Is There Any Benefit To PCI 4.0?

I can't find a definitive answer online, so I'll ask here. I know that gpus for the past few years have been designed for PCI 4.0, but is there all that much of a difference if a gpu is ran on PCI 3.0? Will a gpu be weaker, slower at communicating with the rest of the computer, or is there no real difference? I'm wondering because I heard something about gpus not really using all of the potential bandwidth of 4.0 in the first place and now there's PCI 5.0.

Depends on the card and what you're doing. If it's a 6500XT with only 4 PCIe lanes, the difference between PCIe gen 3 and gen 4 is pretty huge. If it's a 3060Ti and you're just gaming, there's basically no difference. A 3090 and you're just gaming, there's a difference of about 5FPS depending on the game. A 3090 doing something workstation related where it actually relies on the bandwidth, the difference is actually pretty big. 

doing standard gaming today?  3 vs 4 vs 5 doesn't make much difference.  (Except on an RX6500XT.  Cuz it's terrible.)

In the future, features like "Direct Storage" and others will make use of the faster PCIE 4 and 5 standards, but nothing on PC is using those techs (yet)