HD560S proper setup + audio crackling issue

Neko Yumi

Hello everyone,

I have received my brand new SH HD560S and asus strix b550-f gaming (wifi) about a week ago and started having more questions than answers when i looked into my audio crackling issue

with my headphones connected via 6,5 mm to 3,5 mm adapted jacks on the rear green headphone jack on the motherboard, i installed the latest audio drivers from the ASUS website as windows ( store ) also installed the realtek audio console

they are currently reported as "speakers" with the correct impedance ( 120 ohms ) and set to "EXTREME" amplify level by default. No issues occured with this setup until now.

The current issue is noticable audio crackling whenever audio comes in or i pause it in case of a "FLAC" audio file or someone stops talking on discord.

One way to fix this issue is to turn on the pc as usual and then.. restart it. Yes as crazy as it sounds it sometimes fixes it. 

So how do i fix this issue for good? I have heard external audio amp/dacs are a good way to bypass all these confusing realtek... tech ( HD sonata pro being the most recommanded to me ) 

Should i try fixing my headphones misreporting as speakers? Should i even uninstall the audio console and sonic suite of apps?

I really need some guidance here to see how to properly setup all this in software please !

I'm not entirely sure on the solution.  The only time I have experienced crackling was on a samsung galaxy S7 powering a pair of blue microphones lola.  Which is a low impedance headphone so it should have been fine.

As for the "speakers" denotation I wouldn't imagine it means much considering it knows the impedance, but all thing's considered look into that first?

As to the external recommendations, I have found that my X570 board with a top notch audio solution is marginally worse than a much more expensive external solution.  However I am spoiled with my experiences and couldn't bear to go onboard again.

What are your audio plans?  Is this your end game or are you going to make audio a sub-hobby?

If endgame I would suggest a schiit fulla.  It would be the cheapest way to get a dac and amp into your chain while being quality and driving your headphones.  If you want to go up in the food chain I'd start looking into a schiit stack or the many other options at $200+.

All of this said, it could be simply a cable problem.but honestly that's a guess.  On paper a 120 ohm headphone with any onboard audio should be acceptable. It could even be your adapter which would be the cheapest solution to your problem.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

6 hours ago, Psittac said:

I'm not entirely sure on the solution.  The only time I have experienced crackling was on a samsung galaxy S7 powering a pair of blue microphones lola.  Which is a low impedance headphone so it should have been fine.

As for the "speakers" denotation I wouldn't imagine it means much considering it knows the impedance, but all thing's considered look into that first?

As to the external recommendations, I have found that my X570 board with a top notch audio solution is marginally worse than a much more expensive external solution.  However I am spoiled with my experiences and couldn't bear to go onboard again.

What are your audio plans?  Is this your end game or are you going to make audio a sub-hobby?

If endgame I would suggest a schiit fulla.  It would be the cheapest way to get a dac and amp into your chain while being quality and driving your headphones.  If you want to go up in the food chain I'd start looking into a schiit stack or the many other options at $200+.

All of this said, it could be simply a cable problem.but honestly that's a guess.  On paper a 120 ohm headphone with any onboard audio should be acceptable. It could even be your adapter which would be the cheapest solution to your problem.

Well you see, my audio plans are starting with this simple fact : stop buying gaming branded headsets and go with a trusty reliable headphone 

My current situation does not allow me to spend another 200 euro on an external solution and would've taken the hd600's with one if i could  i do appreciate the recommandation and will definetly take a look though ! 

If it were a cable problem i wouldn't have the issue occuring only a few times it would be a constant imo no crackling on my samsung A70 

the adapter was included with headset so i would trust it but you never know at this point 

i ll keep the post open for more suggestions and making sure the program recognises them as headphones or if i should ditch it. 

On 3/27/2022 at 10:36 PM, Neko Yumi said:

Hello everyone,

I have received my brand new SH HD560S and asus strix b550-f gaming (wifi) about a week ago and started having more questions than answers when i looked into my audio crackling issue

with my headphones connected via 6,5 mm to 3,5 mm adapted jacks on the rear green headphone jack on the motherboard, i installed the latest audio drivers from the ASUS website as windows ( store ) also installed the realtek audio console

they are currently reported as "speakers" with the correct impedance ( 120 ohms ) and set to "EXTREME" amplify level by default. No issues occured with this setup until now.

The current issue is noticable audio crackling whenever audio comes in or i pause it in case of a "FLAC" audio file or someone stops talking on discord.

One way to fix this issue is to turn on the pc as usual and then.. restart it. Yes as crazy as it sounds it sometimes fixes it. 

So how do i fix this issue for good? I have heard external audio amp/dacs are a good way to bypass all these confusing realtek... tech ( HD sonata pro being the most recommanded to me ) 

Should i try fixing my headphones misreporting as speakers? Should i even uninstall the audio console and sonic suite of apps?

I really need some guidance here to see how to properly setup all this in software please !

Headphones misreporting as speakers shouldnot really be an issue in the grand scheme of it. If you plug in anything to the 3.5mm out on your motherboard wi does will recognize it as speakers by default  as windows itself cant really recognize what type of gear you have plugged into the motherboard. Headphones or speakers asuio should come out the same out of your motherboard. I really have no clue how to fix your issue. But a good $10 attempt of a fix if your in the US is a apple USB c to 3.5mm dongle. Taking externally like this cheaply is a good way to test out if it's realtek being bad or possibly a deeper issue.

15 hours ago, rice guru said:

Headphones misreporting as speakers shouldnot really be an issue in the grand scheme of it. If you plug in anything to the 3.5mm out on your motherboard wi does will recognize it as speakers by default  as windows itself cant really recognize what type of gear you have plugged into the motherboard. Headphones or speakers asuio should come out the same out of your motherboard. I really have no clue how to fix your issue. But a good $10 attempt of a fix if your in the US is a apple USB c to 3.5mm dongle. Taking externally like this cheaply is a good way to test out if it's realtek being bad or possibly a deeper issue.

That's what i was initially thinking as well i have never seen headphones labelled in realtek softwares.

Unfortunately i am in Belgium so no such apple USB-c to 3.5mm exists here.

after some more digging i came across this post 

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125494-B550-F-Audio-Crackling

the issue seems to be driver related, once i go into the realtek audio console and switch between headphone and front speaker out on the device advanced settings it temporarely solves the problem until next restart as stated.

i'll be continuing more digging but it seems like an external solution might solve this issue since it's driver related.

10 hours ago, Neko Yumi said:

That's what i was initially thinking as well i have never seen headphones labelled in realtek softwares.

Unfortunately i am in Belgium so no such apple USB-c to 3.5mm exists here.

That's fine the EU version is bad anyway

13 hours ago, rice guru said:

That's fine the EU version is bad anyway

A shame although my current fix is somewhat annoying yet efficient 

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2022 at 10:36 PM, Neko Yumi said:

Hello everyone,

Was this problem ever solved? I just got them with the IFI DAC AMP to boost the bass a little bit and I notice the noise when changing song or moving timeline on a video.