A simple mistake which made me feel pretty dumb.

darealsoulless

This post has no real point other than to show rookie PC users something they can check that may make their display viewing experience much better.

I was searching for a new monitor for my PC and decided to go to Best Buy because it's a physical store and I didn't wanna wait on shipping. I figured they wouldn't have many "good" displays there, however the store I went to carries a tremendous selection of displays. The Dell S2422HG caught my eye mainly because it's an almost bezel-less, curved and excellent looking small 1080p panel, 24" in size. Exactly what I was looking for. I assumed because of the cheap price that it would most certainly be a 60Hz only display, so I bought it, took it home, hooked it up and Windows defaulted to 60Hz. I did not open the drop down for refresh rates and so never noticed that I have a 165Hz display.

Anyways, this morning I was just messing with settings on my PC and eventually wound up adjusting my display settings in Control Panel. Out of curiosity I clicked the drop down for refresh rates, and noticed it went up to 165Hz, then realized that because of my own stupidity I had been using a 165Hz monitor at 60Hz for two entire months.

That made me feel pretty stupid but after selecting 165Hz, (this is my very first interaction with a high refresh rate display) it feels amazingly smooth and I can't wait to game on it.

Moral of the story is check your refresh rate setting! Make sure it's set as high as your display supports. Don't leave yourself stuck in the Triassic period with 60Hz if your display can do more.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

125260856_Butt-Head-IFeelSmartNowAndStuff.png.d835ae7f5787ce1060a27d2737e3dba4.png

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I'm mostly surprised you decided to spend money on an electronic item without looking at the label or briefly skimming the description. 

If I buy something i've read/watched every review and know everything about it before its even unboxed. Kinda crazy that something like this can happen.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:26 AM, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'm mostly surprised you decided to spend money on an electronic item without looking at the label or briefly skimming the description. 

If I buy something i've read/watched every review and know everything about it before its even unboxed. Kinda crazy that something like this can happen.

I watch unboxing vids of the exact same spec of whatever I've bought until the moment its in my hands.

Felt the same when was studying for a certification, couldn't sleep and woke up at 2am.  Ran into the problem, reset it and reconfigured (spent a few hours, etc) and it still didn't work.  Ended up being a stupid cable mistake...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

• 2 weeks later...