HELP!!! Router Setup

Animity36

Hi I'm trying to setup a router in my room and I can't figure out how to configure it. 

I have the fiber line coming into my room into a Nokia ONT and then connected into the wall with an ethernet cable. It then connects to the telus router/modem upstairs which is connected to an Asus router as well as the fiber optic TV box. I'm want to be able to hardwire into my laptop in my room. However, Only 1 port on the ONT transmits data. I have another router that I've tried using as a switch between the ONT and the wall connection in my room. However, I can't seem to configure it correctly. When I have it set as a router, the optic tv upstairs stutters. I'd prefer to solve this without purchasing any additional hardware.  Any help is much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Animity36 said:

Hi I'm trying to setup a router in my room and I can't figure out how to configure it. 

I have the fiber line coming into my room into a Nokia ONT and then connected into the wall with an ethernet cable. It then connects to the telus router/modem upstairs which is connected to an Asus router as well as the fiber optic TV box. I'm want to be able to hardwire into my laptop in my room. However, Only 1 port on the ONT transmits data. I have another router that I've tried using as a switch between the ONT and the wall connection in my room. However, I can't seem to configure it correctly. When I have it set as a router, the optic tv upstairs stutters. I'd prefer to solve this without purchasing any additional hardware.  Any help is much appreciated. 

The problem with the word “router” is these days it can mean 3 different things.  The original meaning of the word is a device that connected ethernet LANs to other ethernet LANs and is different than a switch, which is the device used within the LAN.  Frequently switch/router combo devices are called “routers”. To make it mor e fun WAPs are often called “routers” too, because a WAP is frequently a wireless switch,  a 4 port ethernet switch, and an Ethernet router all in one unit. They are also often called “routers” too though “wireless router” would be more accurate.  I’m not sure one can even get a pure router anymore.  They’re a bit like ethernet hubs.  Hard to find and bought only used. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Animity36 said:

I have the fiber line coming into my room into a Nokia ONT and then connected into the wall with an ethernet cable. It then connects to the telus router/modem upstairs

ONT just converts light from fiber into electrical signal on the copper cable which goes to ISP box. You can't put anything in-between ONT and ISP box, it makes no sense.

The ISP router/modem device whatever you want to call it, is doing the routing between your home network and the Internet. If you want to connect your lappy with a wire to the Internet, you need to run a cable from the ISP box to your lappy, period. Just accept it.

Which model ISP router you got? 

Why Asus device is even there, what purpose does it have?

The ISP router I got is the Telus Wifi Hub (Arcadyan).TELUS Wi-Fi Hub (Arcadyan) Teardown - iFixit

I just use the ASUS Router upstairs because it has better speeds then the Telus one. I also just have the extra one because I used to live somewhere else, before moving here.

The ISP router is plugged into the wall with a coax, which connects it to the optic TV upstairs. I have a coax conneciton downstairs in my room, and was wondiring if I could just hardwire from there? Since finding another way to run a cable to my room downstairs would take significantly more time.

Ethernet does not use coax cable natively. There are adapters, you would need two of them, one where the laptop is and one where the  Telus Wifi Hub is. then use the existing coax wiring in your home between them. Lastly two ethernet rj45 patches, one in your laptop, other one in your Telus Wifi Hub LAN interface. This in theory should work... Also it rides on the assumption you have coax wiring in your home already, and there is a spare run of cable that is not already in use.

Picture for reference:

image.png.5815ab9934d6a0e6245aa2b6f84d437c.png

What you want is a rj45 cable between your laptop and one of the yellow LAN ports on the Telus WiFi Hub directly, this is the most reliable connection.

Your Optik TV is on the MoCA port on your picture, correct? That's fine, but this connection can only be used by your Optik TV since the provider already preconfigured the two devices to talk to each other using that coax cable or whatever they got there.

8 hours ago, Animity36 said:

The ISP router I got is the Telus Wifi Hub (Arcadyan).TELUS Wi-Fi Hub (Arcadyan) Teardown - iFixit

I just use the ASUS Router upstairs because it has better speeds then the Telus one. I also just have the extra one because I used to live somewhere else, before moving here.

That’s a rather specialized and old fashioned piece of kit. That looks like a switch  for isdn or a cable box or something.  With isdn and some cable boxes they will carry two lines of audio phone which was split away from the rest of the signal.  The yellow rj45s will be a 4 port switch.  The grey ports are rj11 for phone (the isdn option). I don’t know what the coax connector is for, though it was likely where the isdn or cable used to go in. There’s also a usb at the bottom. There may also be wireless.  I don’t know.  There’s no visible antennas but they could be internal. It may still function strictly as a 4 port switch.  You could do a star LAN with it maybe.  The problem is it’s a switching router who’s only wan input is that coax there.  I have no clue about that USB port.  It appears to be type a 3.0, but that thing looks like it came from some sort of cable tv company or something and afaik it could be almost anything. It could be you could just slap a rj45 to usbA adaptor on it and it would function as a wan. Or nothing might happen or you could have a fire.  I really don’t know. Without a functional wan port though there’s not much you can do with it

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks for all the info, I'll probably try the method with the coax adapters. Hopefully that workout.

5 minutes ago, Animity36 said:

coax adapters

Another option (probably cheaper) would be to try Powerline Ethernet Adapters.

This would use your home electrical wiring, rather than your home coax wiring.

Theoretical Speeds are probably lower, but less clutter and probably cheaper.

8 minutes ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

Another option (probably cheaper) would be to try Powerline Ethernet Adapters.

This would use your home electrical wiring, rather than your home coax wiring.

Theoretical Speeds are probably lower, but less clutter and probably cheaper.

The issue with powerline ethernet is it’s 10base2, and one is entirely dependent on how a long dead electrician happened to do the wiring of the house.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.  Supposedly chances are better with homes built in the 70’s.  Probably has to do with some code thing.   It’s faster than original 10base2 (vampire tap ethernet) which is even older than 10baseT, which was a 90’s thing, but it’s still not exactly quick.  It’s a whole lot better than nothing at all though.

Edited by Bombastinator

9 hours ago, Animity36 said:

The ISP router I got is the Telus Wifi Hub (Arcadyan).

This is how Verizon does Fiber in the US. They have a separate ONT and then they use Coax to bring internet to the router. The reason why is they use Moca to deliver internet over the Coax and use the lower bands to deliver TV service. HOWEVER Verizon only does Moca setups on Internet thats slower than 100 Mbps I believe. Ive also read that these routers provide a data connection to the TV boxes so they can download guide info, not sure if thats true or not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.