What should I build/which OS should I use?

20 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Yes, UniFi for switches and AP’s, pfsense for firewall/router appliance. Pretty standard to do this since pfsense is so phenomenal at its job, and if free, and UniFi stuff is affordable and pretty solid gear. 

Proxmox has an in house backup solution, called Proxmox backup sever. I have a NFS mount from truenas mounted and I backup to there. It just snapshots the VM’s, simple but effective. 

I backup critical data to backblaze b2 via truenas, it’s integrated directly into truenas. 

Understood! So it sounds like my xeon should be able to to handle this...Any particular reason for the supermicro board? Also, do you follow the 1GB RAM for every 1 TB storage rule? Does that mean you need to have that much RAM which is not typically utilized by other system processes?

On 6/9/2022 at 3:21 PM, LIGISTX said:

I could just do 1 single SAS cable from H310 to expander and gain another x4 SATA, but I just don't need that many so I figured why not just give it more SAS lanes, not that it likely matters anyways.

So the two SAS ports on the H310 card go out to the expander, which has three 4x SATA breakouts coming into it? Are you saying that by using both of the H310 ports to connect to the expander, you're potentially getting more bandwidth dedicated to the 12 SATA devices?

4 hours ago, rarifiedbovine said:

Understood! So it sounds like my xeon should be able to to handle this...Any particular reason for the supermicro board? Also, do you follow the 1GB RAM for every 1 TB storage rule? Does that mean you need to have that much RAM which is not typically utilized by other system processes?

So the two SAS ports on the H310 card go out to the expander, which has three 4x SATA breakouts coming into it? Are you saying that by using both of the H310 ports to connect to the expander, you're potentially getting more bandwidth dedicated to the 12 SATA devices?

Sorry, what Xeon do you have? And yea, Supermicro server boards basically last forever, have IPMI, support ECC, and have a good amount of PCIe (mine has 6? I’m using 5 cards). 

No, 1GB per TB isn’t needed at all, depending on use case… but for a home user, I gave my vm 16 GB of RAM for years and it was more then fine. I have 10x4TB in raid z2, I give it 20GB now since I have so much RAM, lol. 

Yes, I’m running 2 SAS cables to theoretically up the bandwidth, although I don’t know if it actually would make any difference only running 1. I’m sure my gigabit network interface would be the bottleneck anyways, although I plan to go 10GB soon. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

23 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Sorry, what Xeon do you have? And yea, Supermicro server boards basically last forever, have IPMI, support ECC, and have a good amount of PCIe (mine has 6? I’m using 5 cards). 

No, 1GB per TB isn’t needed at all, depending on use case… but for a home user, I gave my vm 16 GB of RAM for years and it was more then fine. I have 10x4TB in raid z2, I give it 20GB now since I have so much RAM, lol. 

Yes, I’m running 2 SAS cables to theoretically up the bandwidth, although I don’t know if it actually would make any difference only running 1. I’m sure my gigabit network interface would be the bottleneck anyways, although I plan to go 10GB soon. 

I've got a E3-1245 v5. Good to know about the RAM. Any recommendations for a server and disk shelf that I should hunt for on ebay?

25 minutes ago, rarifiedbovine said:

I've got a E3-1245 v5. Good to know about the RAM. Any recommendations for a server and disk shelf that I should hunt for on ebay?

That CPU will do great for you. Do you have a mobo and RAM?

Supermicro 4U chassis, any of them that fit your need. Personally I would get one that has 24 bays and a SASII back plane I believe. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2022 at 11:36 PM, LIGISTX said:

That CPU will do great for you. Do you have a mobo and RAM?

Supermicro 4U chassis, any of them that fit your need. Personally I would get one that has 24 bays and a SASII back plane I believe. 

Blast from the past: what do you think about this hardware? Is it harder to work with 4x CPU? I assume DDR3 ram is ok but any cause for concern? https://www.ebay.com/itm/154691089923?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rI5jpFxtSLW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=QmAgLVPFSFe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

26 minutes ago, rarifiedbovine said:

Blast from the past: what do you think about this hardware? Is it harder to work with 4x CPU? I assume DDR3 ram is ok but any cause for concern? https://www.ebay.com/itm/154691089923?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rI5jpFxtSLW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=QmAgLVPFSFe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Terrible for what you plan on using it for. Unless you enjoy throwing money away on power. 

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Terrible for what you plan on using it for. Unless you enjoy throwing money away on power. 

Because I will get plenty of juice from just one CPU?

1 hour ago, rarifiedbovine said:

Because I will get plenty of juice from just one CPU?

Each one of those chips os going to idle at around 40 or 50 watts. Add in all the other stuff and you are going to be idleing at about 400watts. At idle.....I dunno about you, but that is crazy for a home server.

52 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Each one of those chips os going to idle at around 40 or 50 watts. Add in all the other stuff and you are going to be idleing at about 400watts. At idle.....I dunno about you, but that is crazy for a home server.

Very much so. Decided to go for a bare bones + PSU chassis. Feels dumb because it’s almost the same price but ah well.