How to set up a custom network with Ubuiquiti on Australian NBN HFC?

Nopesef

Hey Guys,

So I'm pretty new to the whole networking thing and have basically zero clue as to what I am doing. I've done the research and I really want to use Ubiquiti gear. One issue though, I am on a budget of $500 AUD so quite tight with the budget. Getting 1 bar of wifi at the back of my house (have Ethernet out there already though) and just really need to improve wifi around the house. What gear from them do I need to get started (preferably Wifi 6 but can live with Wifi 5), already have a Netgear modem that I can but into bridge mode to save money. Maybe so tutorials on how to set it up could also be really useful.

(Btw, I'm using HFC NBN at 100mbps)

Thanks 🙂

if you only have 100mbit land line.. why do you need wifi6? 

it probably will work. but you might have to configure them to use router dhcp but teamed up with eachother. 

12 hours ago, Nopesef said:

Getting 1 bar of wifi at the back of my house (have Ethernet out there already though) and just really need to improve wifi around the house.

It is impossible for anyone to make a recommendation without knowing the site layout and a proper assessment of the wireless signal integrity.

I suggest you use the UniFi Design Center to determine strategic AP placement.

12 hours ago, Nopesef said:

already have a Netgear modem that I can but into bridge mode to save money.

I’m not familiar with the Australian providers, but if you can run the ISP device in bridge mode, you can use your own router behind it.

Budget is going to be variable and dependent on hardware availability in your region. The UDM (non-pro) is a great all-in-one solution which you can build out with switches and more APs, but has a significant up-front cost. It will give good coverage in most American-built homes (with internal walls made of drywall).

At 2 home sites I had the following setup which I can also manage remotely:

Site 1: MODEM -> [ER-X] -> [US-Lite-POE-16] + [UCK-G2+] -> ((U6-Lite)) x2

Site 2: MODEM -> [USG] -> [US-8-POE-60W] + [UCK-G2] -> ((U6-Lite)) x2

The US-8-POE-60W at site 2 is to be replaced by a Lite-POE-16 because the older switch has some problems with rebooting. The Cloud Keys are there for local UniFi Controller hosting.

If you can find an ER-X, ER-X-SFP or USG at a good price, these would be fine. You won’t get UniFi integration with the ER-X or ER-X-SFP since these are from Ubiquiti’s EdgeMax line.

Of course, you can always use your ISP device in gateway mode (without bridge activated) and attach the APs with PoE injectors to start. You can later upgrade to a dedicated UniFi PoE switch and/or router as more funds become available.

11 hours ago, Nopesef said:

I have this switch at one of my home sites. It’s one generation behind the current ‘Lite’ alternatives. The only problem I’ve had with this exact model is that it would take down the entire network if I initiated a reboot or firmware upgrade through the UniFi remote management software. Ultimately, I’ve had to resort to visiting the site to manually power-cycle all devices.

I don’t have this problem with the 16-port Lite alternative.

11 hours ago, Nopesef said:

I use these at both site and they work quite well for home applications. They’re not intended for high density environments like the LR and Pro variants of the same line.

11 hours ago, Robchil said:

it probably will work. but you might have to configure them to use router dhcp but teamed up with eachother. 

WiFi 6 is not just an upgrade in speed, but also an upgrade in how the radios handle more simultaneous client connections.

Furthermore, because the price difference between a U6-Lite and UAP-AC-Lite from Ubiquiti is not that significant, and the fact that the U6-Lite performs even better than it and, in some cases even the nanoHD, the U6-Lite is a smart buy.

Whether you use a Ubiquiti router or another of your own, setup of these APs is not difficult. They can be configured with only a phone app. Not sure what you mean by “teamed up”.

11 hours ago, Robchil said:

Because if I remember correct, Wifi 6 has a higher device capacity does it not? We have a crap ton of devices on our network since it's a 6 person household

13 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I suggest you use the UniFi Design Center to determine strategic AP placement.

Ooo that looks really good, I'll try doing that if I can find a long enough measuring tape

14 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I’m not familiar with the Australian providers, but if you can run the ISP device in bridge mode, you can use your own router behind it.

From what I can find, my router does support bridge mode so that should be all good

17 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Of course, you can always use your ISP device in gateway mode (without bridge activated) and attach the APs with PoE injectors to start. You can later upgrade to a dedicated UniFi PoE switch and/or router as more funds become available

I think that is what I may end up doing to start with and then move up from there as we get some more money to work with

18 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

It’s one generation behind the current ‘Lite’ alternatives. The only problem I’ve had with this exact model is that it would take down the entire network if I initiated a reboot or firmware upgrade through the UniFi remote management software

Ahh okay, good to know. I'll do some more looking around and see if I can find the Lite ones you're talking about at a good price