Need help with an Intel 12th-Gen Build

POQDavid

Budget (including currency): 3000 USD / 28345 SEK

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming and streaming

Parts lists:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/poqdavid/saved/R4Zcxr with Corsair 7000D Airflow

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/poqdavid/saved/CrqHWZ with Corsair 4000D Airflow

I got two parts list which they got the same parts except the case when I finished building the parts list

for the Corsair 7000D Airflow it says something about the front USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A that won't be usable

but I compared a few other cases which have similar front USB and it didn't give me that message

I was wondering if the Corsair 7000D Airflow would be a waste with the board in the list also not sure if 3070 would fit in Corsair 4000D Airflow

And mainly I want to make an Intel 12th-Gen build that lasts for a good amount of time are those parts good

List: https://se.pcpartpicker.com/list/mrhYH2

If you aren't going to be overclocking and primarily gaming, you can save quite a bit by changing the 12700K and expensive Z series motherboard to an 12700F (Basically within margin of error of the 12700K in games) and an B660 board, with the caveat being that it won't overclock. I would have gone with an H670 board but apparently they aren't available in Sweden? I reallocated the savings to a 3080Ti which puts you ever so slightly over budget. 4000D will fit a big graphics card just fine, just a matter of preference. 

28 minutes ago, ExpiredPancake said:

List: https://se.pcpartpicker.com/list/mrhYH2

If you aren't going to be overclocking and primarily gaming, you can save quite a bit by changing the 12700K and expensive Z series motherboard to an 12700F (Basically within margin of error of the 12700K in games) and an B660 board, with the caveat being that it won't overclock. I would have gone with an H670 board but apparently they aren't available in Sweden? I reallocated the savings to a 3080Ti which puts you ever so slightly over budget. 4000D will fit a big graphics card just fine, just a matter of preference. 

Oh sorry forgot to mention in the post at some point I will overclock and I think that cooler should be fine if want to overclock also

43 minutes ago, POQDavid said:

Oh sorry forgot to mention in the post at some point I will overclock and I think that cooler should be fine if want to overclock also

The 12700k is hot. The NH-D15 is fine for stock operation, but overclocked you pretty much need a good 360mm AIO from Arctic/EK. That said, overclocking a 12700K will only really net a 100-200MHz improvement, a 4% improvement at best. Depending on the test, that's margin of error. If you overclock for fun, yeah sure go 12700K, but if you were planning on overclocking for performance reasons it's not worth the effort. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:56 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

The 12700k is hot. The NH-D15 is fine for stock operation, but overclocked you pretty much need a good 360mm AIO from Arctic/EK. That said, overclocking a 12700K will only really net a 100-200MHz improvement, a 4% improvement at best. Depending on the test, that's margin of error. If you overclock for fun, yeah sure go 12700K, but if you were planning on overclocking for performance reasons it's not worth the effort. 

what about the board I picked is that good or i should go with something like Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO) - PCPartPicker

9 minutes ago, POQDavid said:

what about the board I picked is that good or i should go with something like Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO) - PCPartPicker

The STRIX Z699-E is a good motherboard, no reason to change the choice if you like the board.

You might consider choosing a different PSU. The Seasonic you selected has been replaced with a newer model. If you really want an 80+ Platinum model consider the Seasonic Focus PX or Corsair HX. You might also consider the Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus GX.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, POQDavid said:

The board you picked is fine. The Maximus Hero is just the Strix E with an extra USB header. TBH you could drop down to something lesser like the Aorus Pro and lose no performance whatsoever. Unless you need x8/x8 support, I don't really see a reason to go for the Strix E over other, cheaper boards from MSI or Gigabyte. The VRM solutions aren't much better, Z690 motherboard VRMs range from "plenty for a 12900k" to "plenty for a 3990X" with similar performance across the board excluding the super cheap (sub $200 US) boards from ASRock, so that isn't really a reason to go for a higher tier board. It pretty much comes down to the features of the board, and even that is mostly handled by the cheaper boards. The MSI Z690 Carbon has all the features of the Strix E but for $30 less, Gigabyte Aero D has more for $10 less, and the Aorus Pro has most of the features bar x8/x8 support. If you just really like ASUS BIOS and/or the look of the Strix E, fine get that instead, but I'd probably just go for one of the cheaper boards instead and spend that money on a 12900k and better cooler instead. Again, the Aorus Pro has basically all the same features of the Strix E but for $100 less. 

8 hours ago, brob said:

The STRIX Z699-E is a good motherboard, no reason to change the choice if you like the board.

You might consider choosing a different PSU. The Seasonic you selected has been replaced with a newer model. If you really want an 80+ Platinum model consider the Seasonic Focus PX or Corsair HX. You might also consider the Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus GX.

8 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The board you picked is fine. The Maximus Hero is just the Strix E with an extra USB header. TBH you could drop down to something lesser like the Aorus Pro and lose no performance whatsoever. Unless you need x8/x8 support, I don't really see a reason to go for the Strix E over other, cheaper boards from MSI or Gigabyte. The VRM solutions aren't much better, Z690 motherboard VRMs range from "plenty for a 12900k" to "plenty for a 3990X" with similar performance across the board excluding the super cheap (sub $200 US) boards from ASRock, so that isn't really a reason to go for a higher tier board. It pretty much comes down to the features of the board, and even that is mostly handled by the cheaper boards. The MSI Z690 Carbon has all the features of the Strix E but for $30 less, Gigabyte Aero D has more for $10 less, and the Aorus Pro has most of the features bar x8/x8 support. If you just really like ASUS BIOS and/or the look of the Strix E, fine get that instead, but I'd probably just go for one of the cheaper boards instead and spend that money on a 12900k and better cooler instead. Again, the Aorus Pro has basically all the same features of the Strix E but for $100 less. 

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help I will for sure look in to it and the i9 is really tempting I also changed my case to a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case

7 minutes ago, POQDavid said:

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help I will for sure look in to it and the i9 is really tempting I also changed my case to a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case

The Lancool II Mesh is a nice case. I believe the front panel USB-C port wiring is optional. https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-ii-4x/

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.