First try at Overclocking

Okay, so I have tried my hand at OC, and I'm not really sure if I feel like I accomplished anything ha.

Asus x570 TUF Gaming Plus

Ryzen 5600x

Corsair Vengeance 3600C18 (2x16GB)

All of the following is with my CPU temps at 75-76C:

I was able to get my CPU up to 4.5GHz all core with minimal tweaking, so that should be a slight gain over the 4.4 that I've seen on a few review sites. Haven't looked at the AutoOC to get the single core boost up a bit higher, that's today's plan.  I did get the ram up to 3733 MT/s at 1.41v.  I tried getting the CL down, but it wasn't stable. I entered 17, but it reported everywhere else as 18 (I guess AMD rounds odd CL numbers up).

I'm at work and not near my build to double check, but I think I have the CPU voltage at about the 1.2-1.25 range (definitely not over 1.25), and I'm curious if I can bump that a tick or two to maybe hit 4.6GHz, or if it's even worth it.

With AMD CPUs, you wanna just enable PBO instead of manually trying to overclock. PBO should get you 4.5-4.6GHz in most workloads just by enabling a setting, and you won't lose single core frequency like you will going for an all core OC. Just disable all the OC stuff you've done, enable PBO, and call it a day. If you want to, mess around with undervolting and the curve optimizer to allow the chip to boost up even higher. 

8 minutes ago, mike_seps said:

(I guess AMD rounds odd CL numbers up

They do with a couple different settings, at least if you have Gear Down Mode enabled. If you're new to memory overclocking, you want to leave Gear Down Mode enabled since it makes stabilizing memory so much easier, and it doesn't hurt performance that much. 

Cpu wise just turn on pbo and use curve optimizer to undervolt the cpu and actually make it run faster since pbo lets cpu run high single core boost and static cpu oc is dead on ryzen

Rams wise youll need to know what ic its using so i suggest using thaiphoon burner to find out what ic it is. General rule is 1.5v max if not running a fan due to heat issues, actual max safe volt varies from ic to ic so do your own reasearch on that, ics like micron rev e/b/j , samsung b die, and hynix djr can run 1.65v without issue assuming you got the cooling but some horrid ics like samsung c die start degrading at a measly 1.35v, though im personally skeptical of that cause 1.35v is jedec, though c die is an ic that dont scale with volt. Specifically for the ics that dont give a crap about volt degradation wise you can crank them as much as theyll let you go but after 2.05v you can expect imcs to prob start straight up dying, just dont go over 1.7v just to make sure imc doesnt start degrading if you happen to have good ram ic that scale well dont care about ram volt

I wouldnt expect you to have a decent ic considering the rather pathetic 3733 oc so you shouldnt be going over 1.5v anyway, esp w/o fan, 1.65v+ at your own risk assuming you have good ic and cooling

27 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I wouldn't expect you to have a decent ic considering the rather pathetic 3733 oc so you shouldnt be going over 1.5v anyway, esp w/o fan, 1.65v+ at your own risk assuming you have good ic and cooling

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled that I couldn't even hit 3800.  Would an increase in voltage stability to possibly improve timings? Or would I need to reduce the speed to increase the timing, and make it a moot point?  Or are those pretty much you get what you get, adjust until it's unstable and then back off 1

Clearly I'm a ram noob

14 minutes ago, mike_seps said:

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled that I couldn't even hit 3800.  Would an increase in voltage stability to possibly improve timings? Or would I need to reduce the speed to increase the timing, and make it a moot point?  Or are those pretty much you get what you get, adjust until it's unstable and then back off 1

Clearly I'm a ram noob

Check thaiphoon burner for ram ic, that way you can search it up and find oc results other ppl have had

1 hour ago, mike_seps said:

(I guess AMD rounds odd CL numbers up).

maybe mobo manufacturers...

idk my ram wouldn't boot at 17, but boots a at 16 for example... 🤷‍♂️

or 1.35v... nope, has to be 1.36v even though with XMP 1.35v is perfectly fine... ie, im pretty sure this stuff depends on the motherboard for the most part.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

maybe mobo manufacturers...

idk my ram wouldn't boot at 17, but boots a at 16 for example... 🤷‍♂️

or 1.35v... nope, has to be 1.36v even though with XMP 1.35v is perfectly fine... ie, im pretty sure this stuff depends on the motherboard for the most part.  

Interesting. I booted at 17, but not 16.

