CPU not boosting to rated frequency

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

It's not uncommon for a 3000/5000 series Ryzen CPU to not hit its max boost speed, that max boost is only under perfectly ideal conditions. If temps are a little too high (say you're using the stock cooler), more than one thread is being used at all, or a number of other factors the CPU won't hit its max boost. 

My 5900X for example is rated for 4.8GHz max boost, I've yet to see it go above 4.7 in anything I actually do with PBO enabled. it's not uncommon. 

My Ryzen 5 3600 isn't boosting to the rated 4.2GHz, in fact I don't think I've ever seen it hit it in the 2 years I've had it. It will boost to 4.0, but I figured it should hit the rated speed, otherwise it wouldn't be sold. Does anyone know any reason why this might be, or a solution?

Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 CL19

RX 6600

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

Edit: I mainly use this for gaming

The max boost speed is only for lightly threaded workloads. Unless you're running a synthetic single-core test, or an old game that only uses one core, you probably won't ever see it.

It's not uncommon for a 3000/5000 series Ryzen CPU to not hit its max boost speed, that max boost is only under perfectly ideal conditions. If temps are a little too high (say you're using the stock cooler), more than one thread is being used at all, or a number of other factors the CPU won't hit its max boost. 

My 5900X for example is rated for 4.8GHz max boost, I've yet to see it go above 4.7 in anything I actually do with PBO enabled. it's not uncommon. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Custom power limits, not the mobo limits, as well as curve optimizer should get that bad boy boosting to 5150.

Op, if you have an Asus board, enable Asus Performance Enhancement, that should give you an extra 100MHz or so.  If your temps are already getting up there then that could be a reason why she isn’t boosting to hard for you.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14