Need help choosing between VA or IPS monitors.

Giga Bus Driver

I'm looking to purchase a new 34" Ultrawide monitor for mainly gaming, I don't do any professional editing that needs really accurate colours but somewhat more accurate colours is nice.

I'm mainly looking at the Dell S3422DWG for an affordable, readily available monitor I can purchase right now. Apparently seems to have good reviews but I am somewhat concerned about the VA panel. When online reviews say that VA panel has ghosting and black smearing issues, how bad is it? Also how much worse is the colour output of a VA panel vs an IPS panel?

The other monitor I was looking at was the Benq Mobiuz EX3415R. Thats curved IPS panel at about the same specs as the Dell but around $500 AUD more expensive. I would actually love to get the LG 34GN850 but that's not coming in stock until first of July.

Is $500 more for the Benq IPS worth it over the Dell's VA panel? I just can't get an estimate of how much of a negative VA is compared to IPS. I do like the benefits of the IPS more as black contrast isn't as important to me as ghosting or colour accuracy but what's the actual difference? Is it noticeable or just nitpicking things for reviewers?

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-34gp83a-b-vs-dell-s3422dwg/18229/24247?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

Here's a mathematical comparison between the LG and the Dell. Pre-calibration, the LG is a lot more accurate, but the Dell can get nearly as good once both are calibrated. Though, the color volume is lacking on the Dell. And in the same vain, the IPS LG is lacking in contrast and black/grey uniformity, which I find to be more important. (Plasma and OLED have spoiled me) You said this doesn't matter to you though, and it's easy to see that the LG is better for motion clarity, but the Dell isn't outright bad. 

Unfortunately, RTings hasn't tested the BenQ. 

Have you considered the Gigabyte M34WQ? It's pretty similar to the LG. Still IPS, slightly better contrast, slightly worse black/grey uniformity and motion clarity though. It's also 144hz instead of 160hz. I'm not sure if it's readily available in your area, but in the US it's a fair bit cheaper while not being too far off in terms of overall quality.

I'm not sure when (or if) it's releasing in Australia, but have you considered the Alienware QD-OLED? It's $1300 USD, but that's not too far off the BenQ's MSRP. (Assuming the prices scale accordingly in Australia)

53 minutes ago, Colty said:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-34gp83a-b-vs-dell-s3422dwg/18229/24247?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

Here's a mathematical comparison between the LG and the Dell. Pre-calibration, the LG is a lot more accurate, but the Dell can get nearly as good once both are calibrated. Though, the color volume is lacking on the Dell. And in the same vain, the IPS LG is lacking in contrast and black/grey uniformity, which I find to be more important. (Plasma and OLED have spoiled me) You said this doesn't matter to you though, and it's easy to see that the LG is better for motion clarity, but the Dell isn't outright bad. 

Unfortunately, RTings hasn't tested the BenQ. 

Have you considered the Gigabyte M34WQ? It's pretty similar to the LG. Still IPS, slightly better contrast, slightly worse black/grey uniformity and motion clarity though. It's also 144hz instead of 160hz. I'm not sure if it's readily available in your area, but in the US it's a fair bit cheaper while not being too far off in terms of overall quality.

I'm not sure when (or if) it's releasing in Australia, but have you considered the Alienware QD-OLED? It's $1300 USD, but that's not too far off the BenQ's MSRP. (Assuming the prices scale accordingly in Australia)

Hi, thanks for that. I would very much consider the Gigabyte M34 but there is only the G34WQC which is still a VA panel and seems to get lower results in reviews than the Dell.

Would you perhaps know how big of a difference is between the LG/IPS vs the Dell/VA in the motion clarity aspect? I do know that IPS have much less ghosting but I just don't know how much is the difference. Rtings score of 8.9 doesn't sound bad but as I have no reference point, does that mean that there is ghosting but tolerable?

6 hours ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

Hi, thanks for that. I would very much consider the Gigabyte M34 but there is only the G34WQC which is still a VA panel and seems to get lower results in reviews than the Dell.

Would you perhaps know how big of a difference is between the LG/IPS vs the Dell/VA in the motion clarity aspect? I do know that IPS have much less ghosting but I just don't know how much is the difference. Rtings score of 8.9 doesn't sound bad but as I have no reference point, does that mean that there is ghosting but tolerable?

Ghosting in general is not much worse with VA, but they have a problem with slow pixel response times in dark scenes, making ghosting worse in these.

You can also have a look at the Gigabyte M34WQ, which is a good budget IPS choice.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

None of the usual cons for VA applies for Samsung G7, G9 models (as they're the only "perfect" VA). But still not great for color work (especially pre-calibration), I don't think those panels are in any ultra-wide, + QC was spotty before (though should be better now).

Similarly LG is releasing in the future, new and improved IPS panels (with "OLED" blacks) and improved color gamut.

I second IPS as the best option like mentioned above.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Ghosting in general is not much worse with VA, but they have a problem with slow pixel response times in dark scenes, making ghosting worse in these.

You can also have a look at the Gigabyte M34WQ, which is a good budget IPS choice.

Thanks. I have seen and read that the Gigabyte M34 is a great monitor. However, is it discontinued? I can not find a single one of those and can only find the Gigabyte M34 version which is a curved VA.

1 hour ago, Dogzilla07 said:

None of the usual cons for VA applies for Samsung G7, G9 models (as they're the only "perfect" VA). But still not great for color work (especially pre-calibration), I don't think those panels are in any ultra-wide, + QC was spotty before (though should be better now).

Similarly LG is releasing in the future, new and improved IPS panels (with "OLED" blacks) and improved color gamut.

I second IPS as the best option like mentioned above.

I would 100% go for the Samsung G series if they made a 34" ultrawide version but sadly closest is 32". Do you think there will be any issues with the BenQ Mobiuz's IPS panel or will it be fine? I'm currently stuck with these 2 options as they are the only ones currently in stock (I guess the MSI MPG341CQR is another VA option but its the same price as the Benq IPS but seems to get about the same reviews as Dell).

54 minutes ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

BenQ Mobiuz's IPS panel

I don't remember checking any reviews for it, but I vaguely remember some discussion on some forums about it being good. Also a few people liked HP X34. And yes personally I'd go for IPS, especially due to secondary work requirements you have.