Will mobo PWM controllers still work if the power pins (of PWM header) aren't conencted?

SinijTheTsar

I have 4 very powerful fans (64W draw at max power, and yes they are loud). I do have a solution for PWM control using a Raspberry Pi Pico and a few potentiometers. That solution is a bit clunky, and I will have to run the pot wires outside of my case via PCIe covers.

I thought of a different idea though: take the PWM & RPM pins from the fans to the corresponding pins directly on the mobo (or maybe a PWM hub), would that work?

Note: The fan is powered from a 4 pin molex connector soldered directly to the fan wires. It works, but I am not sure if a mobo has some safety for the PWM to not work when the 12v isn't connecting.

Note 2: I know that the GND needs to also be connected to the mobo, I have a way to do that.

I have a D5 pump with a broken rpm wire, the only wire on the plug connected to the mobo is the pwm one, pwm control still works fine, pumps power and ground wires are connected via molex.

Not sure what program you intent to use, or if any program will work, some simply won't allow you to adjust fan settings without rpm detection and what not, i use fancontrol from here on the ltt forums and it works fine.

Link if you don't know what i'm talking about:

Thanks! This just solved a huge wiring (and space) problem. I have heard or FanControl, and am probably going to use that. Do you by any chance know a Linux alternative?