Thunderbolt 4 USB Type-C Switch

HenriFrancais

KVM switches have long since been a major pain in my life. Expensive, oftentimes unreliable and SO. MANY. CABLES.

Thunderbolt 4 USB Type-C offers the capability to have display, peripherals and networking via a single cable and many such devices are currently available on the market. A revelation to me when I first started using the standard.

I have yet to find a thunderbolt 4 KVM, but more surprisingly to me, I couldn't even find a thunderbolt 4 switch. Something with two inputs and a single output and an ability to swap between the two. The output of this device could then run through any of the existing thunderbolt docks that exist to provide access to peripherals and displays etc.

The closest product I have been able to find on the market is: http://www.cabledeconn.com/CableDeconn-USB-C-Type-C-8K-Switch-USB-31-C-Gen-2-Cable-for-Video-Bi-Direction-8K30Hz-4K120Hz-Power-Delivery-100w-10Gbps-Data-Transfer-Splitter-Converter-A0206_show55.html

Why doesn't a thunderbolt 4 switch exist yet? Surely with the rise in working from home over the pandemic there are more and more people with a home computer and a work laptop needing a solution to share peripherals and displays that works with a modern ecosystem.

Because there is not reason to. Thunderbolt 3 already has more than enough data throughput for basically anything anyone needs so there is no reason to go for a more expensive chip in the docks for thunderbolt 4 speed as there is no need for it.

51 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Because there is not reason to. Thunderbolt 3 already has more than enough data throughput for basically anything anyone needs so there is no reason to go for a more expensive chip in the docks for thunderbolt 4 speed as there is no need for it.

There's no difference in data throughput between the two (in theory), the major difference is Thunderbolt 4 guarantees certain minimum capabilities that are optional on TB3. https://plugable.com/blogs/news/what-s-the-difference-between-thunderbolt-3-thunderbolt-4-and-usb4

So its perfectly possible that a TB3 dock actually supports identical functionality to TB4.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a dock here, there exist plenty of both Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 offerings for docks. The big difference between the two, despite their identical bandwidth (minus the differences in PCIe throughput) is the guarantee that TB4 supports dual 4k displays (some TB3 may also allow dual 4K video, depending on feature support, as I understand it). 

In any case, what I'm discussing is a switch for multi-input solutions (typical use-case being having a personal desktop and work laptop, but wanting to easily take advantage of the same peripherals/displays on both without having to change cables or manually select inputs on monitors). Traditional KVMs have specific inputs/outputs for data/video for each device in the system, but TB3/4 offer all of those through a single cable solution, potentially making KVMs as "simple" as a single TB3/4 output and some TB3/4 inputs for each device.

The highest specification one I have found I linked, which support USB 3.1 Gen 2 i.e. 10Gbps throughput. But is not suitable for my use case with the bandwidth I need.

If you know of any TB3/TB4 solution to this problem, I would love to see it!

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive an older thread, but did you ever find a suitable switch?  I have the exact same need.  I have a thunderbolt docking station connected to all my  monitors, keyboard, mouse and headphone, and I would like to use it with both my work and personal laptop without having to unplug the cable from one and put it into the other.  A simple switch to allow me to toggle between each laptop so each one could use the same docking station would be amazing. I don't need a KVM, my docking station already has everything hooked to it.  I  just need a switch.

Edited by BCSBuck
added more info

That makes three of us. I'd like to have a desktop and one of two laptops, all going into a GPU+screens and peripherials. I've already got the Core X as a dock, I just don't want to need to constantly unplug one and the other. Just keep all powered trough thunderbolt and switch beween them with the switch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 6:30 PM, HenriFrancais said:

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a dock here, there exist plenty of both Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 offerings for docks. The big difference between the two, despite their identical bandwidth (minus the differences in PCIe throughput) is the guarantee that TB4 supports dual 4k displays (some TB3 may also allow dual 4K video, depending on feature support, as I understand it). 

In any case, what I'm discussing is a switch for multi-input solutions (typical use-case being having a personal desktop and work laptop, but wanting to easily take advantage of the same peripherals/displays on both without having to change cables or manually select inputs on monitors). Traditional KVMs have specific inputs/outputs for data/video for each device in the system, but TB3/4 offer all of those through a single cable solution, potentially making KVMs as "simple" as a single TB3/4 output and some TB3/4 inputs for each device.

The highest specification one I have found I linked, which support USB 3.1 Gen 2 i.e. 10Gbps throughput. But is not suitable for my use case with the bandwidth I need.

