings. Going default DNS with /flushdns /renew commands solved it but it started to get annoying.

I wanted my RAID arrays back (5 hard disks is too annoying to manage hehe) so I just pulled out the good ol' nuke and installed Windows fresh and besides I'm babysitting the cat alone so it gives me something to do.聽馃槢

4 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

The same issue happened with DNS 8.8.8.8 and even worse with my PC dropping connectivity alltogether

Now, to me that would suggest your ISP is losing it's upstream connection, when you use their DNS server (inside their "network") stuff can resolve, and 'dows thinks it's connected, when you use a DNS outside their network, like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, it doesn't connect, and 'dows thinks it's (rightfully) offline.

I'd be using traceroute and whois to find my gateway, last hop inside ISP's network, and first hop outside, then setting up a little "graphical ping" script for next time it fails, see how far stuff is actually getting, then making noises at tech people.

EDIT:

4 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

/renew commands solved it

That's interesting, do you have a "personal firewall" by any chance?