NetLimiter shows my VPN using the same DL rate as my torrent program. Is this doubling my downloads, and how can I fix this?

Dr_Dreem
Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

It's not doubling your traffic and you don't need to fix anything.

NetLimiter is seeing your traffic twice because of how VPNs work. The VPN creates an internal network that your other programs access, then the VPN sends that traffic on to the VPN company's endpoints through your direct internet connection. NetLimiter tracks both of those steps independently, which is why it seems like your network traffic is doubled.

Hi guys.

The title basically explains my issue. Should also mention that if I limit the bandwidth used by my VPN, this reduces the available bandwidth for the torrent program, so doesn't fix the issue.

Apologies for the possibly very noob question.

Thanks

If your torrent program is running inside your vpn’s tunnel (Which it should be doing) it might just mean that you aren’t interacting with the net in any other way.  If the torrent program is NOT doing so you should fix that or stop torrenting.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's not doubling your traffic and you don't need to fix anything.

NetLimiter is seeing your traffic twice because of how VPNs work. The VPN creates an internal network that your other programs access, then the VPN sends that traffic on to the VPN company's endpoints through your direct internet connection. NetLimiter tracks both of those steps independently, which is why it seems like your network traffic is doubled.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11