Is this noise normal for a new 16TB WD Red drive?

matrixmodulator

Is this noise normal for a new 16TB WD Red drive?

It's in a fractal computer case, i had to use the trays included with it and because this nas type drive is big 16tb the slots in the fractal trays aligns in a different way, the drive is a bit more far back on the tray, it's secure in place but it's not aligned with my other normal consumer WD blue or black drives.

At first it was rattling in the drive bay, it was really loud, so i replaced it and in the video i was testing the noise while i browse many folders and subfolders.

There is my fan noise and my mouse click noise then you hear the drive clicking almost each time i open a folder from this drive.

I had many WD drives but this is my first bigger 16TB and i never head that noise this much loud and often before.

Also if someone can suggest me a converter plate or something so that it fits better in the tray... usualy the drive is more centered but with this 16tb it's offseted on one side towards the bottom on the picture i attached.

I also had to put washers because the holes for the screws are less deep and it would'nt fit at all.

Thanks!!

image.png.c6d23aa74e203e73e34f955a1ad5a635.png

Seems like the rattling is more from the case/mounting, but yeah if it's a higher performance drive it'll be seeking more "aggressively" than usual desktop ones.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Seems like the rattling is more from the case/mounting, but yeah if it's a higher performance drive it'll be seeking more "aggressively" than usual desktop ones.

yeah probably, but then would it shorten the lifespan of the drive if it rattles like that in the drive bay? The drive tray is secure with the drive but the tray rattles in the drive bay, at least as i can understand it..

I wouldn't worry about it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

those fractal trays have the habit of having a bit of a rattle, they have a hole in the side to put a screw trough to help dampen that.

Perhaps some thin cloth or felt strips could "shim" the rattle out.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

In pretty much every case I've had in recent times I've found it's easiest to use double sided tape (the foam stuff, like molding or VHB tape) on the mounting rails, or the tray. The key is to only peel one side of the tape, so it's only stick to the rails. The foam will also act as a dampener. Stack it up if you need to. This will make things fit tighter, and prevent the vibrations, and rattles.

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

In pretty much every case I've had in recent times I've found it's easiest to use double sided tape (the foam stuff, like molding or VHB tape) on the mounting rails, or the tray. The key is to only peel one side of the tape, so it's only stick to the rails. The foam will also act as a dampener. Stack it up if you need to. This will make things fit tighter, and prevent the vibrations, and rattles.

Ah that's a nice tip! I will try that! thank you