Will this PSU be okay?

youssef10112
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
2 hours ago, youssef10112 said:

https://www.elnekhelytechnology.com/psu/asus-tuf-gaming-550b-550w-bronze?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Would this be fine? It's Tier B on the tier list and the price is about 70$

Yeah. Those are good.  Just about the only Asus branded PSUs I would recommend.

21 minutes ago, youssef10112 said:

I bought this PSU https://aerocool.io/product/aero-white-650w/ for my 5600g iGPU build but I'm planning on a GPU upgrade in the future.

Will it be okay or will I need another one?

Considering we don't know how much power the GPU you will buy will use, the answer could be yes, no or maybe.

A mid-range card I'd certainly think so.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

In the PSU tier list, this PSU is listed in tier D, meaning it is definitely suitable for your current system. Considering that it has 650W total wattage and two 6+2pin headers for GPUs, it will probably be able to support most midrange GPUs. However, it is still just 80plus certified, so it is for sure something to keep in mind when upgrading the system.

for a 5600g its fine, overkill actually.

depends on what gpu you want to add

3060 ti or lower- definetly

3070 yes

3080 maybe

anything higher- probably not

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Considering we don't know how much power the GPU you will buy will use

1 hour ago, rippy4500 said:

for a 5600g its fine, overkill actually.

depends on what gpu you want to add

A 3060 at the max

It's a groupregulated unit. Why the F do you want to buy a shitty groupreg PSU nowadays when there are a lot of independent regulated units, even with LLC on the primary, available in the budget segment!!

5 hours ago, --SID-- said:

It's a groupregulated unit. Why the F do you want to buy a shitty groupreg PSU nowadays when there are a lot of independent regulated units, even with LLC on the primary, available in the budget segment!!

It's my first build, I researched all the parts well except power supplies thinking that the only thing that matters is the amount of wattage in the 12V rail. It's a dumb mistake but I wanna know if it will power a 3050 or a 3060 without burning something.

4 hours ago, youssef10112 said:

It's my first build, I researched all the parts well except power supplies thinking that the only thing that matters is the amount of wattage in the 12V rail. It's a dumb mistake but I wanna know if it will power a 3050 or a 3060 without burning something.

Wattage wise, yes, but the platform uses a group regulated unit so it's not suitable for anything more than an iGPU 

Anyway if you have bought one then might as just well use it (alternatively try to return or sell it if you can) 

9 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Probably OP is living in a country where selections are very limited, especially at the lower end of the pricing spectrum

16 hours ago, youssef10112 said:

At least you realize you made a dumb mistake.  Return the PSU and get something that's not a potato.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:37 PM, doubleflower said:

Wattage wise, yes, but the platform uses a group regulated unit so it's not suitable for anything more than an iGPU 

Anyway if you have bought one then might as just well use it (alternatively try to return or sell it if you can) 

Will there be a risk if I use it with a 3050? I really don't have money to get both GPU and a better PSU since the cheapest C tier one I can find is double the price of this one.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, doubleflower said:

Probably OP is living in a country where selections are very limited, especially at the lower end of the pricing spectrum

Correct

5 hours ago, youssef10112 said:

Will there be a risk if I use it with a 3050? I really don't have money to get both GPU and a better PSU since the cheapest C tier one I can find is double the price of this one.

You get what you pay for.  They say that for a reason.  I wouldn't use that PSU to charge a phone.

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah. Those are good.  Just about the only Asus branded PSUs I would recommend.

Okay, thank you and everyone else for replying!