Limit drives per windows 10 install

Maslofski
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

In each Windows install, remove the drive letter assignment for the other install's drive or partition in Disk Management.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-drive-letter

Ive tried googling it, but it just spams me with dual boot stuff, which isnt what i want.

Im going to use my pc for work, so my plan was to get another drive and windows key to just boot into the one i need at that time.

I dont want my "work pc" to use/see more than its one drive, nor the "gaming pc" to see the new drive. Would that be possible?

The way I see it I would still have all drives show up on both windows installs, which would defeat the purpose of keeping them separate.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Technically, what you're talking about would best be solved with dual boot, but what you're talking about is still a dual boot of sorts. A simple solution might be to create a bootable USB for your work stuff, and simply do it that way, putting your USB as the first device in boot order. I would recommend a USB extender cable if you do that, this will reduce wear and tear on your USB ports.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

You could just install your work Windows in a virtual machine. Give it lots of RAM and a few CPU cores and it would be fine, practically transparent. 

See VirtualBox, VMWare, other virtual machine solutions... you can run them from Windows easily, no need for Linux.

You MAY be able to do a hardware solution through BIOS presets / templates if your motherboard allows something like that. So basically you could go in BIOS and disable certain SATA ports (where the hard drives you don't want Windows to see would be) and save a template/profile with these settings. 

Then when you turn on the PC, you would have to press a key to select the bios profile to be used or something like that. 

But just disabling the hard drives you don't want to be seen through device manager should work just as well. 

NOTE though it could be a licensing issue, if you're thinking of doing this for licenses. For example, a software could collect data from computer and use the serial numbers of hard drives to build a unique key for your system and based on that key, you'd get a serial number. If you don't want that software's licensing scheme to include your other drive, then you would have to physically remove the drive or disable the SATA port, so that Windows won't see the drive at all. 

This is easily solved by running your work Windows in a virtual machine. 

thank you for all the tips, guys. 

a vm wont work as i need the full power.

Ill give it a try with the other suggestions once i get the new drive 🙂

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

One solution is to bitlocker-encrypt both drives, set to require a USB key to unlock, and have different USB keys to unlock each. Plug the key for the system you want to use.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

16 minutes ago, Maslofski said:

thank you for all the tips, guys. 

a vm wont work as i need the full power.

Ill give it a try with the other suggestions once i get the new drive 🙂

You can get pretty much 95%+ of the base machine raw power with a virtual machine.  Modern processors have virtualization and you can have pass through for video cards and other things.

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can get pretty much 95%+ of the base machine raw power with a virtual machine.  Modern processors have virtualization and you can have pass through for video cards and other things.

right, but the policies are against vms, so a better way to have expressed it wouldve been like this on my end