What is the best AntiMalware that is light on system resources and still good

I am looking for a good free one. Or maybe a paid one as well.

I have heard good things about Kaspersky, but scared of them due to Russia invasion of Ukraine and its ties to Kremlin so it is out. I Fear since Eugene Kaspersky is CEO and he was in Russia military back in the day, he would cooperate in putting in a backdoor to destroy millions of PCs as Russia is our enemy and what better way for Puttn to do cyber warfare on us than destroy data on millions of American and Western country PCs running it. So sadly despite it being good and lite on usage, Kaspersky is ruled out now from my PCs.

How is Panda compared to NOD32??

And how about Avira compared to Avast and AVG.

I have read that Panda and NOD32 are light on resource usage and have good detection rates overall where as BitDefender and McAfee and Norton are heavier on resource usage??

I do not need a firewall as Windows firewall is more than enough Just basic protection with some website filtering marking what is safe or not like what Kaspersky had when I felt safer using it.

Defender, then for added protection you can use Malwarebytes which is quite light and unobstrusive

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Defender comes built into Windows and it's good enough for most users.

If you're really set on installing a third party antivirus, I've found Sophos to be the least intrusive.

Run MalwareBytes once in a while just as general housekeeping. It's not going to use any system resources while it's not running.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Defender comes built into Windows and it's good enough for most users.

If you're really set on installing a third party antivirus, I've found Sophos to be the least intrusive.

Run MalwareBytes once in a while just as general housekeeping. It's not going to use any system resources while it's not running.

I definitely want 3rd party. I disable Windows update and manually install them as Windows Updates often reset custom settings I use to harden Windows from the bloat and Spyware that I hate and have disabled in WIN11. And Windows Defender depends on auto updates.

So looking for best 3rd party AV on resource usage that is still good at regular malware detection cleaning and removal while also having options to white list things from false positives.

4 hours ago, Wolverine2349 said:

And Windows Defender depends on auto updates

not on 10. and not sure it does on 11.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've been using Bitdefender for long time.

As response to your thing on Kaspersky. Unless you have concrete proof that they are connected to Russian government, don't spread such conspiracy/rumours. There doesn't seem to be any proof presented, just allegations based on discriminatory reasons (personal background, political views etc.).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I've been using Bitdefender for long time.

As response to your thing on Kaspersky. Unless you have concrete proof that they are connected to Russian government, don't spread such conspiracy/rumours. There doesn't seem to be any proof presented, just allegations based on discriminatory reasons (personal background, political views etc.).

I do not have any proof, but more fearful and why did the United States government ban it from any government agency PCs if it was so safe. I know U.S. government is not always trustworthy, but in this case, I do not see why they would ban it if there was no legit concern.

I mean back in the day in like 2003-2006 when parts of U.S government were in bed with RIAA and MPAA and tried to ban P2P software form government computers. Totally different animal and not something for consumers to be worried about as that ban was not looking out for consumers best interest.

But why would U.S. government ban Kaspersky?? Its not like they are being paid off today to line anyone's pockets unlike the RIAA/MPAA back in 2003-2006?? Or are other AV vendors paying them off to ban Kaspersky??

15 minutes ago, Wolverine2349 said:

I do not have any proof, but more fearful and why did the United States government ban it from any government agency PCs if it was so safe. I know U.S. government is not always trustworthy, but in this case, I do not see why they would ban it if there was no legit concern.

I mean back in the day in like 2003-2006 when parts of U.S government were in bed with RIAA and MPAA and tried to ban P2P software form government computers. Totally different animal and not something for consumers to be worried about as that ban was not looking out for consumers best interest.

But why would U.S. government ban Kaspersky?? Its not like they are being paid off today to line anyone's pockets unlike the RIAA/MPAA back in 2003-2006?? Or are other AV vendors paying them off to ban Kaspersky??

Thats speculation. You can ofc ask questions, but do make it clear that they are just speculation and not something concrete. I don't go into what I think US government does/does not, thats more about politics than facts, in many ways, and politics are under full site-wide ban. Which is another reason why I ask you to keep such discussion out.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 5/18/2022 at 8:43 PM, Wolverine2349 said:

I am looking for a good free one. Or maybe a paid one as well.

I have heard good things about Kaspersky, but scared of them due to Russia invasion of Ukraine and its ties to Kremlin so it is out. I Fear since Eugene Kaspersky is CEO and he was in Russia military back in the day, he would cooperate in putting in a backdoor to destroy millions of PCs as Russia is our enemy and what better way for Puttn to do cyber warfare on us than destroy data on millions of American and Western country PCs running it. So sadly despite it being good and lite on usage, Kaspersky is ruled out now from my PCs.

How is Panda compared to NOD32??

And how about Avira compared to Avast and AVG.

I have read that Panda and NOD32 are light on resource usage and have good detection rates overall where as BitDefender and McAfee and Norton are heavier on resource usage??

I do not need a firewall as Windows firewall is more than enough Just basic protection with some website filtering marking what is safe or not like what Kaspersky had when I felt safer using it.

Install Malwarebytes and then if it can't find malware, then install herdProtect (multi-engine (67 engines) (it's like VirusTotal, but not the online version and it scans your system like the antiviruses)

Download from here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150630003345/https://www.herdprotect.com/downloads.aspx

It's alive and not dead. (updates the engines and the core of the app daily)