384/32 and/or 256DSD recording

Jo Mu

I’m going to create digital archives of some vinyl that isn’t available in a decent digital form for a variety of reasons.

192/24 is good and very portable, but since I’m sampling analog, I’d like to get the best representation of the analog signal I can.  Disk space is cheap so why not?

Please spare this topic from the Nyquist Groupies comments about whether it’s necessary.  I’m looking for the hardware to create this hi-res PCM or DSD.  I see a few available and wonder if anyone has any experience with these and if they have severe shortcomings like hi jitter, or just plain bad sound?

do you have specific hardware in mind that you're asking about? what is your full setup like? 

you're right, disk space is cheap, and i won't groan about what's "necessary" or not, but if the difference between 24/96, 24/192, and 32/384 matters to you, it's hard for anyone to help unless they know your exact setup. if you're looking for hardware that has any involvement in writing PCM or DSD, it's likely that you're looking for an AD/DA converter. in terms of jitter, prism audio has stuff that's kinda unparalleled. hyper transparent, and a really stable clock with great clock adjustment, but i dont remember if their equipment supports >192kHz. rme is another company to take a look at, i've heard people talk about the adi-2 pro fs r be. as im sure you're aware, the connections you use will also be important. spdif, for example, isn't high bandwidth enough for greater than DSD64. 

when looking to record at this speed, reliable clocks are really important for every module in your signal chain. use the worst clock in your signal chain as the master clock. if everything else is better, then it should also be able to adjust for the unstable clocking that's being fed. that's one of the best ways to avoid jitter. it's not an end all, be all, but if you're buying a piece of hardware that is capable of this high speed recording, it's likely going to be pretty expensive, and if it's going to be expensive, it probably won't have a bad sound, or at the very least, it is likely that it will have a very transparent sound. 

also as a small thing, you have your nomenclature backwards. convention is: bit depth/sample rate, or DSDmultiplier

tl;dr - there's a very large possibility i haven't effectively answered your question, so apologies in advance if that's the case. just let me know and i'll be happy to be more specific. idr if prism has an ad/da converter that supports >192kHz, but i am certain rme does. if that's the component that you feel you're missing, then i think rme is a great place to start. 

Most vinyl has a bandwidth of about 18kHz. Fresh, quality-pressed vinyl also has a dynamic range of about 70dB, which equates to roughly 12 bits. Thereby, there's scientifically no point in archiving above 44.1/16 unless you're using an insane amount of post-processing, in which case 24 bits might suffice.

This is an unpopular opinion (despite being accurate) but people who store lossy formats like vinyl in high sample rate / high bit-depth lossless digital containers are a bit goofy.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways