Help setting static IPs

da na

First, sorry for the dumb question, but I don't have any experience with networking.

I connected my NAS and workstation with an Ethernet cable, worked fine, but this morning when I turned on my workstation its IP had changed so I can't access the NAS anymore. I understand that I have to set a static IP. For a connection not through a switch and just between the 2 computers, no Internet access, what should I set here? (NAS)

image.png.c278232f234d3573b1d0e31147bbf512.png

And I assume I would set the same settings here on my workstation? Is Subnet mask the same as subnet prefix length?

image.png.41e467f81c9645d0430e2e664650406d.png

I've tried putting 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 as addresses and using the default 255.0.0.0 subnet and Windows 10 says it can't save the IP settings.

What should I set the gateway to? Same as IP? What about DNS server?
Any help would be appreciated! 

PC1:

IP Addr: 192.168.0.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: empty

DNS: empty

NAS:

IP Addr: 192.168.0.2

Subnet:255.255.255.0 (or subnet prefix of /24)

DNS: empty.

You dont have to set a gateway or DNS. You can then should be able to have a network between two devices using IP address.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

PC1:

IP Addr: 192.168.0.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

DNS: empty

NAS:

IP Addr: 192.168.0.2

Subnet:255.255.255.0 (or subnet prefix of /24)

DNS: empty.

You dont have to set a gateway or DNS. You can then should be able to browse between two devices using IP address.

Ah my problem must have been trying to set them to the same value.

image.png.942a05313e41fc520aa7c292582671a3.png

Still says can't save though. 

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Ah my problem must have been trying to set them to the same value.

image.png.942a05313e41fc520aa7c292582671a3.png

Still says can't save though. 

You can set gateway and DNS IP addr of the first device and see if it works (192.168.0.1)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Still says can't save. 

prefix length should be 24.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

image.png.924e528cd1f5e2ead44f8dd6836b3b77.png

Huh. 

192.168.0.2 again?

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

4 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

192.168.0.2 again?

That fixed the Windows issue - the 2 PCs are still communicating over WiFi instead of Ethernet but at least Windows is letting it somewhat work. Thanks! 

Edit: If I turn off Wifi and open files on the NAS, I see usage on the Ethernet network so it works! 

15 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

That fixed the Windows issue - the 2 PCs are still communicating over WiFi instead of Ethernet but at least Windows is letting it somewhat work. Thanks! 

What IP is the other network using? Make sure the 192.168.0.1/24 isn't in the same subnet

16 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Edit: If I turn off Wifi and open files on the NAS, I see usage on the Ethernet network so it works! 

You can set the interface metric for each NIC. Set ether net to a lower metric than WiFi.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10

EDIT: Actually, @Electronics Wizardy suggestion is easier. Change them to a different subnet. So set the PC to 192.168.10.1/24 and the NAS to 192.168.10.2/24 and access the NAS using that IP (192.168.10.2) and Windows won't even try to use wifi