GPU PCIe 6+2 pin connectors

Momkai
Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,
5 minutes ago, Momkai said:

It has the same pin-out as my own one. I've added a picture. 

It definitely doesn't look like the same pinout, look at the PSU side of the cable. Please check it over, because on the picture it looks like a different pinout, so please don't blow up your GPU.

The wires are all connected differently.

image.thumb.png.35de3da5e863e995148cda692f16fd89.png

Hi,

Today I will be receiving my new system with a 3080. 

The only thing i didn't order is a PSU, because I have a almost new one laying around (850W). The only thing i forgot is that the 3080 needs 3 x 8 pins to power it. The PSU I had left has only 1 cable with 2 x 6+2 pin. 

Fast forward, i ordered a 6+2 from amazon, but the cable looks somewhat thinner. See attachments. The numbers on the cable are almost matching.

Would you connect it?

cable.jpg

cables-2.jpg

Intel i7 6700k - MSI Z17A0 Gaming M5 - 4 x 8Gb Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz - MSI GTX 970 - Samsung Pro 128Gb - WD 3Tb - 750 Watt MS-TECH

It definitely looks a bit thinner and sketchier.

But there's a more important question:

Did you make sure that it has the same pin-out as your power supply?

7 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

It definitely looks a bit thinner and sketchier.

But there's a more important question:

Did you make sure that it has the same pin-out as your power supply?

Intel i7 6700k - MSI Z17A0 Gaming M5 - 4 x 8Gb Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz - MSI GTX 970 - Samsung Pro 128Gb - WD 3Tb - 750 Watt MS-TECH

It's 16AWG vs 18AWG. Most PSU's have 18AWG cables, yours had thicker ones because it's a two in one. It would not make a difference in terms of amps, BUT I would be worried about pinout. Remember the side that connects to the graphics card is STANDARD 6+2 PCIE, but the side that connects to the power supply is NOT STANDARD between manufacturers. If you have a multimeter it would be easy to check which pin leads where, or you can try to find a paper/ask the seller, or you can actually visually confirm by following each wire, since it's a flat cable, didn't think of that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

It's 16AWG vs 18AWG. Most PSU's have 18AWG cables, yours had thicker ones because it's a two in one. It would not make a difference in terms of amps, BUT I would be worried about pinout. Remember the side that connects to the graphics card is STANDARD 6+2 PCIE, but the side that connects to the power supply is NOT STANDARD between manufacturers. If you have a multimeter it would be easy to check which pin leads where, or you can try to find a paper/ask the seller. 

Thanks, beat me to it. ^^

Momkai I would try to find one from the power supply manufacturer. That is your safest bet.

5 minutes ago, Momkai said:

It definitely doesn't look like the same pinout, look at the PSU side of the cable. Please check it over, because on the picture it looks like a different pinout, so please don't blow up your GPU.

The wires are all connected differently.

image.thumb.png.35de3da5e863e995148cda692f16fd89.png

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

14 minutes ago, Momkai said:

Hi,

Today I will be receiving my new system with a 3080. 

The only thing i didn't order is a PSU, because I have a almost new one laying around (850W). The only thing i forgot is that the 3080 needs 3 x 8 pins to power it. The PSU I had left has only 1 cable with 2 x 6+2 pin. 

Fast forward, i ordered a 6+2 from amazon, but the cable looks somewhat thinner. See attachments. The numbers on the cable are almost matching.

Would you connect it?

cable.jpg

cables-2.jpg

You can see on the bottom left picture that the wires don't go to the same spot on the PSU side. Don't use this!

I'm ordering a new PSU, thanks all! I don't wanna risk it. 

Just now, Momkai said:

I'm ordering a new PSU, thanks all! I don't wanna risk it. 

You could just follow each wire from connector to connector and visually compare which wire leads where, start from the ones that look different. Of course if you don't feel comfortable doing that ordering a new PSU is the safest bet.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.