Aurora 6 GTX 1060 6GB to RTX 3060ti upgrade???

Go to solution Solved by jess7735,
1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

Bingo!

I think this will work for you. GLHF

Perfect thank you so much! I will give it a try! 

Hi, so I have Alienware Aurora R6 i7-7700 GTX 1060 6gb. I recently started streaming and recording for YouTube along with an attempt to get my foot in the door to esports. I don't have very much money so I've been trying to upgrade my PC piece by piece and I've come to the point where I believe my next step is graphics card. Otherwise, I don't get the frames I need to compete. I found a local store with an RTX 3060 TI for 589euros, The question is if my PC can handle it mainly because of its power supply I would assume but I have no idea what kind of power supply it has or if the power supply is able to be replaced without buying a new case but everything I find online says it is an 850watt PSU. I also do not know if my motherboard is compatible with this card. On the motherboard it states PCIe X8 next to the slot 1 where my current graphics card is. It is a ALIENWARE motherboard and I have no clue what is and is not compatible with it. I also have a hard time finding the name of the motherboard but in big bold letters on the front of it stands IPKBL- SC but I found in the pc hardware listing alienware 07hv66.

Now all of that story out of the way. Can anyone tell me if my motherboard is compatible with this card and if I need to buy a new case/power supply first?

PXL_20220425_140117234.jpg

PXL_20220425_140124934.jpg

That card should be compatible with the motherboard. More than likely, the power supply will be able to handle it too. If you can access it, I would look inside the case and see the rating of the PSU.

If your MB has a slot that looks like this, you can use this card. If you have an 850W PSU, you have plenty of power for it as well. Only thing you may need to do is get Molex to PCI-E power adapters if your PSU doesn't have enough PCI-E power plugs.

How to find out if your computer has a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot | Channel Pro

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

5 minutes ago, Benito593 said:

That card should be compatible with the motherboard. More than likely, the power supply will be able to handle it too. If you can access it, I would look inside the case and see the rating of the PSU.

I cant seem to find a rating anywhere. 

PXL_20220425_160210870.jpg

PXL_20220425_160121307.jpg

PXL_20220425_160127681.jpg

11 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

If your MB has a slot that looks like this, you can use this card. If you have an 850W PSU, you have plenty of power for it as well. Only thing you may need to do is get Molex to PCI-E power adapters if your PSU doesn't have enough PCI-E power plugs.

How to find out if your computer has a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot | Channel Pro

I have a slot that looks like that I think but its hard to tell 

PXL_20220425_161210107.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-181313.png

That will work!

But since that's an 8x slot, you will have a slight bottleneck and won't really be able to push the GPU as hard as you could with a 16x. Technically though still, that 16x speed would be dependent on the CPU having enough PCI lanes in the first place, which it might not for a prebuilt - they try to save a penny wherever they can. 

My only concern is the PSU. Do you have enough PCI-E power connectors for the GPU to plug into it?

6 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

That will work!

But since that's an 8x slot, you will have a slight bottleneck and won't really be able to push the GPU as hard as you could with a 16x. Technically though still, that 16x speed would be dependent on the CPU having enough PCI lanes in the first place, which it might not for a prebuilt - they try to save a penny wherever they can. 

My only concern is the PSU. Do you have enough PCI-E power connectors for the GPU to plug into it?

Perfect! and a bottleneck is ok for now, step by step. The next thing will just have to be a MB and PSU..

do you mean these plugs?

PXL_20220425_162304583.jpg

12 minutes ago, jess7735 said:

Perfect! and a bottleneck is ok for now, step by step. The next thing will just have to be a MB and PSU..

do you mean these plugs?

Bingo!

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

Bingo!

Perfect thank you so much! I will give it a try!