Will my devices all get the max speed through a switch?

Nik schaad

Theoretically this would be the setup:

A switch with 5x1Gbit ports 1 occupied with the router through a cat 8 cable. If I were to plug the other 4 ports with devices, would they all get 1Gbit/s? Or end up divided into 1000 / 4 = 250Mbit/s for each device, lemme know please!

Not quite the same thing, but I can tell you that my 8-port USB riser (6 A, 2 C) is listed as 20GBps, with 10GBps per 3 A and 1C. And that 10GBps per quartet, as it were, is likely divided between those four ports, at least under heavy traffic. So I would say it would depend on whether all five ports were active at one time. If five are connected, with only one live, you'd probably get the full GBps. But if the other four are active also, they will take their pound of flesh based on their need for bandwidth. Just my $0.02, purely hypothetical.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

26 minutes ago, Nik schaad said:

Theoretically this would be the setup:

A switch with 5x1Gbit ports 1 occupied with the router through a cat 8 cable. If I were to plug the other 4 ports with devices, would they all get 1Gbit/s? Or end up divided into 1000 / 4 = 250Mbit/s for each device, lemme know please!

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do but it depends on the switch. First of all if it's only 1GBps you don't need cat8, that's just over kill. Secondly what sort of setup are you thinking of? By the sounds of it are you trying to get each device to have 1GBps back to the router? If that is the case then no as the router only has a 1GBps to the switch. Each device could then have 1GBps to the switch but if every device is in use at the same time then the speed to the router for each device is going to drop.