DHCP Error on 2.5 gig Gigabyte B550i

cluelessgenius

so i just gt this board and installed all the drivers but im stil having issues with the networking:

1. the wifi needs to be deactivated and reactivad after every reboot for it to work (yellow triangle in device manager ..idk)

2. and the 2.5 gig realtek port (device manager looks normal) gets an ip from the 169.254.x.x range which google told me is a dhcp error but idk where to go from there. read that a lot of people have issues with their 2.5 gig ports though 

so im asking for help, thanks guys

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

With the WiFi, have you insatalled the drivers from the manufacturer website or just allowed Windows to find and install drivers?

6 minutes ago, whispous said:

With the WiFi, have you insatalled the drivers from the manufacturer website or just allowed Windows to find and install drivers?

gigabytes site. since i had no network at all after mobo install. i had to get all the drivers on another system and install it offline. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

gigabytes site. since i had no network at all after mobo install. i had to get all the drivers on another system and install it offline. 

And, silly question, but is Windows fully updated? And i really do mean FULLY UPDATED. Push it to check for updates until it definitely cannot find any more.

Just now, whispous said:

And, silly question, but is Windows fully updated? And i really do mean FULLY UPDATED. Push it to check for updates until it definitely cannot find any more.

i mean i could check if theres any optionals but i think so. ran for a week or so now with lan via usb-hub ethernet jack since the onboard isnt working and im not restarting the wifi every time

10 hours ago, whispous said:

ok so no more updates. what now

7 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok so no more updates. what now

Well i'm guessing this didn't help in this case?

10 minutes ago, whispous said:

Well i'm guessing this didn't help in this case?

nope

ok for anyone interested i fixed it.

what ended up working for me is going to device manager, then update driver, then select manually and select a driver from list, then i choose the very generic sounding pcie ethernet driver instead of all the once labeled gaming family something and it works perfectly now

8 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok for anyone interested i fixed it.

what ended up working for me is going to device manager, then update driver, then select manually and select a driver from list, then i choose the very generic sounding pcie ethernet driver instead of all the once labeled gaming family something and it works perfectly now

I'd try the latest Realtek chipset driver personally, it might be newer than the motherboard manufacturer version.  Using generic will lose the hardware offloading features which is probably not the end of the world but ideally you want to keep them for CPU efficiency.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd try the latest Realtek chipset driver personally, it might be newer than the motherboard manufacturer version.  Using generic will lose the hardware offloading features which is probably not the end of the world but ideally you want to keep them for CPU efficiency.

tried that. directly from realteks site. the installer from gigabyte doesnt work anyway. it starts loading and then just dissappears and the driver version number stays the same. run as admin didnt help with that either. so i installed the realtek driver. installation works but i still got a 169.254 ip suggesting dhcp error. ich cleared the dns/dhcp cache on my router, did a dns flush on the system but nothing. of couree id prefer the "correct" driver but id also prefer to have working lan connection at all

48 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

tried that. directly from realteks site. the installer from gigabyte doesnt work anyway. it starts loading and then just dissappears and the driver version number stays the same. run as admin didnt help with that either. so i installed the realtek driver. installation works but i still got a 169.254 ip suggesting dhcp error. ich cleared the dns/dhcp cache on my router, did a dns flush on the system but nothing. of couree id prefer the "correct" driver but id also prefer to have working lan connection at all

That's really weird, you'd kinda expect if it was defective the generic driver wouldn't work either.  In fact I wasn't aware the generic driver worked on anything but the USB versions, as there's a USB Ethernet standard there.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

alright so now i reinstalled the driver and tried a bunch od stuff and it works fine under the generic 2.5gig gaming family driver BUT especially right after booting it pops up a virtual drive which looks like it wants me to intall drivers from but before i can click on it it dissapears again and i get that device connected and device disconnected windows sound a coupe of times and its really annoying