New monitor is much more pixelated

Zalosath

Hi,

I recently switched from a 4K to a 2K monitor so I anticipated some loss of quality but the difference is quite drastic.

My old 4K was 60Hz and not really that great for gaming, hence the change.

I now have an LG 32GP850 running at 165Hz and 2K resolution.

It's worth noting that I also have an LG 34WN750-B which is an ultrawide, same number of pixels in height but is shorter in dimensions so pixel density is higher.

The comparison between the two is very recognizable, I don't know how best to describe it except that it's just not as crisp.

I've uploaded some pictures.

spacer.png

This picture is of the less crisp monitor.

spacer.png

And this is the crisper monitor.

Tell me if I'm being unreasonable here because honestly they look pretty similar in the closeups.

What I've tried:

- Playing with Sharpness settings

- ClearText calibration

- Changing resolution

- Changed profiles on monitor

It's noticeable but I'm not sure if it's expected or not, does anyone have any wisdom? Thanks.

EDIT: It also appears to sometimes merge letters, especially the letter i, it will merge the dot and the line so it just looks like l.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Use the monitor native resolution , make sure the card does full rgb or ycbcr 4:4:4 full , not studio/limited

play with clear type / clear text, see text scaling options ...at 32" and 1080p you may want less than 100% scaling.

does it fix itself if set to 60hz? may be sacrificing clarity or refresh rate

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Use the monitor native resolution , make sure the card does full rgb or ycbcr 4:4:4 full , not studio/limited

play with clear type / clear text, see text scaling options ...at 32" and 1080p you may want less than 100% scaling.

Native resolution is 2560x1440, I have it set to that.

It's a 3090 founders, which I believe has one of the two.

I tried the clear type options. 

Scaling to 125% does help considerably but everything feels to big 😄 

It's 1440p not 1080, but either way it won't let me go below 100%.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

does it fix itself if set to 60hz? may be sacrificing clarity or refresh rate

Afraid not.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

1 minute ago, Zalosath said:

Scaling to 125% does help considerably but everything feels to big

windows scaling is really annoying with what it decides is 1:1

125% might be "100%" on that monitor and the large UI is gonna be a result of the resolution being lower than 4k

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

windows scaling is really annoying with what it decides is 1:1

125% might be "100%" on that monitor and the large UI is gonna be a result of the resolution being lower than 4k

Are you aware of a way to adjust the text scaling but keep the UI size?

Note, I tried to increase text scaling and actually it has no effect on the issue, only changing the whole scale of the screen does.

Maybe your theory is correct, any way to resolve that?

1 hour ago, Zalosath said:

Are you aware of a way to adjust the text scaling but keep the UI size?

Note, I tried to increase text scaling and actually it has no effect on the issue, only changing the whole scale of the screen does.

Maybe your theory is correct, any way to resolve that?

I'm not 100% sure how to do it in windows 10. I know windows 7 basically had the option to resize any aspect of the UI to anything the user wanted but with windows 10 it appears those aspects have been downgraded significantly for non power users.

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

I'm not 100% sure how to do it in windows 10. I know windows 7 basically had the option to resize any aspect of the UI to anything the user wanted but with windows 10 it appears those aspects have been downgraded significantly for non power users.

Oh Windows...

I'll probably get used to it, if it annoys me further I'll consider some other options.

Thanks for your help.