If you know of any TB3/TB4 solution to this problem, I would love to see it!

On 7/31/2022 at 1:56 AM, BCSBuck said:

Sorry to revive an older thread, but did you ever find a suitable switch?  I have the exact same need.  I have a thunderbolt docking station connected to all my  monitors, keyboard, mouse and headphone, and I would like to use it with both my work and personal laptop without having to unplug the cable from one and put it into the other.  A simple switch to allow me to toggle between each laptop so each one could use the same docking station would be amazing. I don't need a KVM, my docking station already has everything hooked to it.  I  just need a switch.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:33 AM, leonardosegurat said:

That makes three of us. I'd like to have a desktop and one of two laptops, all going into a GPU+screens and peripherials. I've already got the Core X as a dock, I just don't want to need to constantly unplug one and the other. Just keep all powered trough thunderbolt and switch beween them with the switch.

https://i-tec.pro/en/produkt/c31dualkvmdockpd-2/ --> would this suit your needs?

• 1 month later...

I'm with BCSBuck.  I need something with > USBC (10Gbps) throughput, so I need TB3/TB4.  And I want a switch, not a hub.

Here's my use case so you can understand better.

I have an Apple Studio Display.  It's 5k@60Hz and needs TB3+ from your computer.  It DOES NOT WORK with USBC.

It also has built-in peripherals - 3 USBC ports, a 12MP camera, speakers, and a microphone.  With TB3+, I don't need a dock, because the monitor IS the dock.

However, I want to share it between two computers (home 2022 Mac Pro laptop and work 2020 Mac Pro laptop), and the display only has one input.

So I really need a TB3 or TB4 *switch*.

If anyone hears about one being launched, please reply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 3:56 PM, efitz said:

I'm with BCSBuck.  I need something with > USBC (10Gbps) throughput, so I need TB3/TB4.  And I want a switch, not a hub.

Here's my use case so you can understand better.

I have an Apple Studio Display.  It's 5k@60Hz and needs TB3+ from your computer.  It DOES NOT WORK with USBC.

It also has built-in peripherals - 3 USBC ports, a 12MP camera, speakers, and a microphone.  With TB3+, I don't need a dock, because the monitor IS the dock.

However, I want to share it between two computers (home 2022 Mac Pro laptop and work 2020 Mac Pro laptop), and the display only has one input.

So I really need a TB3 or TB4 *switch*.

If anyone hears about one being launched, please reply.

Is this something that would work? This is on amazon: 8K USB C KVM Switch Selector, 4K USB C Switch for 2 Computers Share 1 Monitor Keyboard Printer and Mouse, Supports 4K@120Hz, 8K@30Hz Video Compatible with Thunderbolt 3/4, 3 KVM Cables Included https://a.co/d/acAj3La 

Thank god I'm not the only one, exact same thing. I've got a Laptop and a PC, and also a Caldigit TS4 docking station. I'd like to switch between the 2 machines via a switch, I had such a solution before with USB3. Did anybody find a solution?

On 8/8/2022 at 7:07 AM, pranaynaiduveera said:

https://i-tec.pro/en/produkt/c31dualkvmdockpd-2/ - Would this suit your needs?

It's looking really close for my needs, but I think that despite their use of the word "thunderbolt" it's just a USB-C switch. as I use an M1 Max MacBook Pro, I need something that uses thunderbolt for multiple monitors as the apple silicon Macs don't support multiple monitors over just USB-C. I'd also really love to see a remote so that this hive of wires can be hidden away :)

I've currently got a Lenovo USB-C dock and I have to plug in a second monitor separately. I'd love a 2 device (or even 4 device), 2 monitor (2x4k60hz) thunderbolt 4 dock tat works really nicely and reliably with modern MacBooks.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:50 PM, BlueEyeButterfly said:

Is this something that would work? This is on amazon: 8K USB C KVM Switch Selector, 4K USB C Switch for 2 Computers Share 1 Monitor Keyboard Printer and Mouse, Supports 4K@120Hz, 8K@30Hz Video Compatible with Thunderbolt 3/4, 3 KVM Cables Included https://a.co/d/acAj3La 

he said he needs a thunderbolt switch and that a USB-C switch won't work, so I don't think this would work alas.

• 2 months later...

This would be awesome to finally have.  I have had to resort to a USB hub, USB switch, dual display HDMI/DisplayPort KVM, DisplayPort to USB-C cable, and a Thunderbolt hub to deal with my setup.   It is surprising that these haven't hit the market fully yet.  We can't be the only people that could use a TB4 kvm.  

