LG c1 vs LG c2 and sound bar

bobbybdennis

Hey everyone, 

Purchasing a home soon and looking to get a good tv setup for my family room. I've narrowed it down to the c1 and c2 from what I can tell they are basically identical except the c2 is the newer model. so the price is 1500 vs 2200. Not sure if anyone knew any big differences between the 2 or had maybe another OLED contender to look into. 

secondly i'd like a sound bar recommendation not really sure on a budget for this and curious to what you guys use? 

Thanks

If you're looking at the 55" models or bigger, the C2 is significantly brighter and has overall better image processing. But in the end the differences are still rather small, so it's probably not worth $700 more to most people. Here is a detailed comparison: LG C1 OLED vs LG C2 OLED Side-by-Side TV Comparison - RTINGS.com

I personally use a Samsung HW-Q80R and it's easily the best speaker i heard and had so far. Sadly it's not available anymore and the successors don't seem to be as good from what i heard. Here is a list that could help narrow it down for you: The 7 Best Soundbars - Spring 2022: Reviews - RTINGS.com

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

My bias on displays is to error on the side of cheaper. The C1 is likely fine, assuming you can light control your room. If you can't you should probably be looking at something like a QN90a, provided your main use case is movies. 

Sound bars - while they've gotten better in recent years, I'd still suggest a handful of bookshelf speakers and potentially a subwoofer over going with a sound bar.

If you're open to a 2.1 set up
pair of Emotiva B1+ ($250) and a used SVS PB1000 ($300ish if you can find it, or pretty much ANYTHING SVS, Rel, Hsu, etc.) will work pretty well. They can be run off of an Aiyima A07. You'll need a few feet of speaker wire and a coax (RCA pinout) cable for the sub.
If you want proper surround sound, get 2 more speakers for left/right and a proper AV receiver (used units can be had for as low as $100-150ish)

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

14 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If you're looking at the 55" models or bigger, the C2 is significantly brighter and has overall better image processing. But in the end the differences are still rather small, so it's probably not worth $700 more to most people. Here is a detailed comparison: LG C1 OLED vs LG C2 OLED Side-by-Side TV Comparison - RTINGS.com

I personally use a Samsung HW-Q80R and it's easily the best speaker i heard and had so far. Sadly it's not available anymore and the successors don't seem to be as good from what i heard. Here is a list that could help narrow it down for you: The 7 Best Soundbars - Spring 2022: Reviews - RTINGS.com

I think my only concern was getting a TV that was 2 years old vs one that was only 1. I'll be looking at those sound bars. I still gotta close on the house and then size everything out, i might make a thread about it and get some more tips from everyone. thank you  🙂 

Good luck.

Also I DO suggest going with a proper AVR system if you're sensitive to sound. I'd argue that sound probably matters more than visuals, especially having a good subwoofer. FEELING the bass is good. Same with not having uneven, boomy bass (though that usually requires 2 decent subwoofers). If you're "lazy" and just want a sound setup that works, then Sony HT-a9 seems to be the closest out of the box solution.

I've probably gone off the deep end on sound these days. Haha. I appreciate my sound system (see sig) more than improvements on my display (QN90a)

I do want to get a QD-OLED in a few years and probably will. At that point those should be down in price and up in size.

----

Also check out reddit's /r/hometheater and the htbuyingguides

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 5/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, bobbybdennis said:

Hey everyone, 

Purchasing a home soon and looking to get a good tv setup for my family room. I've narrowed it down to the c1 and c2 from what I can tell they are basically identical except the c2 is the newer model. so the price is 1500 vs 2200. Not sure if anyone knew any big differences between the 2 or had maybe another OLED contender to look into. 

secondly i'd like a sound bar recommendation not really sure on a budget for this and curious to what you guys use? 

Thanks

Performance wise there are a couple sites that show that brightness wise the C1 and C2 are the same.  The only difference that the C2 has is the newer chip so the UI is much more snappy.  I had a C1 48" as my monitor but just moved it to our bedroom and replaced it with a C2 42" and besides the size, stand, and UI I can't tell the difference. 

As per a sound bar I think the speakers on the C1 are pretty good since they bounce off the huge metal stand.  I do however have a Sony HT-X8500 sound bar for our Sony AJ80 65" in our living room.  For $300 the Sony HT-X8500 is the only SB that is eARC w/ Dolby Atomos w/ a build in subwoofer, granted it is a $300 SB so do remember you kind of get what you pay for so bass, soundstage, and clarity aren't amazing but still a clear upgrade from the TV's speakers 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

13 hours ago, Jrasero said:

Performance wise there are a couple sites that show that brightness wise the C1 and C2 are the same.  The only difference that the C2 has is the newer chip so the UI is much more snappy.  I had a C1 48" as my monitor but just moved it to our bedroom and replaced it with a C2 42" and besides the size, stand, and UI I can't tell the difference. 

Only the 42" and 48" stay at the same brightness. 55" models and bigger get significantly brighter.

C1 can reach about 300 nits in SDR and 630 nits in HDR.

C2 can do 420 nits in SDR and 840 nits in HDR, which is more than 30% higher.

(source)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.