2080 Super doesn't work with my riser cable

bluegiant009

So I recently got my hands on a 2080 Super and it's not detecting on my mobo at all. My older 1070 and 1050ti work on it no problem. I know the card isn't dead because it works in another pc just fine. Wondering if it could be a bandwidth limitation to the riser cable that I have or if there really is something wrong with my 2080S. Very confused here as theoretically they should all work on it being that they're all Pcie 3.0. I don't know if this a unique scenario or if there is something bigger going on. Any tips and help would be much appreciated.

photo_2022-04-18_12-24-44.jpg

7 minutes ago, bluegiant009 said:

So I recently got my hands on a 2080 Super and it's not detecting on my mobo at all. My older 1070 and 1050ti work on it no problem. I know the card isn't dead because it works in another pc just fine. Wondering if it could be a bandwidth limitation to the riser cable that I have or if there really is something wrong with my 2080S. Very confused here as theoretically they should all work on it being that they're all Pcie 3.0. I don't know if this a unique scenario or if there is something bigger going on. Any tips and help would be much appreciated.

photo_2022-04-18_12-24-44.jpg

MOST gpu riser cables are crap quality, don't support much weight, aren't PCIE 4 etc. I'd grab this one. It is specifically designed for heavy, waterblocked cards, 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-vertical-gpu-holder-evo-gen4-riser

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

14 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

MOST gpu riser cables are crap quality, don't support much weight, aren't PCIE 4 etc. I'd grab this one. It is specifically designed for heavy, waterblocked cards, 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-vertical-gpu-holder-evo-gen4-riser

I'll order one and report back here with what happens, it's possible I might just adjust the rear hose to let the card go on the board and mount.

before you order one, go into the bios, and try to manually change pcie slot to gen 3. It might be trying 4.0 and failing and getting kinda messed up. 

ALso since its soft tubing is there any chance of you trying it without the riser cable to test it?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

before you order one, go into the bios, and try to manually change pcie slot to gen 3. It might be trying 4.0 and failing and getting kinda messed up. 

ALso since its soft tubing is there any chance of you trying it without the riser cable to test it?

Not until my buddy who set up the water cooling gets over here to adjust the tube in the back. It isn't long enough and crimps badly before I can get it high enough for the motherboard. It's a Pice 3.0 board that doesn't support 4 so I don't think that would be the issue.

37 minutes ago, bluegiant009 said:

Not until my buddy who set up the water cooling gets over here to adjust the tube in the back. It isn't long enough and crimps badly before I can get it high enough for the motherboard. It's a Pice 3.0 board that doesn't support 4 so I don't think that would be the issue.

oh, fair. Maybe try manually dropping it to 2.0 then. Just to try

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler