Razer Hypersense V3 USB Headset crackle/screeching/popping with sound sample

Go to solution Solved by BoomBoomMan,

Hi all,

The problem has been fixed with a firmware update but it also ruins the sidetone feature. More details in this Razer Forum thread.

I will keep this thread open incase of fixes for the sidetone.

Following is the post I wrote on Razer forums that was ignored, so I am reposting it here to see if anyone else is interested in helping. Please do not reply with razer products suck; if anyone thinks this is a defect, sure, but please keep down the ranting.

I have bought a cabled Kraken V3 Hypersense last year late November, and I uses it on my Razer Blade 17 which I purchased in September. I works great in all other ways, except for when it makes screeching noises randomly. It is most likely to make this noise when my laptop is underload, but it happens most frequently when I have a sound recording software open such as Discord, OBS, or even the windows sound settings. Here are the list of things I did to try to fix it:

-Reinstalling synapses (didn't keep the logs, sorry, willing to reinstall again tho)

-Reinstalling audio and usb drives

-Switching usb ports

-Unplugging the detachable mic

-Trying on a different computer (mac, did not crackle, but I also didn't open a sound recording software or test extensively, my Razer laptop never crackled before with audio jack headsets tho)

-Using a powered usb hub

-Attaching a ferrite bead to the cable

-Disabling exclusive mode, audio enhancements, and unused audio devices in windows sound settings

-Waiting for new windows update

The following video have some samples I recorded using an external mic placed in the ear cups (the noises cannot be recorded from within the laptop using software.) I was playing a moderately intensive game while being on Discord at the same time; all the noises were captured within the span of an hour, occurring 5-10 minutes apart. I have not been able to find specific cases and noises like these anywhere else. If anyone can help fix this problem, it would be great, and I hope this may also be of help to anyone with the same problem.

Sounds like incompletely controlled static or feedback or something.  It seems to come in snatches and bits.  Digital cleaning controlling an analog problem?   If it happens when it’s under load perhaps it’s an issue that the software that keeps it from happening gets out of synch because too many wait states.  Analog follows different rules than digital. Does this thing have a cord? If so does it pass over anything when you move?  If not is it wireless?  Could be radio interference.  Some microphones require batteries.  Dying battery maybe?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:51 PM, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like incompletely controlled static or feedback or something.  It seems to come in snatches and bits.  Digital cleaning controlling an analog problem?   If it happens when it’s under load perhaps it’s an issue that the software that keeps it from happening gets out of synch because too many wait states.  Analog follows different rules than digital. Does this thing have a cord? If so does it pass over anything when you move?  If not is it wireless?  Could be radio interference.  Some microphones require batteries.  Dying battery maybe?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. The headset is USB wired and does not use a battery, here is the link to it: https://www.razer.com/gaming-headsets/Razer-Kraken-V3/RZ04-03770100-R3U1

I do not think the noises are related to the movement of the cord, because sometimes I hear it screech even when it is just sitting still on the table. I've also tried rubbing the cord and pressing on every part of it and got no sounds, so it probably is not damages to the cord or static electricity.

The noises occur more frequently when the laptop is under load but recently discord alone can cause it to act up quite a bit. I do not know anything about the digital and analog topic, but following various tutorials I have tested by laptop's latency and found no problems what so ever. Here is the link to the laptop if you need it: https://www.razer.com/ca-en/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-17/RZ09-0406CE63-R3U1

One additional detail I forgot to list is when the screeching occurs, it seems to ride on top of how loud the current audio is. For example, if a lot of sounds are playing the screech would be louder and if all the sounds were to stop the screech would also suddenly diminish. 

I have heard windows 10 have some sound problems and I have followed their sound setting tutorials to no avail. I also have not heard any other sounds similar to the ones I am experiencing so I cannot confirm if this is caused by windows 10 or not. Would upgrading to windows 11 possibly fix my problem? I have not upgraded and I do not know if I should or not.

Thanks.

USB doesn’t have an analog audio channel so you’ve got digital to the headset.  It’s got to be turned analog somewhere though.  Headset may have a DAC in it.   Whatever is going on it’s either a digital problem or happening in the headset. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I did a bit of research on DAC and computer noises. Could a USB isolator possibly fix the problem? 

27 minutes ago, BoomBoomMan said:

I did a bit of research on DAC and computer noises. Could a USB isolator possibly fix the problem? 

*looks on with his lower lip dangling*. …um..I’ve never heard of such a thing but that doesn’t mean much.. are they cheap?  If they are You could always just try it and see what happens 

Some cheaper ones look wacky while others are around the $90 range. I'm going to try to find a cheap one on aliexpress or something. Some people say it gets rid of noticeable noises and improves sound quality, while some others have conducted technical tests and found no difference. I am both obsessed and desperate at this point so I'll try it out and get back to you on whether this works or not. (shipping might take a while though)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the isolator didn't work, not the 10 dollar one at least. There's also been more replies on the razer forum saying they have the same problem with the headset, so it might actually be a manufacturing issue. One of them is working with razer support right now and apparently switching headphones did not help. I'll leave this post unsolved until they come up with a conclusion over there. Thanks for your help though. I'm still open to new ideas or resolutions however if anyone else has any.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for reviving this thread, since I know it's a bit old. But I stumbled upon it while I was searching for a solution to this EXACT problem! 

I have the same pair of headsets and they have exactly the same behavior as the one you described and they are doing the same sounds that you have recorded on your video.

I've also tried everything to solve the issue, but no success until now.

Did you manage to fix it somehow? @BoomBoomMan

Unfortunately, no. The mod on the razer forum closed the thread months ago, and asked people to private message them. I have also receive more comments on my video saying the problem persisted even after they switched to new ones, further convincing me this is a hardware design failure. I myself have not private messaged the mod, but if you want to give it a try, here is the link to the thread: https://insider.razer.com/index.php?threads/kraken-v3-hypersense-crackling-screeching.84412/#post-807193

2 minutes ago, BoomBoomMan said:

Unfortunately, no. The mod on the razer forum closed the thread months ago, and asked people to private message them. I have also receive more comments on my video saying the problem persisted even after they switched to new ones, further convincing me this is a hardware design failure. I myself have not private messaged the mod, but if you want to give it a try, here is the link to the thread: https://insider.razer.com/index.php?threads/kraken-v3-hypersense-crackling-screeching.84412/#post-807193

So you never tried one of those whatsits then?

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So you never tried one of those whatsits then?

I did try it, it did not work. I mentioned this briefly in the reply from 3 month ago.

1 hour ago, BoomBoomMan said:

I did try it, it did not work. I mentioned this briefly in the reply from 3 month ago.

Then I detect a whiff of snake oil there.  There’s an app called potato that may do something like that.  It’s not my area. All I got 😕

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

The problem has been fixed with a firmware update but it also ruins the sidetone feature. More details in this Razer Forum thread.

I will keep this thread open incase of fixes for the sidetone.