Thunderbolt 4 USB Type-C Switch

HenriFrancais

I bought the Sabrent product directly from https://sabrent.com/products/sb-tb4k. I have a few hours experience using it. It works just fine to toggle between a Mac Studio and a MacBook Pro sharing an Apple Studio Display. No resolution restrictions. Audio playing through the Apple Studio Display speakers functions. The camera and microphone on the Apple Studio Display work no less well when connected through the KVM.

I was kinda hoping that the amount of time it takes for the Apple Studio Display to negotiate the connection and show some pixels would be lessened with the KVM vs. yanking the cables, but it still takes about 12 seconds to get an image on the screen. And then another 10 seconds for the Touch ID function on the Apple Keyboard to become active. I can live with this another year.

Yes, I'm also looking for a simple Thunderbolt 4 switch to work alongside my Anker 777 docking station. I run two HDMI 2.0 monitors which can run up to 144hz but at present, (777 limitations) I have them running at 60hz as they drop out being any higher. I want to switch the T4 cable between my desktop PC and my work laptop only.

If something came up to replace my 777, which had all the input/outputs I wanted and including a KVM switching the T4, I'd probably opt for a new device and sell the 777 as it's still a desirable product.  The previously mentioned docking stations are similar in spec's but something is always missing or there isn't enough pass-through charging, missing ethernet ports or 1 HDMI/DisplayPort so it defeats the object of one cable switching, one cable to do all etc.

Hoping there is a solution soon................

• 4 weeks later...

Such a relief to know that I’m not the only one struggling to find a solution to this. My use case is a little different and I’m curious if anyone has any other ideas. As a software contractor  I tend to get issues laptops from the different companies I do work for. I’m already at three laptops. I find myself want something that looks more like a charging station at an Airbnb [see picture] than a traditional KVM.

I’m curious if anyone has ideas for alternative solutions I could be looking into. A headless solution using RDP or VNC? An iKVM or eKVM? A bunch of docks and a traditional KVM? Could I get away with a usb-c KVM? Would I be better off just quitting my job and going to work for a company that is developing TB kvms? Thanks for any support in advance. 

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2023 at 9:55 PM, Joseph Lamoree said:

I bought the Sabrent product directly from https://sabrent.com/products/sb-tb4k. I have a few hours experience using it. It works just fine to toggle between a Mac Studio and a MacBook Pro sharing an Apple Studio Display. No resolution restrictions. Audio playing through the Apple Studio Display speakers functions. The camera and microphone on the Apple Studio Display work no less well when connected through the KVM.

I was kinda hoping that the amount of time it takes for the Apple Studio Display to negotiate the connection and show some pixels would be lessened with the KVM vs. yanking the cables, but it still takes about 12 seconds to get an image on the screen. And then another 10 seconds for the Touch ID function on the Apple Keyboard to become active. I can live with this another year.

Please could you describe how you’re connecting the Apple Keyboard? Is it over Bluetooth? I’m thinking of a very similar set-up so would love to know your experience