New build will not accept 3060ti

vivaREMIX
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

You may have to put the PCIE  on 3.0 if its a 3.0 PCIE Extension cable for the 3060ti since its on PCIE 4.0. Sometimes it can occur where the older PCIE Expansion cables and stuff simply dont work with the new gpus cause of 3.0 vs 4.0. Ive heard of cables simply not working even after swapping the PCIE slot to 3.0 so be aware of that.

Hello everyone,

Hope your Saturday is going well and a lot less frustrating than mine. I was typing up my experience, but it began to read like a manifesto against the machines.

So here are some nice calm bullet points.

Components will be listed at the bottom.

MAIN ISSUES:

• New build will not display anything from my 3060ti but it will through my 1050ti.

• There were other issues pertaining to installing Windows, but as I was typing this up that just kind of figured itself out.

TROUBLESHOOTING ATTEMPTED:

• Swapped GPUs to gain visibility on monitor.

• Reseated every possible port or connection on the motherboard.

• Swapped PSU, both are 750W, same results. One is SFX (the one I want to use on this build) the other ATX (from a previous build)

•Used different displays/ monitors to see if any would work. Also used different cables.

EXTRA DETAILS:

• my third-ish build(had some left over components si decided to build a small PC dedicated to gaming and media)

• When connected to the SFX the system turns on, GPU fans spin and after a few seconds go idle, but no RGB elements turn on. (Note: the PCIe ribbon cables is missing a metal contact in one of the corner slots, both ribbon cables that came with the PSU is missing it, but only for the side that connects to the PSU, the GPU side has all the metal contacts)

•When connected to the ATX PSU the system turns on, GPU fans spin and go idle,  and RGB elements turn on, yet still no display. (Note: both sides of the ribbon cable have all the metal contacts)

•Due to the small form factor, there is an extensión cable so that bigger GPU can be placed into the case. (It is small form factor). The 1050ti has no issues with it. 

PC BUILD SPECS:

CPU: Intel i5 12400F

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB DDR5 (one card)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix B660-I (mini itx)

GPU: EVGA XC 3060 ti

PSU: Cooler Master v750 SFX Gold (750w, 80+ Gold) modular

COOLING: ID Cooling FrostFlow x 240

CASE: Cooler Master NR200

Any ideas what could be causing this? Everything works fine with the 1050ti, but that doesn not need it's own connection to the PSU like the 3060ti need.

Thank you for taking the time to look over this issue!  

You may have to put the PCIE  on 3.0 if its a 3.0 PCIE Extension cable for the 3060ti since its on PCIE 4.0. Sometimes it can occur where the older PCIE Expansion cables and stuff simply dont work with the new gpus cause of 3.0 vs 4.0. Ive heard of cables simply not working even after swapping the PCIE slot to 3.0 so be aware of that.

I didn't even consider that the pcie extension cable would be 3.0. The motherboard mentioned that it was PCIe 5.0, but that might be the slot on the board itself, or maybe how the board is wired or configured together (still pretty new to all of this).

From what I could find, I have to adjust the settings in the bios. This isn't the first time the bios settings hindered my path forward. Before this issue I was running into a problem (the original topic I was writing about before it was fixed) with enabled XMP (I think that is what it is called). In the comprehensive build guide LTT posted last month it was mentioned to switch it on, but it was giving me issues and when I switched it to default Windows was able to install normally as my computer kept refusing to let Windows installer restart the PC when the XMP was on.

Luckily I have unseated the motherboard from the case and I will try connecting the 3060ti directly onto the board itself to see if the issue persists, and I will dive into the bios to reconfigure the pcie 3.0.

I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Yes! Once the 3060ti was placed directly on the board it worked perfectly, I guess time to rethink where I placed my radiator so that I can place the card directly on the board.

Many thanks may your weekend be full of ice cream and fireworks.

Thanks again!