17 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Check thaiphoon burner for ram ic, that way you can search it up and find oc results other ppl have had

Sounds good, I'll check it out when I get home. Hopefully it's not dog-crap IC

1 hour ago, mike_seps said:

Sounds good, I'll check it out when I get home. Hopefully it's not dog-crap IC

C18 at 3600 is likely SK hynix. 

Most of the time looser timings for high frequency and will Not scale with voltage.

SOC 1.08v for XMP and 1.20v as a max, but usually the extra voltage creates more heat than frequency.

Memory takes tons of trial and error. So don't get discouraged next week while you're still tweaking, and probably the week after that.

Good luck man!

9 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Memory takes tons of trial and error. So don't get discouraged next week while you're still tweaking, and probably the week after that.

I can vouch for this after spending prob a few weeks getting my 1520mhz ddr2 overclock stable in the first place then add on the day or 2 getting it to not suck ass performance wise by tuning the secondaires and tertiaries cause i nuked those while attempting for 1520mhz

Now i can run 1520 7-9-6-9 (noice) at 2.38v, havent tested a ram benchmark but ill go find some, it is dailyable due to the low voltage though i would prefer rams that scale to 2.95v cause lower the voltage = more wasted performance potential, but 1520 daily aint bad considering the freq record is 1900mhz ish on ddr2, now i just need to chuck an e8600 in so it doesnt run at a measly 4.25ghz, and since this nanya d die scales so horribly with volt after ~2.2v i even need ed to tune the cooling cause just slightly too hot and it errors and crashes

41 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I can vouch for this after spending prob a few weeks getting my 1520mhz ddr2 overclock stable in the first place then add on the day or 2 getting it to not suck ass performance wise by tuning the secondaires and tertiaries cause i nuked those while attempting for 1520mhz

Now i can run 1520 7-9-6-9 (noice) at 2.38v, havent tested a ram benchmark but ill go find some, it is dailyable due to the low voltage though i would prefer rams that scale to 2.95v cause lower the voltage = more wasted performance potential, but 1520 daily aint bad considering the freq record is 1900mhz ish on ddr2, now i just need to chuck an e8600 in so it doesnt run at a measly 4.25ghz, and since this nanya d die scales so horribly with volt after ~2.2v i even need ed to tune the cooling cause just slightly too hot and it errors and crashes

Hey, are you going to try the ddr4/ddr5 comp at Warp9-systems? Open to the public. Need pointers, I can help if you need.

14 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Hey, are you going to try the ddr4/ddr5 comp at Warp9-systems? Open to the public. Need pointers, I can help if you need.

Unfortunately the newest platform i own is 1366, and it uses first gen ddr3 imc aka complete f ing garbage that wont go over 2200

I am gonna buy ivy brige so i can f around with ddr3 and screw around with selling rams w modded xmp, though itll be awhile till that happens

Ran Ryzen Master stress test last night and gave me -30 for all cores on the curve. Input that into the BIOS and seems to be okay.  Cinebench 23 scores are 11034 MC, 1516 SC.  So I ended up with a slightly worse MC score than my manual OC (11570) but slightly better on SC (1478) so I suppose that's something.  Couldn't get anything going with ram, found out they're Hynix M-die, and it didn't seem promising, failing to even get to 3800MT/s, so that's stuck at 3733.

1 minute ago, mike_seps said:

Ran Ryzen Master stress test last night and gave me -30 for all cores on the curve. Input that into the BIOS and seems to be okay.  Cinebench 23 scores are 11034 MC, 1516 SC.  So I ended up with a slightly worse MC score than my manual OC (11570) but slightly better on SC (1478) so I suppose that's something.  Couldn't get anything going with ram, found out they're Hynix M-die, and it didn't seem promising, failing to even get to 3800MT/s, so that's stuck at 3733.

3733mhz is very decent IMO. TO go faster, that Hynix will require looser timings, not more voltage. 

5 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

3733mhz is very decent IMO. TO go faster, that Hynix will require looser timings, not more voltage. 

Good to know. I probably will leave it at that, I can't really complain about the performance yet

20 minutes ago, mike_seps said:

Good to know. I probably will leave it at that, I can't really complain about the performance yet

3733 to 3800 a whopping 66mhz faster. You'd never know the difference. I'd leave it also.

So, after all of that, I forgot to reset my core ratio to auto, so that explains why my MC runs were capped at 4.2. Turned that back to auto, running PBO and auto OC, with curve set to -30 all cores (suggested by Ryan’s Master) and things seem to be running smoothly now. 

For some reason my ram doesn’t like 3733 anymore, so that’s back down to simple DOCP at 3600.

I think I’m done for now