How can I get more ethernet ports in my house working?

dylanjp
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
35 minutes ago, dylanjp said:

So if the switch goes after the router.... do I have to move my router to the basement? If I have to do that how have I make sure I still have good wifi signals on the 3rd floor?

Without even more hardware, sadly yes.  This is one reason why having a combined router and WiFi Access Point is a PITA.  The ideal place for the router in a house pre-wired like that is not the ideal place for WiFi.  Its why some people when wiring a house will have two ethernet ports per room, then you can put the router anywhere.

The ideal situation with your setup IMO would be to have an access point on the end of one of the new ethernet ports you wired up to the switch which would provide the WiFi to the third floor.

There are ways around this with two managed switches and VLANs, but its adding unnecessary complexity and its not a bad thing to have a dedicated WiFi Access Point, especially as you then could have WiFi broadcast from both the lowest and highest point in the house which I'd expect to improve your WiFi speeds around the house.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

You could also just get a cheap second router and turn off dhcp / put it in bridge mode. They are sometimes cheaper than a dedicated access point. Put that on the 3rd floor, move the router to the basement. That's what I've done at my place. I had old routers from previous isp upgrades. Rather than collect dust, I use them to beef up wifi where the signal is weak. 

I used to do this and will never recommend a router over a proper Access Point any more.  They're made much more cheaply with less robust WiFi as Access Points are designed for business use.

Sure its not guaranteed they will perform any worse, but Access Points are often ceiling mounted which gives much better WiFi coverage than a router sat on a shelf or table.  They also usually are Power over Ethernet so only need a single cable to be run to their location, which is easier and neater to install for best coverage.  The power could be fed from the basement over the ethernet cable.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I used to do this and will never recommend a router over a proper Access Point any more.  They're made much more cheaply with less robust WiFi as Access Points are designed for business use.

Sure its not guaranteed they will perform any worse, but Access Points are often ceiling mounted which gives much better WiFi coverage than a router sat on a shelf or table.  They also usually are Power over Ethernet so only need a single cable to be run to their location, which is easier and neater to install for best coverage.  The power could be fed from the basement over the ethernet cable.

Yes it's not ideal, but it's a decent way to keep costs down and old electronics out of the landfill. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Yes it's not ideal, but it's a decent way to keep costs down and old electronics out of the landfill. 

Indeed, but I just wouldn't encourage people to do it in general unless they have spare routers knocking around and know the caveats with such a setup such as disabled everything correctly so it doesn't break their LAN.

When the house is pre-wired for ethernet, you might as well do it properly and neatly.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

The basement guy can whine about wifi all he wants. With a 90mb connection any consumer access point will add < 1ms latency. This isnt 2006. 

For a 90mb connection I would just plug a cheap switch into the router if there's no available port and an access point into that. 

1 hour ago, wseaton said:

The basement guy can whine about wifi all he wants. With a 90mb connection any consumer access point will add < 1ms latency. This isnt 2006. 

For a 90mb connection I would just plug a cheap switch into the router if there's no available port and an access point into that. 

Pretty sure I get more like 3ms even on WiFi 6, plus the bigger issue is reliability as WiFi will have a tendency to add jitter or someone walking past the router can cause drop outs.  Its just far from ideal for a streamer and why not "do it right" if you can and everyone be happier all around?

But why the extra work and expense for a tenant who is getting free internet. If he wants better he can get his own account.

46 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

But why the extra work and expense for a tenant who is getting free internet. If he wants better he can get his own account.

Maybe they are willing to contribute to the cost?

Maybe they are friends and just wanting to be nice?

Maybe having a good centralised setup is just better for everyone in the household?

Its not our place to question why the OP is willing to do this.

When your getting free internet just be happy that it's free. You can always pay for your own. Most renters don't have free internet.

2 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

When your getting free internet just be happy that it's free. You can always pay for your own. Most renters don't have free internet.

Except they may have included Internet as part of the deal for living there.  Again, its not your place to speculate on why the OP wants to do this, they only asked for help in how to.

21 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Hmm, perhaps the OP is the "tenant".

Well then at least they now know the expense of doing this for the landlord. 😉