Apartment Internet Speed

AliLaToon

I just moved into an apartment and I just got my internet running here. I am using their Modem they provide (because mine wouldn't work with their ISP). 

My current speeds after a speed test from SpeedTest.com 

Download speed Mbps: 31.10

Upload speed Mbps: 1.39

Ping: 47

What can I do to improve this when I am already connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable.

7 minutes ago, Votivee said:

What are the speeds you pay for?

I think 50 mbps but I can pay for an upgrade to 100 mbps

What is the full speed you're paying for, you listed download but not upload. What is this "modem" they provided, make/model. Is your PC wired or wireless?

10 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Is there any others using that connection in the apartment.

Nope its just me, myself, and I. I currently only have this computer connected through the one ethernet port on the modem. 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What is the full speed you're paying for, you listed download but not upload. What is this "modem" they provided, make/model. Is your PC wired or wireless?

50 Mbps I believe is the full speed I am paying for. 

The modem is a Cisco and model DPC3010

2 minutes ago, AliLaToon said:

50 Mbps I believe is the full speed I am paying for. 

The modem is a Cisco and model DPC3010

So 50 Down and 50 Up?

That Cisco modem is a true modem, no router functionality. Do you have any other network devices between that modem and your PC? You didn't answer the wired/wireless question.

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

So 50 Down and 50 Up?

That Cisco modem is a true modem, no router functionality. Do you have any other network devices between that modem and your PC? You didn't answer the wired/wireless question.

I answered it above thought you may have saw it. But imy PC is wired directly to the modem right now. Also getting a router monday as well.

I am confused when you say 50 down and 50 up 

Just now, LWM723 said:

Download and upload speed which you already answered.

Do you have any solutions aside from just upgrading my Mbps to 100 

11 minutes ago, AliLaToon said:

I answered it above thought you may have saw it. But imy PC is wired directly to the modem right now. Also getting a router monday as well.

I am confused when you say 50 down and 50 up 

You listed that in a reply to someone else. I clicked the notification of your reply to me which took me directly to it and I did not see anything above. 

6 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Download and upload speed which you already answered.

He absolutely did not, he posted his speedtest results, not the download AND upload speed he is paying his ISP. Only download. Read!

5 minutes ago, AliLaToon said:

If you're wired directly to that modem and only achieving ~30Mb/s but paying for 50, check with your ISP and re-run speedtests at different times of day, congestion during peak hours is a thing. I can't comment on your upload speed as you still didn't specify what it is you're paying for. Bandwidth happens in two directions.

Who is your ISP?

16 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You listed that in a reply to someone else. I clicked the notification of your reply to me which took me directly to it and I did not see anything above. 

He absolutely did not, he posted his speedtest results, not the download AND upload speed he is paying his ISP. Only download. Read!

If you're wired directly to that modem and only achieving ~30Mb/s but paying for 50, check with your ISP and re-run speedtests at different times of day, congestion during peak hours is a thing. I can't comment on your upload speed as you still didn't specify what it is you're paying for. Bandwidth happens in two directions.

Who is your ISP?

I was never told by my apartment complex what my upload speed would be just the 50mbps. 

I am going to research how to check how congested the internet is here. 

Though I am going to try the TCP Optimizer before I think look into upgrading to 100 

19 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Try TCPOptimizer and set it to optimal.

People still use this thing on modern Windows systems?

24 minutes ago, AliLaToon said:

Talk to your ISP. Show them the numbers. And highlight that those are the speeds while directly connected to their modem with ethernet.

Speeds can vary depending on the time of day and how much utilization there is at your node. In an apartment complex where several other tenants might be using the same ISP, this is not surprising.

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

People still use this thing on modern Windows systems?

Talk to your ISP. Show them the numbers. And highlight that those are the speeds while directly connected to their modem with ethernet.

Speeds can vary depending on the time of day and how much utilization there is at your node. In an apartment complex where several other tenants might be using the same ISP, this is not surprising.

Yeah I mean ya aint wrong. Just trying to find a way to boost my numbers in any way possible. I appreciate the advice though none the less.

Contact your ISP and keep badgering their tech support until they do a full test on your line.

The upload test indicates a big problem. 

13 hours ago, AliLaToon said:

I was never told by my apartment complex what my upload speed would be just the 50mbps. 

I am going to research how to check how congested the internet is here. 

Though I am going to try the TCP Optimizer before I think look into upgrading to 100 

Well you have a Docsis 3.0 modem consider faster upload is only available on Gigabit from most Coax based ISP's Im going to have you probably have 5 or 10 Mbps upload. Thats at least on par with Comcast, WOW, and Charter here in the US. 

Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 rely on Channel Bonding. Taking multiple frequencies and using them for download and upload. In some cases channels can become over used. In some cases different channels could have interference. Keep in mind the cable company uses the same bands as Radio, Broadcast TV and Cellular networks, its just being broadcasted down a coax cable. When cables or connectors become damaged these wireless signals can enter the cable network causing interference and potentially causing speed and connectivity issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Well you have a Docsis 3.0 modem consider faster upload is only available on Gigabit from most Coax based ISP's Im going to have you probably have 5 or 10 Mbps upload. Thats at least on par with Comcast, WOW, and Charter here in the US. 

Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 rely on Channel Bonding. Taking multiple frequencies and using them for download and upload. In some cases channels can become over used. In some cases different channels could have interference. Keep in mind the cable company uses the same bands as Radio, Broadcast TV and Cellular networks, its just being broadcasted down a coax cable. When cables or connectors become damaged these wireless signals can enter the cable network causing interference and potentially causing speed and connectivity issues. 

So do you think even if I get a package plan with 100 Mbps (I currently have 50Mbps plan) they wouldnt mean my ping would be lowered when I play games online?

No, to improve your ping try switching DNS servers. DNSJumper makes it easy. Try cloudflare google, quad9 or other DNS servers.

47 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

No, to improve your ping try switching DNS servers. DNSJumper makes it easy. Try cloudflare google, quad9 or other DNS servers.

I will look into that tonight! I really appreciate all the help! I will let you know if it works and how well!