Can a PCIE 3.0 Riser Be Used in a PCIE 4.0 Slot

I'm going to be building a ITX pc case and to fit a full sized GPU in it I will need to use a riser cable. I have a gtx 780ti which is a pcie 3.0 card, but my motherboard is pci 4.0. I know that 3.0 cards can be used in 4.0 slot no problem, but I don't if a 3.0 riser is. Would a pcie 3.0 riser plugged into a pcie 4.0 slot worked, or do I need to buy a more expensive 4.0 riser?

it should be fine, but when you have a 4.0 card in a 4.0 slot with a 3.0 riser you most likely need to force the slot to act like 3.0 for it to work.

but given that your GPU is 3.0 it'll never encounter that issue.

38 minutes ago, Just_Landon said:

I'm going to be building a ITX pc case and to fit a full sized GPU in it I will need to use a riser cable. I have a gtx 780ti which is a pcie 3.0 card, but my motherboard is pci 4.0. I know that 3.0 cards can be used in 4.0 slot no problem, but I don't if a 3.0 riser is. Would a pcie 3.0 riser plugged into a pcie 4.0 slot worked, or do I need to buy a more expensive 4.0 riser?

usually they are compatible just it will be limited to 3.0 speeds, and as said if your gpu is 3.0 then it won't matter

As other have said it will work fine. I've run a gen3 riser in a gen4 mobo with a gen3 gpu and it worked no bother at all.

Pcie is backwards compatible, so as long as the older gen stuff is at the end of the chain it will work if that make sense? (Gpu>riser>16x slot)