PC Power Consumption abnormally high - B560

DamirB

Hi all,

I'm completely out of ideas and am pretty desperate for help

So I've made a few posts about this machine and its power consumption but for the past few days the power consumption is way too high in my eyes. I updated the BIOS to the newest version (which deleted all my settings, thanks Gigabyte). So I went back and changed most settings that are important to me. From the top of my head I've changed the following (I can make screenshots of everything if that helps.

• Onboard soundcard disabled
  • Disabled LED's
  • Power Platform on, all ASPM set to enabled
  • Sata aggresive LPM set to enabled
  • CPU load line calibration set to power saving
  • CPU vcore on auto, DVID to -0.035V
  • CPU advanced settings, all stuff that helps with power saving (including all C-States) set to enabled. CPU Power Performance is disabled, and Turbo Boost limits are enabled. 
  • Flex ratio override set to enabled, overide is to 8 (lowest value)
  • Both case fans spin down when CPU is below 50 (which it always is) CPU fan should spin down untill 45 but it doesn't want to. 

In Windows it runs on the balanced powerplan, customized to make sure minimum CPU usage is 0%. HDD spin-down at 20minutes. Everything else balanced. No sleep allowed. Used Winearo tweaker to debloat Windows as much as possible. All preinstalled apps that could be deleted are deleted. Only programs installed are Emby, HWMonitor, Winearo, and Parsec. Only Parsec and Emby are active though. When looking at HWMonitor it shows that after a bit the CPU clocks down to 880Mhz and the package power is below 1 watt. 

Despite all of this. The machine measured 90 Watts from the wall after bootup. After about an hour, with the drives spun down it reaches 60 watts. I've seen this machine do 19Watts at idle right after I've built it. 

I've reset the BIOS, reinstalled Windows, thrown the PC out of my window. What could this possibly be? Please tell me I'm missing something and the solution is easy.

The specs

• i5 10400 (Boxed cooler)
  • Gigabyte B560M Aorus Pro
  • 2x WD Red Plus, 4TB WD40EFZX + 1x WD Purple WD82PURX + 2 external WD USB drives
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2E3200C16 (two DIMM's)
  • be quiet silent base 601
  • Corsair RM550x 2018
  • Samsung PM9A1 256GB SSD 
  • Windows 11 Pro

@jonnyGURUCould it maybe be the PSU adding power usage? When I turn on the machine from a cold start it actually needs 2-3 tries (I hear the PSU clicking) before it boots. I initially wanted the SF450 because of the lower wattage and higher efficiency 

my best guess is some part of the system is getting it stuck in a higher power state than is absolute lowest.

wether that be the extra drives, some piece of software (some software messes with idle power states, no idea why, never bothered to investigate) or just windows 11 potentially being a steaming pole of junk that cant run for two days before disappearing up it's own rear end...

Just now, manikyath said:

my best guess is some part of the system is getting it stuck in a higher power state than is absolute lowest.

wether that be the extra drives, some piece of software (some software messes with idle power states, no idea why, never bothered to investigate) or just windows 11 potentially being a steaming pole of junk that cant run for two days before disappearing up it's own rear end...

Is there a way to check? The CPU power usage indicated on HWMonitor would make it seem that the power states are working normally. The drives are neatly spun down after half an hour, I've measured it with the drives spun down.

17 minutes ago, DamirB said:

Is there a way to check? The CPU power usage indicated on HWMonitor would make it seem that the power states are working normally. The drives are neatly spun down after half an hour, I've measured it with the drives spun down.

Tear down everything but the bare minimum and check? then add 1 by 1 while checking each time ?
Just taking off HDDs/SSDs & fans are simple afterall. Don't even need to take it off the case, just unplug and replug cables

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Tear down everything but the bare minimum and check? then add 1 by 1 while checking each time ?
Just taking off HDDs/SSDs & fans are simple afterall. Don't even need to take it off the case, just unplug and replug cables

That might actually be a good idea, will it f* up my network shares tho?

1 hour ago, DamirB said:

@jonnyGURUCould it maybe be the PSU adding power usage? When I turn on the machine from a cold start it actually needs 2-3 tries (I hear the PSU clicking) before it boots. I initially wanted the SF450 because of the lower wattage and higher efficiency 

The PSU is only going to be delivering what's demanded of it.

When you cold start a PC, it's normal for it to cycle 2-3 times because the BIOS is relearning some of the stuff you have set to "Auto" in the BIOS.

12 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The PSU is only going to be delivering what's demanded of it.

So even with 80+Gold efficiency compared to platinum for example it should be able to consume 20watts from the wall? I'm in a 230V country btw. 

I do happen to have an HX1200 V2 in another system which is Platinum but also a much higher wattage. Can I swap them just to test if the PSU is completely ok or are the cables different? So far all my Corsair PSU's are rock solid but since the mobo and windows are reporting sub 2 watt cpu usage and all the drives are in standby I cannot figure out what else could be drawing the extra watts