R530 Poweredge CPU compatibility

I have a R530 PowerEdge (Service Tag: HWYW482) that is missing both the CPUs. Can I use either both Broadwell (Xeon v4) or Haswell (Xeon v3) CPUs? On Ebay I see them listed with both generation CPUs so I'm not sure what to pick since I have no idea what was in the server before. When I look at compatible parts for it on Dell's website they have the Broadwell CPUs listed. Not sure if I would need to update bios first or not? I only saw one bios update listed and it says "Updated the Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 v4 Product Family Processor Microcode to version 0x0b00003e. - Updated the Xeon Processor E5-2600 v3 Product Family Processor Microcode to version 0x46" which would imply I could use Broadwell CPUs.

I was thinking of getting 14 core E5-2683 v3s or  12 core  E5-2650 v4s. (You can also include your thoughts on which one would be better)

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

Are you stuck/unable to start with a better platform as even two of either of those choices are going to be slower than a lot of consumer grade cpu's these days even factoring in all core compute tasks.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Are you stuck/unable to start with a better platform as even two of either of those choices are going to be slower than a lot of consumer grade cpu's these days even factoring in all core compute tasks.

I got it for $150 and I would need an additional $80 investment for the cpus (assuming it works). Its going to be a learning tool for me/ something to mess around with for fun.  If I get it working I am probably going to run ESXI on it and run a bunch of VMs.

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

well if those are the choices then two 2695 v3s would be better than two 2650 v4s

The fastest cheapest E5 2600 V4 series you can get then.

Oh and earplugs for the fan noise....

Edit - Or V3's.