Need help with an odd double router setup.

Dynamicace

Okay so I will try to explain this simply. I want to play VR wirelessly on my oculus and I was happy I could make it work, kinda. what I need to do is force my pc to connect to the wan/lan port and maybe still get internet via the wireless card. Details below.

so my pc is 2 floors above and on the opposite side of the house as our wifi gen 5 maybe gen 6 unit. It works I can play 4k videos and download stuff pretty quick. No way would it be good for VR (diddnt actually try it). 

so I grab an old net gear nighthawk with ac wireless 5G. I plug the port into the back of my pc and it doesn’t connect. It sees a connection and says no internet but I can not pick it. When I pick it it takes me the the Ethernet settings page where you can select advanced sharing and such. Still nothing saying connect. 

so I said screw it, lets connect to the 5G like the headset and voila I can play pc VR. It felt decent for the hour or so I played. PC in “large closet” with router sitting on top about 25-35 feet from my VR spot. 

now is there a way I can connect to the VR only router via the Ethernet port and allow myself to play VR while also still getting an internet connection from my wireless card. If not at least connect to the Ethernet port on the pc side to lower ping and such. Then just pick connections based on online pc game or anything else in offline mode.  

so goal is.  wifi to pc to Ethernet to router to different wifi to Oculus Running vr desktop!

if it’s best to spend $300 on wifi 6e 2 station mesh access let me know. The tp link deco xe75 looked good. I could use the main unit as I do now and then put the other on the closet with the pc and use one of the 3 (1gigabit) ports on the back to the pc then I should have wired internet and could play pc vr even better? I figured 5G AC with nothing else using it might be enough. 

Router --> router (AP) --> PC --> VR if I am understanding how the things are laid out, that would be a more streamlined way to do that than trying to use the wireless card to make a sorta kinda mesh system that would require a card with at least two ports.

@Dynamicace

Your setup sounds complicated.

Are you able to run ethernet from the primary router to the location you need better wireless coverage and use the Nighthawk in AP mode? That would be a much simpler setup without having to spend a significant amount of money.

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Router --> router (AP) --> PC --> VR if I am understanding how the things are laid out, that would be a more streamlined way to do that than trying to use the wireless card to make a sorta kinda mesh system that would require a card with at least two ports.

Currently it starts at the router on the first floor. Then I get wireless 5G to my gaming pc with a wireless card.

now I added a second router purely for VR that I am currently connected to by disconnecting from my (internet wifi) and connect to my (VR wifi).

I want to do the same except use my wifi card to supply internet out of my pc via Ethernet to the VR wifi unit. That way I still have internet and PCVR. 

unless I can setup the nighthawk as an AP maybe as the guy below says. Guess I’d still connect via Ethernet. Not sure if it’s compatible or can be setup as an AP. As there is no way to connect the pc to Ethernet from the internet wifi router on the first floor. It’s about 100 feet away straight shot with 2 floors and multiple walls in between.

36 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Dynamicace

Your setup sounds complicated.

Are you able to run ethernet from the primary router to the location you need better wireless coverage and use the Nighthawk in AP mode? That would be a much simpler setup without having to spend a significant amount of money.

It’s way to far away to connect the pc or second router to the internet connected wifi unit. That’s why I knew a second router was needed and thankful I kept it.  

Maybe for an AP I could grab the wifi signal (with internet) and have the nighthawk rebroadcast the wifi signal like a repeater then connect to Ethernet. I just don’t know how to do that or if the nighthawk I have can do that. I did login to the router but the nighthawk was not look user friendly. I saw where to rename the networks and password and could even turn off the 2.4 or 5ghz signal.

4 minutes ago, Dynamicace said:

Currently it starts at the router on the first floor. Then I get wireless 5G to my gaming pc with a wireless card.

now I added a second router purely for VR that I am currently connected to by disconnecting from my (internet wifi) and connect to my (VR wifi).

I want to do the same except use my wifi card to supply internet out of my pc via Ethernet to the VR wifi unit. That way I still have internet and PCVR. 

unless I can setup the nighthawk as an AP maybe as the guy below says. Guess I’d still connect via Ethernet. Not sure if it’s compatible or can be setup as an AP. As there is no way to connect the pc to Ethernet from the internet wifi router on the first floor. It’s about 100 feet away straight shot with 2 floors and multiple walls in between.

I have a nighthawk and it was the easiest setup I've ever encountered for making it an AP. like straight up dead easy, very user friendly GUI, just connect to the router IP, set it as an AP, have it find the network, Boom, AP setup

18 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I have a nighthawk and it was the easiest setup I've ever encountered for making it an AP. like straight up dead easy, very user friendly GUI, just connect to the router IP, set it as an AP, have it find the network, Boom, AP setup

That sounds good, I’ll give it another go. (It’s an older model with wifi AC I think) 

just to confirm I can grab the wifi signal from the downstairs unit and have the nighthawk repeat that signal (just downgraded from AX to AC) then connect my pc Ethernet to the nighthawk and then connect the VR unit to the nighthawk wifi.  Or do I need an Ethernet cord connecting the 2 routers (which I can’t)?

