PC used for Blender 3d

Jonilo5

Budget (including currency): 17000 SEK (around 1740 USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender 3d - rendering and video editing. Also gaming on weekends (probably not the most performance-heavy games)

Planned pcpartpicker v2: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jonilo5/saved/NDp3wP

Finally planning to build a pc after the past two years.
I appreciate feedback and tips.

Hopefully this planned build doesn't have major bottlenecks.

Make it cl16 memory for that extra bit of cpu performance for a minimal cost difference normally

Change case to p300a. The normal p300 has poor airflow due to the obstructed front.

Add a simple cpu cooler like a vetroo v5 (it's about 30$)

For rendering and video editing you actually do want a faster ssd so a 970evo plus would be a far better drive than the 870 evo for a similar price

Not sure about pricing but usually the b550 pro a can be found for less and is an equally good board

Otherwise the core parts are great. You focused on the gpu here as I assume that will be the main rendering device? It's what I would do too for blender 3d rendering.

10 minutes ago, Jonilo5 said:

Hopefully this planned build doesn't have bottlenecks.

every computer that exists regardless of time period or cost has bottlenecks

For a GPU go through EVGA and get a 3080 for about $40 more.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

57 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Make it cl16 memory for that extra bit of cpu performance for a minimal cost difference normally

Change case to p300a. The normal p300 has poor airflow due to the obstructed front.

Add a simple cpu cooler like a vetroo v5 (it's about 30$)

For rendering and video editing you actually do want a faster ssd so a 970evo plus would be a far better drive than the 870 evo for a similar price

Not sure about pricing but usually the b550 pro a can be found for less and is an equally good board

Otherwise the core parts are great. You focused on the gpu here as I assume that will be the main rendering device? It's what I would do too for blender 3d rendering.

Thank you for the feedback. 😃 Changed the case, RAM storage. Only thing left is the motherboard and CPU cooler. 
Could you specify the motherboard? 
I could not find that kind of cooler in Sweden, but was thinking that the stock cooler could be okay nowadays? 🤔 I might be wrong about the stock cooler.
Otherwise maybe a Noctua could be good?

Just now, Jonilo5 said:

Thank you for the feedback. 😃 Changed the case, RAM storage. Only thing left is the motherboard and CPU cooler. 
Could you specify the motherboard? 
I could not find that kind of cooler in Sweden, but was thinking that the stock cooler could be okay nowadays? 🤔 I might be wrong about the stock cooler.
Otherwise maybe a Noctua could be good?

Stock is ok but it's not really quiet.

Depends on what cooler it is if it's good enough.

Board is a msi b550 pro a.

10 minutes ago, jones177 said:

For a GPU go through EVGA and get a 3080 for about $40 more.

But in Sweden it's currently like 3070ti (on sale) is about $890 and 3080 is about $1260.
And through EVGAs website it's out-of-stock 😞

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Stock is ok but it's not really quiet.

Depends on what cooler it is if it's good enough.

Board is a msi b550 pro a.

There might be an issue with MSI B550-A PRO. Got a warning on pcpartpicker about the motherboard. "Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." and I don't have a compatible CPU for that 😬

2 hours ago, Jonilo5 said:

But in Sweden it's currently like 3070ti (on sale) is about $890 and 3080 is about $1260.

There might be an issue with MSI B550-A PRO. Got a warning on pcpartpicker about the motherboard. "Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." and I don't have a compatible CPU for that 😬

B550-A Pro has the Flash BIOS feature. BIOS can be updated using a thumb drive and no working cpu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

16 hours ago, Jonilo5 said:

The board can flash the bios without a cpu if it is needed but by now that should not be needed.

You will need case fans too in p300a if you have a 3070ti in it. It only comes with the exhaust so add two 120mm fans like Arctic p12.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  (kr2347.48 @ Amazon Sweden)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (kr295.25 @ Amazon Sweden)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (kr967.08 @ Amazon Sweden)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (kr1406.93 @ Amazon Sweden)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr1346.00 @ Webhallen)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  (kr8990.00 @ Amazon Sweden)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case  (kr951.01 @ Amazon Sweden)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (kr869.18 @ Amazon Sweden)
Total: kr17172.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-17 18:51 CEST+0200

Sorry for a late reply to the post. Update: I've decided to pick the 4000D Airflow case instead, I like how it looks. But split on what case fans I should add. Maybe 3x Arctic Cooling P12 A-RGB PWM PST?

