Help with storage

So, I needed help to figure what I should do with storage in my build. Currently I have chosen a TEAM MP33 256GB SSD and a WD Blue Caviar 1TB HDD, 38.99 CAD for the former, 51.99 for the latter. 

I wanted to know if storing the majority of my games on the HDD will have any performance issues. 

Also should I instead go with a 512gb SSD for now and upgrade later?.

Planning to use the system for gaming (like games from 2010s till now), emulation and unity.

1 TB SSD for the OS drive is nice whether SATA or NVMe m.2 flavor. Try Samsung Evo Plus or WD Blue SSDs.

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

5 hours ago, BlackDragon1971 said:

1 TB SSD for the OS drive is nice whether SATA or NVMe m.2 flavor. Try Samsung Evo Plus or WD Blue SSDs.

They are really expensive here and goes over my budget, I am thinking about getting a Samsung Evo Plus 970 500gb for now or a ADATA Swordfish 500gb and upgrade later.

37 minutes ago, Fische said:

They are really expensive here and goes over my budget, I am thinking about getting a Samsung Evo Plus 970 500gb for now or a ADATA Swordfish 500gb and upgrade later.

How about samsung 980 (non pros) or wd sn570?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 hour ago, Ryan829 said:

How about samsung 980 (non pros) or wd sn570?

I wanted to get something with a DRAM cache because apparently they last much longer and don’t get slowdowns, do the SSDs that you recommended not get this issue?

12 minutes ago, Fische said:

I wanted to get something with a DRAM cache because apparently they last much longer and don’t get slowdowns, do the SSDs that you recommended not get this issue?

Neither have the DRAM cache but both have 5 year warranties and endurance ratings you likely won't get through in your whole life. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

34 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

Neither have the DRAM cache but both have 5 year warranties and endurance ratings you likely won't get through in your whole life. 

But the 980 is 74 CAD and the 970 evo plus is 79. The 570 is 64.99 meanwhile. Which would be better?

On 4/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, Fische said:

I wanted to know if storing the majority of my games on the HDD will have any performance issues. 

For this question you should be fine however if its not a 7200 RPM it is going to be slow which at best will lead to longer load times and I can imagine in some open world titles like Fallout or maybe GTA that it could cause stuttering if you move too quickly from one area to another.

In my experience 7200 RPM HDD's are a nice sweet spot for performance with far better storage space per a dollar. If you need more speed or lower power consumption or lower physical profile storage then you should be looking at a SSD anyway but at the higher costs that come with it.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."