CPU Tower Cooler fan noise.

Jonatas

CPU cooler is Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2

CPU is I5 4440 

Noise (recording was made with the PC in the BIOS with the microphone pointed at the back of the case in 3 different positions) 

Standard Setting

Standard.m4a

Silent Setting

Silent.m4a

Full Speed Setting

Full Speed.m4a

Standard Setting

Standard 2.m4a

I don't know if this noise was always there, but I think I'd have noticed it.

I've noticed this noise after I tried a push configuration. I reversed it, placed the fan back as pull and removed the system from the case. I noticed it when I powered it on outside of the case. The noise persisted when I reinstalled the system in the case.

I don't think it was the disassemble because that was the 3rd time I took the system from a case and I had no issues previously.

Before the noise, I had used the computer without a case and also tested it with the case side panel open and in the latter I couldn't even hear the computer working from how silent it was. 

I am almost sure I had not heard this noise before. I can't say 100% because I had forgotten the CPU fan at silent in BIOS before I set it back to standard. The thing is that even set to silent I can hear this noise and it gets worse the faster the fan is set to. 

You can also hear it from a distance, you don't need to place your ear on the case to hear it.

The fan doesn't seem to be in contact with anything and the blades spin freely when I turn it with a finger and makes no noise.

I really don't want to take the whole sytem apart to RMA the cooler (I have only tested this system after the cooler arrived, barely even used it), but I'd rather RMA then try and apply some oil and risk the noise returning after warranty.

Do you have another fan you can clip on, just to eliminate the original fan as the issue?

BTW, I have the same cooler (no unusual noise though - only standard loud motor noise at higher RPMs) & replaced the fan with a more reputable model, which decreased noise greatly.

Also - basic questions - are you sure you put the heatsink on the right way & also using the right mounting brackets which switching from outside to inside the case?

11 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Do you have another fan you can clip on, just to eliminate the original fan as the issue?

BTW, I have the same cooler (no unusual noise though - only standard loud motor noise at higher RPMs) & replaced the fan with a more reputable model, which decreased noise greatly.

Also - basic questions - are you sure you put the heatsink on the right way & also using the right mounting brackets which switching from outside to inside the case?

I didn't have the time or will power to do it yet, but I'm gonna place another normal fan in place of it and I'll plug the cooler fan to the system fan header to confirm there isn't anything else going on.

I am almost sure it is the fan, because when I increase or decrease it's speed in the BIOs the sound changes visibly.

Also, when I first heard this sound, the PC was mounted on a table. The gpu fan was off and the only fans spinning were the PSU and the CPU cooler, yet you can't hear the PSU.

I don't know if I understood the last question.

I believe I have installed it right, because it won't work if you try the AMD installation holes and as I said, when I installed the cooler, this noise was not present, it was just as you described with yours.

I noticed mine makes a weird sound too.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

On 4/24/2022 at 12:10 PM, freeagent said:

I noticed mine makes a weird sound too.

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps I needed to open the page page in another tab, because I've only seen it today.

Well, that certainly sounds like my room air conditioner.

Jokes aside, it seems like your computer is at full speed (I could be mistaken). Mine does this noise on all speeds (even under 680 rpm), it just happens to be more noticeable at higher RPMs.

My worry is for the fan itself (after all I have barely used since I bought it and it is still under warranty). 

If the noise is not a defect sign then I'll breath a huge sigh or relief. After all, when in full use, any other fan is outmatched by the GPU, that sounds like you're about to enter light speed.

I'll also post an update. 

I have removed the fan from the heatsink and replaced it with a case fan to test.

I didin't hear the noise when I placed the fan in the System-Fan header and I didn't hear the noise when I plugged it back in the CPU-Fan header.

The weird is is that I didn't hear the noise with the case fan in the heatsink either.

[I did hear a low noise that was similar to the cooler fan, but it sounded normal like a sound of the motor or because the fan was running at full speed because it is 3 pin] *

Before putting the original cooler fan back in the heatsink I've swapped the PSU 4-pin CPU cable with the other one but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Then when I placed the fan back in the heatsink the noise resumed.

At least I take that the fan is working and that this noise is either caused by having the case closed, the wind coming through the heatsink fins (because I'm using in pull configuration) or the motor having to pull air through the fins.

Ironically when I did another recording with the case fan in the heatsink, the result was the same sound as in the recordings I've attached.

TL;DR

I assume the noise is generated with the case closed or because the fan is exhausting air through the heatsink, rather than pushing.