LED vs LCD for long time reading

kistomi01
Go to solution Solved by tikker,
6 minutes ago, kistomi01 said:

what's the different between an LED and an LCD display?

LED screens are just LCDs that use LEDs for their backlighting. All three monitors that you mention are LED from what I find.

Rtings has reviews on each of them that may help guide the decision:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag274qrf-qd

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gp850-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/aorus-fi27q

Hello, 

I plan to buy a new 1440p monitor that will be used for gaming, content creation and reading a lot, mostly blogs and documentations. 

I started looking up some options and found a couple that are legit, 

One is the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD, another is the LG 27GP850-B, and yet another is the Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q.

I understand all are great displays and that HDR in this category is more of a marketing stunt than actual meaningful HDR. I also understand that while there's a different in response times, all three are decent (I might play some competitive games but I'm not serious about it). 

What I don't know is, in terms of eye strain during reading, what's the different between an LED and an LCD display? I have high astigmatism unfortunately so every bit of difference is blown out of proportion for me. 

Also is there any other options I missed that you would recommend? (1440p, 160+hz, IPS, not curved). 

Thanks

6 minutes ago, kistomi01 said:

what's the different between an LED and an LCD display?

LED screens are just LCDs that use LEDs for their backlighting. All three monitors that you mention are LED from what I find.

Rtings has reviews on each of them that may help guide the decision:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag274qrf-qd

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gp850-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/aorus-fi27q

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

"LED" screen is actually an "LCD" screen with led backlight.

early generation LCD use CCFL backlight, which power hungry and doesn't last as long as LED.

I believe there's no 1440p monitor that use CCFL anymore.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thanks for the help guys, seems like I was barking the wrong display technology xd 

In that case, "LED vs LCD" is not going to be the deciding factor. Do you have personal experience with either of these or their sibling products from the respective vendors? 

19 minutes ago, kistomi01 said:

Thanks for the help guys, seems like I was barking the wrong display technology xd 

In that case, "LED vs LCD" is not going to be the deciding factor. Do you have personal experience with either of these or their sibling products from the respective vendors? 

I suspect what ur thinking of as different display tech isnt LCD vs LED, as others have already said, they are the same nowadays.

Perhaps your referring to TN, IPS, and VA panel technologies.

They all use LED backlights, but the panels themselves are different.

TN tend to be cheap and have excellent moving image clarity, but have poor contrast,color reproduction, and viewing angles are terrible, also usualy suffer form terrible uniformity.

IPS tend to be the most expensive, but have the best viewing angles and highest color coverage, but have poor contrast and suffer IPS glow.

VA have the best contrast and overall picture quality, but have slower pixel response leading to worse image clarity in moving images, they also have poor viewing angles.

Generally speaking the go to panel type is IPS, however if ur looking for a display for watching movies, especially in a dark environment , VA is what ull want to get.

TN usually isnt considered anymore as its outdone by both IPS and VA.

I suggets you check the pinned threads in this Display section to further understand how to find the right display for your needs.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

I suspect what ur thinking of as different display tech isnt LCD vs LED, as others have already said, they are the same nowadays.

Perhaps your referring to TN, IPS, and VA panel technologies.

They all use LED backlights, but the panels themselves are different.

TN tend to be cheap and have excellent moving image clarity, but have poor contrast,color reproduction, and viewing angles are terrible, also usualy suffer form terrible uniformity.

IPS tend to be the most expensive, but have the best viewing angles and highest color coverage, but have poor contrast and suffer IPS glow.

VA have the best contrast and overall picture quality, but have slower pixel response leading to worse image clarity in moving images, they also have poor viewing angles.

Generally speaking the go to panel type is IPS, however if ur looking for a display for watching movies, especially in a dark environment , VA is what ull want to get.

TN usually isnt considered anymore as its outdone by both IPS and VA.

I suggets you check the pinned threads in this Display section to further understand how to find the right display for your needs.

I'll def check out some threads, ty for the tip. 

I (more or less) knew the difference between the panel types and was going for IPS that is fast enough for my needs but still has accurate and vibrant colours. 

I just saw the LG monitor marketed as "LED" and the MSI and Aorus marketed as "LCD" and thought there's some difference and one might suit me better than the other. 

I think I'll pick either the LG or the MSI, but still, both are great options and definitely a step up from the HP cheap office monitor I use now.