Xonar DGX vs DX

remenomen

So in another thread, I was recommended the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's (thanks a lot, guys :D), which I think will be excellent for my needs. (Mainly games and bass-heavy electronic music.)

I'm stuck between the Xonar DX and the DGX, as they both have virtual surround capabilities, (although I think the DGX only does 5.1 and the DX can do 7.1, not sure) and both have headphone amps.

Which one should I get? The cheaper DGX or the more premium DX? I will mainly be using them for gaming.

I have the xonar DX myself and I'm really pleased with it.

The DX can indeed do 7.1.  

I'd say if you are willing to spend more on a sound card go with the DX (in my region the dx is twice as expensive as the dgx), and you will get better quality.

But if you are on a buget I'd go for the DGX. It might be not as good as the DX but sitll alot better than the standard onboard sound.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

DG, because the DGX and DX are basically the same, especially for the 80 ohm version of the dt770 that doesn't need to be amped much.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

DG, because the DGX and DX are basically the same, especially for the 80 ohm version of the dt770 that doesn't need to be amped much.

But doesn't the DX have cleaner audio? Surely there must be some difference.

I have the xonar DX myself and I'm really pleased with it.

The DX can indeed do 7.1.  

I'd say if you are willing to spend more on a sound card go with the DX (in my region the dx is twice as expensive as the dgx), and you will get better quality.

But if you are on a buget I'd go for the DGX. It might be not as good as the DX but sitll alot better than the standard onboard sound.

Indeed. Onboard audio is almost always super crappy. I decided to buy the DX. In fact, I already placed the order. 

Indeed. Onboard audio is almost always super crappy. I decided to buy the DX. In fact, I already placed the order. 

Whatever *yawn* I give up recommending stuff to people :) Everybody on this entire forum thinks more expensive = better, and to an extent that's true, but the difference in sound quality of the dg from the dx will be close to zero in your scenario. Whatever, buy what you want, it's your money.

Whatever *yawn* I give up recommending stuff to people :) Everybody on this entire forum thinks more expensive = better, and to an extent that's true, but the difference in sound quality of the dg from the dx will be close to zero in your scenario. Whatever, buy what you want, it's your money.

I needed the 7.1 :P I currently use a USB 5.1/7.1 headset, and 7.1 has got quite good positional accuracy, better than the 5.1 setting, so I figured I would stick to 7.1 virtual surround.

Also, don't give up recommending stuff to people! You were the one who recommended me the DT770 Pros! I bought those :D

the DG/DGX have an amp where as DX is more of a dac with a sub par amp.

the DG/DGX have an amp where as DX is more of a dac with a sub par amp.

Ah, that makes sense. I would assume the dgx is the dx's dac with the dg's amp then? Man the xonar names confuse me sometimes..

But doesn't the DX have cleaner audio? Surely there must be some difference.

So yeah, the dx would have cleaner audio than the dg/dgx, but would have less power to drive the dt770's than the dg/dgx. Oops, being hypocritical like a beast hahaha :)

All these soundcards, especially the Xonars and the Creatives, all use the same chips for their WHOLE lines, even their cheapest and most expensive.

What could they possibly do to differentiate their line? fancy shrouds?

?
?

DG for the Beyers though.  Your using it with headphones after all.  Surround sound processors are a creative shame. pun intended.

Also consider USB solutions like the E10 or 02+ODAC.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I'm using the DGX with my DT770 250ohm headphones and I love them!

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

All these soundcards, especially the Xonars and the Creatives, all use the same chips for their WHOLE lines, even their cheapest and most expensive.

What could they possibly do to differentiate their line? fancy shrouds?

?
?

DG for the Beyers though.  Your using it with headphones after all.  Surround sound processors are a creative shame. pun intended.

Also consider USB solutions like the E10 or 02+ODAC.

I looked on Asus's website. 

Xonar D2X: AV200 chipset

Xonar DX: AV100 chipset

Xonar DSX AV66 chipset

Xonar DGX: C-media CMI8786 chipset

Apparently the Xonar STX also has the AV100 chipset.