Rechargeable Battery Chargers

Hi, I was looking into converting from disposable batteries to rechargeable batteries. I'm not 100% sure on what to get. These will all be for general home use like wall clocks, tv remotes, Xbox controllers, and some toys for my kids. I've been a fan of LTT for a while, and remember hearing Linus say good things about Eneloop batteries, so I will most likely go with those. After some research online, and the LTT forums, I got a little understanding of proper handling and recharging procedures to ensure I don't kill the batteries. But I'm stuck on what type of charger is best.

• Since being able to control the rate of charge seems important to preserve the life of your rechargeable batteries, I believe I need a smart charger. Preferably one that allows me to manually set the charge rate.
  • I would prefer a charger capable of charging multiple battery types - AA, AAA, C, D and maybe 9v. (I'm not sure if smart chargers can even do that, and if not, then I'll have to buy multiple smart chargers.)
  • I'd like a charger that won't over charge my batteries, (if that's even still a worry in 2022.)

If anyone has any good charger recommendations for my situation/needs, I sure would appreciate your insight. Thanks for your time. 馃檪

I would say stick to non rechargeable batteries for wall clocks ... they're very low power consumption devices and good alkaline batteries should last half a year to a year or so, depending on the clock. Rechargeable batteries are not designed for such low loads and most likely they'll self discharge faster.

For smoke detector / monoxide detector or similar devices that need 9v, maybe consider buying lithium 9v batteries.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 1:29 PM, mariushm said:

I would say stick to non rechargeable batteries for wall clocks ... they're very low power consumption devices and good alkaline batteries should last half a year to a year or so, depending on the clock. Rechargeable batteries are not designed for such low loads and most likely they'll self discharge faster.

For smoke detector / monoxide detector or similar devices that need 9v, maybe consider buying lithium 9v batteries.

Eneloops still work great for wall clocks. I've had a couple up for years and I think I've had to change them once?聽

And I have never had an eneloop blort all over the inside of a thing like I have had with some alkaline batteries. Had a pair of Xbox 360 controllers I forgot in a move. Found them last year with their eneloop batteries still in them. Totally drained, but they were otherwise completely fine.聽

I've had at least a couple maglights ruined by leaking alkaline batteries, well before they drained.聽