Finding replacement CRT flyback

da na

Been wondering why my Trinitron Ultrascan 15 has been making crackling/popping noises for a while (occasionally distorting the picture while it happens). Accidentally came across a Reddit post this morning by someone with a similar Multiscan monitor, said it crackled, popped, then released the magic smoke that draws the pixels eventually (and all the replies say it's flyback related). 

I would like to replace mine before anything gets worse. I don't have extensive experience with CRT repair in particular but I've worked on 90s home electronics and a couple smaller, much less advanced CRTs. Seen some YT videos on replacing flybacks and that seems like quite a lot of pins to desolder.

Do you recommend I try and find another flyback (they can get over $100 for the better ones) or sell it for not too expensive to someone who can repair it? Could also recycle it or sell for scrap but I'd rather not, the tube is in pretty good shape and doesn't show many signs of degradation although it is likely rather high hour. (Oh I might want to mention - it also has a strange problem where it'll stop displaying red, only green and blue work, when the cable is at a certain angle but I'd assume that's more a problem with the permanently attached VGA cable, the red gun works fine otherwise)

And if I do want to replace it myself where should I look for a flyback? Just ebay? Maybe look in the service manual for part numbers? Monitor model is D1526TX-HS, of the UltraScan 15TX series. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

CRTs hold high voltages in them for a long time after being switched off. They aren't DIY friendly, they are properly dangerous when you open them up, and it really should be left to someone who knows what they are doing.

36 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

CRTs hold high voltages in them for a long time after being switched off. They aren't DIY friendly, they are properly dangerous when you open them up, and it really should be left to someone who knows what they are doing.

I’m aware of that and I can properly discharge it, my main question was finding a replacement transformer.