The cord connecting is the easiest way and is quite simply plug and play, the mesh is slightly harder. The r6120 that I was using took a little bit of finagling to find that option but I ultimately went with cable to get a more reliable signal. (lots of plaster, wood, and wire mesh caused huge signal loss)

6 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

The cord connecting is the easiest way and is quite simply plug and play, the mesh is slightly harder. The r6120 that I was using took a little bit of finagling to find that option but I ultimately went with cable to get a more reliable signal. (lots of plaster, wood, and wire mesh caused huge signal loss)

Not an option would cost thousands to hard wire. Would have to tear open wall and ceilings and floors. Like I said it’s 100 feet or so straight shot. Would take 300-400 feet of Ethernet. 

9 hours ago, Dynamicace said:

Not an option would cost thousands to hard wire. Would have to tear open wall and ceilings and floors. Like I said it’s 100 feet or so straight shot. Would take 300-400 feet of Ethernet. 

Maybe to wire everything, but you want to at LEAST run a single wire for a repeater.  Repeating a wireless signal by connecting over wireless back to the router will halve its bandwidth, unless you are able to give it a dedicated wireless channel for the link back to the main router.  Even then, you're doubling the chance of problems by broadcasting a wireless signal twice.

I have a dedicated wireless point to point link across the road then have an Access Point broadcasting on a different channel for my devices to use.  I still get a more reliable, faster connection hard wiring into the switch at the other end of that point to point link as every time you go over wireless you introduce latency and potential for interference from other networks.

I know most people do not like them, but a flat CAT6 cable run along baseboard can be quite subtle, or some form of fibre.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, Dynamicace said:

If ethernet is a problem for you. Get a Fibre cable and get a MikroTik 5 port SFP+ at 10G (CRS305-1G-4S+IN) switch with a single RJ45 connector, although you would need to get an SPF module.

FS.COM MODULE:

https://www.fs.com/products/74668.html?attribute=106&id=287339

Here is the link to the switch:

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Maybe to wire everything, but you want to at LEAST run a single wire for a repeater.  Repeating a wireless signal by connecting over wireless back to the router will halve its bandwidth, unless you are able to give it a dedicated wireless channel for the link back to the main router.  Even then, you're doubling the chance of problems by broadcasting a wireless signal twice.

I have a dedicated wireless point to point link across the road then have an Access Point broadcasting on a different channel for my devices to use.  I still get a more reliable, faster connection hard wiring into the switch at the other end of that point to point link as every time you go over wireless you introduce latency and potential for interference from other networks.

I know most people do not like them, but a flat CAT6 cable run along baseboard can be quite subtle, or some form of fibre.

This is where I would just spend $300 on the deco xe75 from to link with 2 units for a mesh wifi 6e. I just hate to spend that much when the one unit is wifi 6 and the night hawk is wifi AC. So gen 5? The nighthawk gets enough bandwidth on 5G to play the oculus how I want at this time, no lag and great image. I just didn’t want to have to play offline. No way to check out new games or download games or download room options. I don’t use the computer for much other than gaming. So only bandwidth I need that would need lower latency for me is the rare multiplayer game such as Pavlov or maybe dead by daylight when playing on my monitor and not VR. Everything else I download would be fine at half speed or even lower (just have to wait longer)

13 hours ago, Dynamicace said:

This is where I would just spend $300 on the deco xe75 from to link with 2 units for a mesh wifi 6e. I just hate to spend that much when the one unit is wifi 6 and the night hawk is wifi AC. So gen 5? The nighthawk gets enough bandwidth on 5G to play the oculus how I want at this time, no lag and great image. I just didn’t want to have to play offline. No way to check out new games or download games or download room options. I don’t use the computer for much other than gaming. So only bandwidth I need that would need lower latency for me is the rare multiplayer game such as Pavlov or maybe dead by daylight when playing on my monitor and not VR. Everything else I download would be fine at half speed or even lower (just have to wait longer)

Its not just speed though its latency, so it could be detrimental to any online gaming.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 5/4/2022 at 4:42 AM, Sir Asvald said:

If ethernet is a problem for you. Get a Fibre cable and get a MikroTik 5 port SFP+ at 10G (CRS305-1G-4S+IN) switch with a single RJ45 connector, although you would need to get an SPF module.

Don't even need that. A simple gigabit media converter at each end would do the job.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.