PC is on 24X7- is AIO pump Ok?

I am at a crossroads on my build. My AIO does not fit.

Corsair 4000D case

ASUS TUF Gaming MB

T-Force Delta RGB ram (2 stick)

Artic Freezer 280mm AIO

The AIO does not fit in the top, the MB heat sinks interfere and basically no ram will fit under the fans.

So now I'm considering swapping the AIO for a Noctua NH-D15

Something has to go back. Should I replace the case with a Corsair 5000D? or Replace the AIO with the Noctua NH-D15?

I never shut my PC off, should that weigh in on the decision? can an AIO pump run 24X7 without issue over the long run?

Swap the case unless you wanna cover your rgb rams under a fan, or you can get a smaller tower like scythe fume 2/mugen 5

If downtime is not acceptable under any circumstances go with the d15. Even if the fans die the d15 will still provide cooling, when an aio pump dies you need a new cooler, it doesn't happen often, but it's a bummer when it does.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Are these cases you are looking at the airflow models with mesh fronts or the solid fronts?

I run my rigs 24/7 for 5-10 years so I trend towards air cooling so if fan issues do crop up I still have some form of cooling. but AIO's have gotten better over the years so if you are at least willing to occasionally check to make sure your pump is running and your temps are inline then then I don't see why you couldn't use a AIO for 24/7 service.

As for physically fitting everything a bigger case might help but I think the 5000D is still a mid tower case so its not that much bigger than the 4000D.

Switching to a D15 still could pose RAM fitting issues as it is with no doubt one big ass cooler but they have improved that issue over the years. It might even be easier to look for a RAM kit that has a shorter heat spreader design.

The last question to ask is what CPU are you using and do you even really need a AIO in the first place?

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

If you want something that chugs for as long as possible, just get the D15. AIOs aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but they do have more failure points than an air cooler. 

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

Even if the fans die the d15 will still provide cooling

Facts, I couldn't be arsed to find the brackets for my D15S fan (same cooler as the D15, just slightly offset for compatibility with some mobos) so I have it cooling a stock 5960X rn without one, the front case fans push enough air to keep the CPU well below max safe temps. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Hybris5112 said:

Are these cases you are looking at the airflow models with mesh fronts or the solid fronts?

I run my rigs 24/7 for 5-10 years so I trend towards air cooling so if fan issues do crop up I still have some form of cooling. but AIO's have gotten better over the years so if you are at least willing to occasionally check to make sure your pump is running and your temps are inline then then I don't see why you couldn't use a AIO for 24/7 service.

As for physically fitting everything a bigger case might help but I think the 5000D is still a mid tower case so its not that much bigger than the 4000D.

Switching to a D15 still could pose RAM fitting issues as it is with no doubt one big ass cooler but they have improved that issue over the years. It might even be easier to look for a RAM kit that has a shorter heat spreader design.

The last question to ask is what CPU are you using and do you even really need a AIO in the first place?

Thanks. I am using the air flow case.

The CPU is I7 12700K

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Swap the case unless you wanna cover your rgb rams under a fan, or you can get a smaller tower like scythe fume 2/mugen 5

True, even a big air cooler will block the ram

1 minute ago, Kelsey said:

Thanks. I am using the air flow case.

The CPU is I7 12700K

I would then lean towards going for a air cooler then. A D15 will of course easily keep up with that processor and with a high flowing case it should breathe easily enough. That is the simpler solution I can see here with the caveat that if your RAM hits then you might need a slightly smaller cooler or different memory.

Getting a new case to fit a AIO that isn't really needed and moving everything over feels like it would be just too much hassle for what you are gaining. 

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

1 hour ago, Hybris5112 said:

I would then lean towards going for a air cooler then. A D15 will of course easily keep up with that processor and with a high flowing case it should breathe easily enough. That is the simpler solution I can see here with the caveat that if your RAM hits then you might need a slightly smaller cooler or different memory.

Getting a new case to fit a AIO that isn't really needed and moving everything over feels like it would be just too much hassle for what you are gaining. 

I hear you. However, the PC is not at all built yet. Everything is sitting on the table. I placed the MB in the case and then tried fitting the AIO. So I am at the starting point.

Thanks for your thoughts. Makes sense.