DuckDuckGo downranks Russian disinformation

steelo

I get it, Russian propaganda is bad. However, this is a VERY slippery slope, I mean, what will they censure next? Will it be based upon their own geo political views? IMO, their job is to serve the information and allow the end user to decide.

DuckDuckGo’s CEO announced on Twitter that the company has "down-ranked" several websites associated with Russian disinformation amid its invasion of Ukraine. 

DuckDuckGo is a search engine that allows users to surf the web without anyone tracking their history, according to the website. 

"Like so many others I am sickened by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the gigantic humanitarian crisis it continues to create. #StandWithUkraine

In addition to "down-ranking" websites aimed to spread disinformation about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the company is also providing quick links to credible sources of information as events of the invasion unfold, Weinberg added. 

Some users of DuckDuckGo were not thrilled with Weinberg’s announcement as the limitations put on websites allegedly linked to Russian disinformation go against the reason the search engine was formed in the first place. 

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/duckduckgo-down-ranks-websites-linked-to-russian-disinformation-ceo-says

I suppose the question to ask is do they have a duty to make sure the information the search engine provides meets some kind of standard or not and if so to what degree?

Just now, bmx6454 said:

duck duck go has been going downhill for some time now, not surprised that they are outright censoring now.

It's a shame because it seemed to be the best mobile browser while (supposedly) protecting your data and not skewing search results.

1 minute ago, HeroRareheart said:

I suppose the question to ask is do they have a duty to make sure the information the search engine provides meets some kind of standard or not and if so to what degree?

this is dangerous though, no matter where you align politically. who decides what the "standards" are? you may agree with them one day, then disagree the next. i agree with op that information should be freely given, and allow people to decide for themselves.

<-- Thread Locked -->

Please join the original discussion here: 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card