Motherboard built in wifi slow at 2.4Ghz

samjp_

I just built a new computer with a ASRock B560M Pro4/ac motherboard. I bought it for the onboard wifi, but after running some speed tests, the speeds I’m getting on my 2.4Ghz network are less than half of what it should be. The 5Ghz bandwidth is as expected at 300Mbs, and doesn’t have issues, but I don’t know why I only get 45Mbps maximum in my 2.4Ghz network. I have a 5 year old pcie x1 802.11a/b/g/n that was giving 100Mbps.

It’s a fresh windows install, with all necessary drivers installed as well.

It's probably that the antenna for your old wifi adapter is just better than your new one (the ones that come with motherboards are very hit or miss in my experience). But why not just use the 5GHz band? It's overall faster so you shouldn't really need to worry about the 2.4GHz band. 

It's because the 3x2 of your old card is superior to the 2x2 you have in your motherboard.

I personally use a 4x4 card which is fricking amazing,can do 1Gb reliably on Wi-Fi.

1x1,2x1 and 2x2 cards will always be inferior to 3x2,3x3,4x3 and 4x4 cards.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

you could buy a wifi extender and a Ethernet cable  and run that to your pc just make sure to check if you internet is single band or dual band because you extender will not work if your wifi is dual band and you buy a single band extender i know this because i use an extender 

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

It's because the 3x2 of your old card is superior to the 2x2 you have in your motherboard.

I personally use a 4x4 card which is fricking amazing,can do 1Gb reliably on Wi-Fi.

1x1,2x1 and 2x2 cards will always be inferior to 3x2,3x3,4x3 and 4x4 cards.

Ah I see. I didn't realize that was the case with the card on the motherboard. I couldn't find anything online about the specs before I bought it, but that makes sense.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's probably that the antenna for your old wifi adapter is just better than your new one (the ones that come with motherboards are very hit or miss in my experience). But why not just use the 5GHz band? It's overall faster so you shouldn't really need to worry about the 2.4GHz band. 

Ya i definitely will use the 5Ghz, but I was just concerned that if there's a point where 5Ghz isn't available then my internet experience would be much worse.