Every couple weeks I go looking for a Thunderbolt 4 switch. Nothing yet, and so I must perform the industry’s most robust USB Type C connector service lifespan testing program in my home office. So far, the connector on my Apple Studio Display still functions properly after 674 insertions.

Yet another instance of "Thank God, I'm not alone with this issue" 😅

@gwestbro The SSI switch looks like something that would alleviate the mechanical tear and wear of switching by hand. It still strikes me as odd that no end user product seems to be available ... if the economy wouldn't look like it's about to tank more, I'd part with the money and desktop real estate to get a second Apple Studio display just to not have to fiddle switching between Macs.

+1 for me as well - same problem, Apple Studio Display that I'm exhausted manually switching the USB-C cable between two computers... 🤞 for a solution soon!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, gwestbro said:

I believe this is what we are all looking for:  https://www.ssi.com.tw/product/kvm-switch/tbt4-kvm-dock
Unfortunately, this is an OEM company looking for another company to purchase and brand them. They do not sell to the public.

Ohh.... Can Linus Tech Tip contact them and start making one with LTT's branding? @LinusTech :)

Been searching multiple times for a similar thing, but think I can get by on Thunderbolt 3 (even though TB4 would be nice). I have a M1 Mac Mini, laptop, and now a tower.

Just got the tower and awaiting some cables. To date, just manually connecting my TB3 dock between computer and mac mini, with and HDMI switch to choose mini/dock/pi.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:21 AM, awpeter said:

Thank god I'm not the only one, exact same thing. I've got a Laptop and a PC, and also a Caldigit TS4 docking station. I'd like to switch between the 2 machines via a switch, I had such a solution before with USB3. Did anybody find a solution?

What did you use with USB3? Was it TB3?

On 12/21/2022 at 11:14 PM, gwestbro said:

I believe this is what we are all looking for:  https://www.ssi.com.tw/product/kvm-switch/tbt4-kvm-dock
Unfortunately, this is an OEM company looking for another company to purchase and brand them. They do not sell to the public.

Any idea on quantity and pricing? Feel there has to be a market for at least some people for this...

Found this and add a f/f adapter USB3. Mixed statements if it works with a dock... I might gamble if I only had 2 devices, but want at least 3...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like it's time to revive this thread again. Let me present you with two upcoming options:

https://sabrent.com/products/sb-tb4k - a new thunderbolt kvm from sabrent (yay!).

https://www.startech.com/en-us/universal-laptop-docking-stations/129n-usbc-kvm-dock - a less appealing (to me) 10gbps usb-c dock from startech.

Neither of these are available yet. Startech says July for their kvm. I reached out to Sabrent via twitter and haven't heard back. I'll be buying the sabrent one as soon as I can get my hands on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 8:41 AM, burlimonster said:

Looks like it's time to revive this thread again. Let me present you with two upcoming options:

https://sabrent.com/products/sb-tb4k - a new thunderbolt kvm from sabrent (yay!).

https://www.startech.com/en-us/universal-laptop-docking-stations/129n-usbc-kvm-dock - a less appealing (to me) 10gbps usb-c dock from startech.

Neither of these are available yet. Startech says July for their kvm. I reached out to Sabrent via twitter and haven't heard back. I'll be buying the sabrent one as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Looks like the Sabrent one is OEM from https://www.ssi.com.tw/product/kvm-switch/tbt4-kvm-dock

Anyway looking forward to it

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine the market for such a thing isn't at least as big as the one for hubs.

I've been stuck unplugging and plugging in between my gaming rig and workstation on my thunderbolt hub forever and it kills me. 

The Sabrent looks promising?  Could i just plug my Hub into this? Only supports 60w charging?  

All I need is 2 Thunderbolt in and 1 Thunderbolt out...i already have a much more capable hub....$300 is steep for what feels limited but maybe worth a try

Square1_89780b96-cf36-4984-9834-9359ce0b53c3_5000x.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ím also looking like crazy for this kind of solution, so I guess that makes like 5 of us. I also looked at the Sabrent one but I red a few reviews of it damaging boards. I asked Sabrent about this and they said it can cause damage on non TB4 certified devices. They gave no more details. I think it is not worth it. which is sad. When I asked if I can connect a USB3 type C device, they did not say no, but repeat the same line. Even in the Sabrent page they added a warning.

Still looking for a simple switch for thunderbolt 4 connections.