Printoo: Paper-Thin, Flexible Electronics!

Hi, I just wanted to share this and I think this would be a great topic for the WAN Show because I think Linus will love this!

This is a Kickstarter project... well I'll just put here what they have in their page!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1030661323/printoo-paper-thin-flexible-arduinotm-compatible-m

Printoo is a platform of paper-thin circuit boards and modules. It gives makers an open-source, lightweight, flexible, and modular Arduino-compatible platform to create just about anything you want! What makes Printoo amazingly unique is that it comes with a range of printed electronics modules previously unavailable to the public. These are electronics building "blocks" of the future, only not so rigid.

Here's one of the boards:

a1d1b8948ab46f9217ee5e6297679fd1_large.g

They include paper thin batteries, paper like screens that I don't really know how they work but the demo in the video looks amazing!

Rant about how there's a lot of technology coming out of Portugal and no one really knows much about it (but please read it, there are amazing things):

This comes from Portugal! Many people don't know but we actually have a start-up company that is going to start working with my district's hospital (Hospital da Universidade de Coimbra - HUC) to bring DNA sequencing to both the market and to be an active part of patient's diagnostics, this will be finished in about 3 to 5 years! We also have another start-up working on big animal trials already (cows and big animals like that) for a breast cancer fighting drug that uses nanotechnology, I actually spoke with the CEO of this start-up and this might come into human trials in the next 5 years. We also had people in universities discovering a way to make transistors and electronics out of paper (which might have something to do with this project but I don't really know), there's also a company working on virtual tours of entire cities! I met with their Lead Sales (they sell 3d modelling and tours that they make on the platform to the cities and districts) and I then talked with him about Oculus Rift which was still on it's kickstarter campaign and also the Virtuix Omni, they can create entire virtual tours of cities! This is really cool now, but in 5 to 10 years, it'll be amazing with the kind of graphics power and computer imaging advances that are coming! we have a lot of innovation going on and lots of start-ups getting funded and amazing creative people and it just makes me proud to be Portuguese! We've been struggling a lot but it seems like we're going to be just fine :3

This post feels so complete with that gif...

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Thanks for posting this! Disclaimer: I'm one of the team members of the project and found this forum while searching for mentions on google.

On PT having great start-ups and technology that are not known: I think the world is becoming more meritocratic, particularly with crowdfunding tools being available. Of course it would help if Kickstarter made it easier to launch projects from anywhere, but it is a place where projects are judged solely based on merit, few really care where it comes from. Other mentions of great tech start-ups from Portugal would be Bitalino (DIY body signals, now on sparkfun) and Beethefirst (3D Printing). I think the world is more global and more meritocratic than it was maybe 10 years ago, and start-ups today have a greater chance to succeed independently of where they come from.

I wish I could invest in this company right now. This will be huge some day.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Thanks for posting this! Disclaimer: I'm one of the team members of the project and found this forum while searching for mentions on google.

On PT having great start-ups and technology that are not known: I think the world is becoming more meritocratic, particularly with crowdfunding tools being available. Of course it would help if Kickstarter made it easier to launch projects from anywhere, but it is a place where projects are judged solely based on merit, few really care where it comes from. Other mentions of great tech start-ups from Portugal would be Bitalino (DIY body signals, now on sparkfun) and Beethefirst (3D Printing). I think the world is more global and more meritocratic than it was maybe 10 years ago, and start-ups today have a greater chance to succeed independently of where they come from.

Wow, thanks for replying! I hope this get's mentioned on the WAN Show since even a member came here and created an account just to interact with the community!

Exactly! But it does say something about our country, and more, about human nature, we've had some rough times here in Portugal, a lot of unemployment, a political crisis a few years ago, economic crisis all of that, yet there's this amazing amount of innovation and start ups doing amazing things! Like you and your team and your company! You guys are amazing! And it's not just Portugal, there's so many countries that have so much innovation and have limited resources. With Kickstarter growing and I think it'll grow a lot and become available in more countries (which is going to be slow because of laws and stuff like that) the meritocracy that you mention is beginning to be felt and will be felt even more around the world, with so many great games, products and projects coming out of it! Oculus Rift is one of the big ones, one dream that some guys made into a prototype and now it's "worth" $2 billion! That is so big! That's a massive amount of money, it's the kind of thing that changes the way massive amounts of people look at things like Kickstarter, which is very, very good! The power is in every one of us, the power is in all of us!

Really really cool. Hopefully this will grow big.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.