One question I have is if the cpu 5 5600x is a good choice or 5 5600g might be better, because it has integrated graphics and is newer? 🤔

For the RAM I'm thinking about going down to 3200MHz instead, but I don't know how much that affects the performance. Didn't find the same ones within the budget in Sweden.

On 4/17/2022 at 1:35 AM, brob said:

B550-A Pro has the Flash BIOS feature. BIOS can be updated using a thumb drive and no working cpu.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:22 PM, jaslion said:

The board can flash the bios without a cpu if it is needed but by now that should not be needed.

Thank you, that's relieving to hear 🙂

On 4/17/2022 at 6:52 PM, Jeppes said:

You will need case fans too in p300a if you have a 3070ti in it. It only comes with the exhaust so add two 120mm fans like Arctic p12.

PCPartPicker Part List

I took inspiration from your list 🙂

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MxcNcb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 62 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST A-RGB 0dB 48.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-20 16:47 EDT-0400

I wanted to add some information. I know that the Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti isn't the best cost-effective card, but I wanted to try to be within the budget as much as I could. Seems that adding case fans and the cpu fan forces me to go beyond my budget.

I've already orded the Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti so that it doesn't go out-of-stock (as the other GPUs I put my eye on. Two days after I ordered the product expired on the retailers website. So it got me kinda concerned since there were 16 still in stock when I looked last time. Is Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti a solid choice?

16 minutes ago, Jonilo5 said:

Sorry for a late reply to the post. Update: I've decided to pick the 4000D Airflow case instead, I like how it looks. But split on what case fans I should add. Maybe 3x Arctic Cooling P12 A-RGB PWM PST?

One question I have is if the cpu 5 5600x is a good choice or 5 5600g might be better, because it has integrated graphics and is newer? 🤔

For the RAM I'm thinking about going down to 3200MHz instead, but I don't know how much that affects the performance. Didn't find the same ones within the budget in Sweden.

Thank you, that's relieving to hear 🙂

Sure go for it those fans are great.

The build you made at the end is great and you should go for it.

10 minutes ago, Jonilo5 said:

For the RAM I'm thinking about going down to 3200MHz instead, but I don't know how much that affects the performance. Didn't find the same ones within the budget in Sweden

Why add any fans, I believe the 4000D comes with 3 decent stock fans. More than enough for the build. Put the savings into memory and/or cooler.

5600X has better performance than the 5600G. It makes more sense.

DDR4-3200 CL16 has similar performance to DDR4-3600 CL18. 

Is there a reason why you are not using se.pcpartpicker.com?

On 4/20/2022 at 11:04 PM, brob said:

Why add any fans, I believe the 4000D comes with 3 decent stock fans. More than enough for the build. Put the savings into memory and/or cooler.

5600X has better performance than the 5600G. It makes more sense.

DDR4-3200 CL16 has similar performance to DDR4-3600 CL18. 

Is there a reason why you are not using se.pcpartpicker.com?

The retailers here only includes two 120mm fans with 4000D Airflow. Might need to add 1 or 2 maybe? 🙂
For the cooler I decided to had Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2, just need to buy some thermal paste too.
The RAM are tricky to balance with the price, but will try to find DDR4-3600 CL16.

Just out of odd habit I'm not using se.pcpartpicker.com 😅

2 minutes ago, Jonilo5 said:

The retailers here only includes two 120mm fans with 4000D Airflow. Might need to add 1 or 2 maybe? 🙂
For the cooler I decided to had Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2, just need to buy some thermal paste too.
The RAM are tricky to balance with the price, but will try to find DDR4-3600 CL16.

Just out of odd habit I'm not using se.pcpartpicker.com 😅

Yes, 3 fans would be good.

A new cpu cooler comes with a tube or pre-applied thermal paste.

It likely not worth going over budget to get slightly better performing memory.

4 minutes ago, brob said:

Yes, 3 fans would be good.

A new cpu cooler comes with a tube or pre-applied thermal paste.

It likely not worth going over budget to get slightly better performing memory.

Ah, great! 😄
Then I think I'm going with Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 to kinda stay within the budget