RTX 3080 problems

mecarry30

Hi everybody - so I just got my EVGA XC3 3080 yesterday and installed it in my system. It was working fine until I tried to do any intensive computing on it, whether that be running  a game - Fortnite, War Thunder, Roblox - or running a benchmark - even Geekbench, which isn't the most demanding one -, where my system just rebooted. I changed the power cable solution from a single 6+2 from the PSU which had a splitter to 2 separate ones and the problem still continued. I've updated my drivers as well. My system specs are:

MSI Z590 motherboard

Corsair RM750 PSU.

I'm not sure how to fix this problem now, since this is my first build and I'm not sure what to do. Should I reach out to Corsair for a replacement? Or is this more likely a GPU problem?

750W should still be plenty for this kind of GPU. It sounds like it could be a few things. It should really only be drawing 450 watts at max. 

Is the Desktop the only thing on that Circuit in the house (besides the Monitor)?

Since you said you updated drivers, what is your power management set to? 

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

750W should still be plenty for this kind of GPU. It sounds like it could be a few things. It should really only be drawing 450 watts at max. 

Is the Desktop the only thing on that Circuit in the house (besides the Monitor)?

Since you said you updated drivers, what is your power management set to? 

For the first question yes, for the second one it is for performance but in evga precision i set the power limit to 80 and even 70% and it still happened.

1 hour ago, Maverickk007 said:

Do you have two 8-pin connectors to that GPU? (16 pins total)

Yeah, and I used two different sets of PSU cables - initially I used one but I changed that to two.

45 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Is that a yellow label RM750?

No, the actual text on the PSU on the label is white.

5 minutes ago, mecarry30 said:

No, the actual text on the PSU on the label is white.

Doesn't seem to be tripping OPP/OCP, as that normally requires you to flip the switch on the PSU to get your system started again

Your issue is probably caused by instability, tried running RAM without XMP?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Doesn't seem to be tripping OPP/OCP, as that normally requires you to flip the switch on the PSU to get your system started again

Your issue is probably caused by instability, tried running RAM without XMP?

When I went into UEFI/BIOS to change my CPU power limits as I thought that might have something to do with it I found that XMP was off actually, and even with it on versus off there was no difference - it still rebooted.

Just now, mecarry30 said:

When I went into UEFI/BIOS to change my CPU power limits as I thought that might have something to do with it I found that XMP was off actually, and even with it on versus off there was no difference - it still rebooted.

Well, you can start by removing your GPU and run your PC from the motherboard display out

Then run stress tests, see if that affects anything

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, mecarry30 said:

Hi everybody - so I just got my EVGA XC3 3080 yesterday and installed it in my system. It was working fine until I tried to do any intensive computing on it, whether that be running  a game - Fortnite, War Thunder, Roblox - or running a benchmark - even Geekbench, which isn't the most demanding one -, where my system just rebooted. I changed the power cable solution from a single 6+2 from the PSU which had a splitter to 2 separate ones and the problem still continued. I've updated my drivers as well. My system specs are:

MSI Z590 motherboard

Corsair RM750 PSU.

I'm not sure how to fix this problem now, since this is my first build and I'm not sure what to do. Should I reach out to Corsair for a replacement? Or is this more likely a GPU problem?

Sounds like you didn't uninstall old drivers from your last GPU. Run DDU in safemode and come back here to tell us what happened. Cheers.

8 hours ago, c00face said:

Sounds like you didn't uninstall old drivers from your last GPU. Run DDU in safemode and come back here to tell us what happened. Cheers.

I didn't have a GPU before - I was using my integrated graphics until I got this one, but I'll try uninstalling the old drivers anyways as well.

8 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Well, you can start by removing your GPU and run your PC from the motherboard display out

Then run stress tests, see if that affects anything

I'll try that and update this post if it works or not.

Here’s a couple things you could try real quick before running the stress tests. Turn your power up to 100% in the EVGA Precision software and increase your fan speeds. Try to run your fans in manual at 85% or higher and then play one of your demanding games. Let’s see if this reboots your PC. 

This is a quick test to see if your GPU is overheating or not. Sometimes fan curves need to be adjusted to keep your GPU cool.

And another thing, I just want to make sure that your monitor is plugged into the back of graphics card and not the motherboard. You would be surprised by how many first timers make that mistake.