Asus pg43uq 4k or the LG 38gn950-B 1600p??

RTX MONSTER
Go to solution Solved by RTX MONSTER,
18 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If you're buying high-end the Alienware AW3432DW is by far the best option. It uses a QD-OLED panel, can achieve 1000 nits in HDR, has a real sub-1ms response time, perfect blacks and all the other advantages coming from OLED. The LG is not even worth considering compared to that imo.

Thanks for this recommendation, I did a heap of research last night and I was instantly convinced, it's miles ahead of the others I was looking at. The picture quality is unbelievable, down here in Australia they are also the same price as the LG and the Asus I was looking at, $2300 so it's a win for me 馃憤. Cheers man聽

Hey guys, I've currently got an Asus pg348q ultra wide monitor. Overall its a great monitor but I'm looking for something more as it doesn't have HDR, 1ms response time, local dimming or 144hz refresh rate.聽

I've two choices in mind is either the 43 inch 4K Asus pg43uq which has a va panel, HDR 1000, 1ms response time and a wide colour gamut, but apparently suffers from bad ghosting/halo effect. Can anyone confirm these claims who actually own this monitor?? Is it really that bad? I've watched multiple reviews and got conflicting results. I'm coming from a 5ms ips panel with 100hz refresh rate so not sure how much of a difference there will be.聽

The LG on the other hand is an ips panel 1ms response time, 144hz, HDR 600 and features nano ips technology and also features an excellent colour gamut but is only 3840 x 1600.聽

Has anyone used any of these monitors in question and what are your opinions about them? I'm chasing picture quality and and detail, I've never experienced HDR in person but hear amazing things about them. Currently I have a 2080ti but planning to get a 4000 series when they are available.聽

Can someone please help me out, I'm confused.聽

Cheers聽

<p> I7 4770k @4.4ghz,Corsair H100i, Gigabyte G1 SNIPER 5, 16gb Corsair Dominator platinum memory, Nvidia Geforce GTX 690, 1 x Corsair ssd, 1 x samsung ssd, Corsair AX860 psu, LG dvd/blue ray drive, Lamptron FC8, 2 Corsair AF series Fans, 6 Corsair SP series Fans, Windows 7 ultimate Corsair 760T Arctic White..........What a BEAST :)

18 minutes ago, RTX MONSTER said:

The LG on the other hand is an ips panel 1ms response time, 144hz, HDR 600 and features nano ips technology and also features an excellent colour gamut but is only 3840 x 1600.聽

Former PG348Q owner of 5 years who moved to the LG.聽

I think you need to decide if you like 16:9 or 21:9. Personally, i'll never go back to a 16:9 display so the only real upgrades I saw were the 3840x1600 38" Ultrawides. I could not be happier with the LG聽38GL950G-B paired with my 3090.聽

Are you planning to play games on either of these displays? I'm not sure a GTX 690 is going to cut it.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Former PG348Q owner of 5 years who moved to the LG.聽

I think you need to decide if you like 16:9 or 21:9. Personally, i'll never go back to a 16:9 display so the only real upgrades I saw were the 3840x1600 38" Ultrawides. I could not be happier with the LG聽38GL950G-B paired with my 3090.聽

Are you planning to play games on either of these displays? I'm not sure a GTX 690 is going to cut it.

Thanks for the reply, this monitor will be purchased Purley for gaming. I'm currently using a 2080ti but will be upgrading to the 4000 series when they are available.聽

I love the 21:9 aspect ratio but my current monitor doesn't have the super detailed colours and image quality.聽

How do you find the LG compared to the pg348q in terms of colour and picture quality? Big difference considering they are the same pixel density? How is the HDR compared to not having it prior?聽

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated 馃憤

<p> I7 4770k @4.4ghz,Corsair H100i, Gigabyte G1 SNIPER 5, 16gb Corsair Dominator platinum memory, Nvidia Geforce GTX 690, 1 x Corsair ssd, 1 x samsung ssd, Corsair AX860 psu, LG dvd/blue ray drive, Lamptron FC8, 2 Corsair AF series Fans, 6 Corsair SP series Fans, Windows 7 ultimate Corsair 760T Arctic White..........What a BEAST :)

I'd go with the ultrawide, but I also think the 43" monitor would be too large to comfortably use as a desktop piece.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'd go with the ultrawide, but I also think the 43" monitor would be too large to comfortably use as a desktop piece.

This did cross my mind but would only be used for gaming. Not sure if I would get over the sheer size of it, but it's looks like a pretty impressive panel.聽

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

but I also think the 43" monitor would be too large to comfortably use as a desktop piece.

Can confirm, it's a bit too large. I've got a 43" TV that I have mounted above a triple monitor setup, and when using it I do have to back my chair up 1-2ft in order to comfortably see everything. For controller games it is really nice though, just not really for daily use.聽

9 minutes ago, RTX MONSTER said:

I love the 21:9 aspect ratio but my current monitor doesn't have the super detailed colours and image quality.聽

I've never once thought that about my PG348Q, its been incredible for years.

How do you find the LG compared to the pg348q in terms of colour and picture quality? Big difference considering they are the same pixel density?

I like pixels for desktop real estate, pixel density isn't that important to me. I haven't run them side by side so I haven't noticed a difference in colors.

How is the HDR compared to not having it prior?聽

PC HDR is trash in general so I leave it off. Unless you get an DisplayHDR1000+ monitor, I wouldn't bother.聽

Its bigger and higher resolution, that's what I was after and in that it delivers.聽

37 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Can confirm, it's a bit too large. I've got a 43" TV that I have mounted above a triple monitor setup, and when using it I do have to back my chair up 1-2ft in order to comfortably see everything. For controller games it is really nice though, just not really for daily use.聽

Thanks for confirming the size is to big for general desktop use, appreciate it. Don't have the luxury of sitting far enough away from it as room is a little small.聽

38 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I've never once thought that about my PG348Q, its been incredible for years.

I like pixels for desktop real estate, pixel density isn't that important to me. I haven't run them side by side so I haven't noticed a difference in colors.

PC HDR is trash in general so I leave it off. Unless you get an DisplayHDR1000+ monitor, I wouldn't bother.聽

Its bigger and higher resolution, that's what I was after and in that it delivers.聽

Thanks for answering my questions, cheers man, sounds like it might be a solid contender. She's not cheap but sounds well worth the money.聽

If you're buying high-end the Alienware AW3423DW is by far the best option. It uses a QD-OLED panel, can achieve 1000 nits in HDR, has a real sub-1ms response time, perfect blacks and all the other advantages coming from OLED. The LG is not even worth considering compared to that imo.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

18 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If you're buying high-end the Alienware AW3432DW is by far the best option. It uses a QD-OLED panel, can achieve 1000 nits in HDR, has a real sub-1ms response time, perfect blacks and all the other advantages coming from OLED. The LG is not even worth considering compared to that imo.

Thanks for this recommendation, I did a heap of research last night and I was instantly convinced, it's miles ahead of the others I was looking at. The picture quality is unbelievable, down here in Australia they are also the same price as the LG and the Asus I was looking at, $2300 so it's a win for me 馃憤. Cheers man聽